PDA

View Full Version : Fedora vs Debian - Package Releases

CocoAUS
May 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I'm wondering Fedora's packages compared to Debian Sid's. Are they both updated regularly? I know that Fedora 7 testing presently has packages which are head-to-head with Sid's, but what about after the final release? Will Fedora 7's packages continue to be updated as quickly, or will they slow down, or even cease?

igknighted
May 29th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I'm wondering Fedora's packages compared to Debian Sid's. Are they both updated regularly? I know that Fedora 7 testing presently has packages which are head-to-head with Sid's, but what about after the final release? Will Fedora 7's packages continue to be updated as quickly, or will they slow down, or even cease?

It's a middle ground between Ubuntu's no updates and Sid's breakneck pace. For example, FC6 is using a 2.6.20 kernel (it was released with a 2.6.17 like edgy I think... maybe 2.6.18), but as far as I know the default OO.o version is still at 2.04 (like it was at release time). Some apps get updated and others do not. It doesn't rival sid, but is far more up to date than Ubuntu.