PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy hardware and software from Canonical?

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Here's a hypothetical for you:

If Canonical sold Ubuntu-compatible games and other softwares, etc. through Ubuntu.com would you buy them?
Suppose that these games and other software were available as a repo on disk so that dependencies were not an issue, would you buy that? from them?

Suppose that you could purchase Ubuntu-tested digital music players, cameras, printers, scanners, etc. through Ubuntu.com would you like that? Players and devices that promote open standards like .ogg, etc.

Suppose that you were able to purchase complete OEM systems through one of Ubuntu's partners, directly from ubuntu.com. Would you buy that? as a gift, etc? What about tested parts like motherboards and, more importantly, wireless cards? Would you like to have a single throat to choke to purchase those with known compatibility?

What I'm proposing is, that if enough of us felt this kind of strong partnership, and selling from Canonical themselves, would be beneficial to us (and to them, as it would allow them to make money) perhaps we could get some kind of a petition going to Canonical to form stronger partnerships and help us attain hardware and software that is free (speech). I understand that most companies do not, and will not, respond to e-petitions; but Canonical has been very consistent in listening to user demands wherever possible.

What do you all think?

Polygon
May 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would only do this if they were "linux tested", not just "ubuntu tested". Cause if we start doing this only for ubuntu, then we are no better then just having windows compatible stuff.

if its "linux tested" that means for hardware the drivers are already in the kernel and they should work on any recent distribution, but having a repo for commercial games that you buy and having updates for the game uploaded to the repos and distributed that way would be cool.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I would only do this if they were "linux tested", not just "ubuntu tested". Cause if we start doing this only for ubuntu, then we are no better then just having windows compatible stuff.

if its "linux tested" that means for hardware the drivers are already in the kernel and they should work on any recent distribution, but having a repo for commercial games that you buy and having updates for the game uploaded to the repos and distributed that way would be cool.

I considered that, but that is simply asking too much. When you say Linux tested, which version are you referring too? Are you referring to Ubuntu's heavily modified kernel with more than 200 megabytes of additional free drivers made available? Or are you referring to Mandriva's kernel? Maybe Gentoo's? Or Slackware's? You get my point.

It has to stop somewhere. Canonical does not provide support services for slackware, or PCLinuxOS, or any other so far as I know, and there is a good reason for that. Because it's impractical and nigh impossible to support every single distribution in existence, so I'm going to propose that we relegate this to strictly Ubuntu.

aysiu
May 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I disagree. Even if the hardware is Ubuntu-tested, we are still better than Windows. Windows closes off and DRMs everything. Ubuntu uses open code and open standards. So if a device is Ubuntu-compatible, it will also be compatible with other Linux distros (definitely by the next Linux kernel release).

There is no such thing as software being Linux-tested, of course. A binary would have to be compiled for Ubuntu and then for every other Linux distribution (RPM for Fedora, RPM for SuSE, etc.).

Hex_Mandos
May 28th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Sure, I would.

Ireclan
May 28th, 2007, 09:54 PM
The scenario you describe is a dream come true! Of course I would buy from Canonical, whenever possible. However, Canonical might not have enough resources to put this plan into action. Then there's the MAJOR problem- what if the various companies don't want to cooperate with Canonical? I can see that happening, companies these days generally being fearful of open source "talk" and all...

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 10:02 PM
The scenario you describe is a dream come true! Of course I would buy from Canonical, whenever possible. However, Canonical might not have enough resources to put this plan into action. Then there's the MAJOR problem- what if the various companies don't want to cooperate with Canonical? I can see that happening, companies these days generally being fearful of open source "talk" and all...

It took a few hundred thousand screaming Ubuntu fans to make Dell buckle and serve up Ubuntu. Canonical has the leverage of saying:

"Our platform has between 2 million and 10 million users, currently"

In addition to the common sense things that:

The open vendor will win, this is just how things go.
Cooperating with Canonical is in no way a bad business move, even if Canonical wants to take a cut from the hardware/software sales (which it may not, because the business may just become a partner)

The company that cooperates with Canonical has not just opened itself up to 2-10 million users, it just made 2-10 million fans. The open source community at large has a tendency to reward those that treat them right, these businesses will learn that I think. But just like it took several hundred thousand demanding Ubuntu on these DELL systems, this will not happen without a lot of demand being placed on it. What I'm trying to figure out is if the demand is there.

Bachstelze
May 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I would buy hardware if I have a need for it and if it's reasonably priced (i.e. I would not pay extra $50 for an Ubuntu sticker on it). I would not buy software because everything I need is already available for free :)

use a name
May 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I would. Hardware mainly, as I do not have any software desires unmet atm. But hey, things may change. :)

DucentiVigintiDuo
May 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I'd definitely go for the hardware that's Ubuntu-tested (I'm having trouble finding printer drivers and this bugs me a great deal, same goes for other hardware problems) but I wouldn't buy software either, that's kind of redundant seeing as there's already free software out there for Ubuntu and Linux in general. :)

If it doesn't work, you try something else. Simple as that. But, once again, I'd definitely go for the Ubuntu-tested hardware.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'd definitely go for the hardware that's Ubuntu-tested (I'm having trouble finding printer drivers and this bugs me a great deal, same goes for other hardware problems) but I wouldn't buy software either, that's kind of redundant seeing as there's already free software out there for Ubuntu and Linux in general. :)

If it doesn't work, you try something else. Simple as that. But, once again, I'd definitely go for the Ubuntu-tested hardware.

I notice you all are saying that perhaps free-software wouldn't appeal, but I think I would rather like have repo-disks for things like Open Office, etc. Physical copies of pure free-software are beneficial because they can be given as gifts, distributed to people without internet connections, etc. For most of us the repos are effective, but there are a wide variety of circumstances where they're not as effective.

Bachstelze
May 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I've done it countless times but that's different. When you buy a physical copy of some Free software, you pay for the nice disc and packaging and to support the project. You don't pay for the software itself.

ThinkBuntu
May 28th, 2007, 10:24 PM
No chance that I would, as long as other free, excellent distributions are out there (and they are). Especially as long as Debian is still kicking, and can run on everything from my laptop to my microwave.

Bachstelze
May 28th, 2007, 10:46 PM
No chance that I would, as long as other free, excellent distributions are out there (and they are). Especially as long as Debian is still kicking, and can run on everything from my laptop to my microwave.

Even Debian needs money to make, you know...

IgnacioMiller
May 28th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I would sure buy hardware from Canonical. It would give me the piece of mind of having supported a vendor that supports open source technologies, and it would save me a lot of headaches too! Not only that, but it would make Canonical some spare change to use on my favorite Linux distribution. What could be better than that?

smoker
May 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
hi,

imo i think that canonical should stick with what it is good at, and that is producing and supporting free and open software. companies that branch out in different fields, tend to after a while, lose focus on their origins, and the more they diversify, the more accountants and lawyers come into the equation, and one day soon, they are the ones that are running things and everything becomes about profit and loss.

i am not saying canonical shouldn't make money, far from it, and i wish them the best. but being good at one thing doesn't mean you'll be a success at others. besides, what would dell, and perhaps other oems thinking of coming aboard the ubuntu wagon, think if canonical decided to start direct competition against them?

on the software side, everything i need is free, so i cannot visualise me paying for any in the foreseeable future. i know CNR, if it comes to fruition will include payware for whomever desires it...

juxtaposed
May 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I don't buy software, but hardware, probably.

If it was a choice between some normal name brand hardware thing and a canonical hardware thing that will work on linux, and the features were comparable and the price was close, i'd probably go for the canonical one.

I'd love to support freedom, but I probably couldn't right when something came out just to show support (I couldn't afford that) - i'd wait till I need whatever it is.

ThinkBuntu
May 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Even Debian needs money to make, you know...
I'd sooner pay $50 for Debian (3DVD) than $10 for Ubuntu (1CD). They do the critical development (as well as most of the development as a whole).

tehkain
May 29th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I'd buy hardware with a 'supported by ubuntu' tag if they met my needs. As for software I have very little need for proprietary software at the moment but I would buy games. If ubuntu worked some of the opengl game developers for a linux version that was 'ubuntu ready' or distributed for ubuntu, maybe in the form of a repo CD or a digital download, I would buy it.

So if ubuntu approached iDsoft or ravensoft to make a linux release of a new UT/quake/doom that canonical would distribute I would purchase it.

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM

You mean to tell me that instead of having the complete option to purchase hardware and software (read: not forced, but just for your convenience) you would rather switch distributions? I don't think you understood the proposal, I'm not suggesting that Ubuntu should be charged for at all.

KiwiNZ
May 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I notice you all are saying that perhaps free-software wouldn't appeal, but I think I would rather like have repo-disks for things like Open Office, etc. Physical copies of pure free-software are beneficial because they can be given as gifts, distributed to people without internet connections, etc. For most of us the repos are effective, but there are a wide variety of circumstances where they're not as effective.

They can be found on many Magazine Cover disks . But yes its a good idea , I have my own compilation that I give away

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2007, 04:03 AM
They can be found on many Magazine Cover disks . But yes its a good idea , I have my own compilation that I give away

Linux Format out of England is great for this I have a nice collection of DVD's that they package with their magazine.

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Linux Format out of England is great for this I have a nice collection of DVD's that they package with their magazine.

Right, good example of how to distribute .deb files on disk.

KiwiNZ
May 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Yep Linux Format is good and and so is Linux- Magazine http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/80 the July edition has a familiar Distro on it

ThinkBuntu
May 29th, 2007, 05:28 AM
If these products were open-source, then I'd compile them myself and run them on my preferred distro.

EdThaSlayer
May 29th, 2007, 05:45 AM
That would be pretty cool, following Apple's way of doing things. Wel, if they can deliver globally then why not have something like this?

steven8
May 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Yes, I would. Without hesitation.

hellmet
May 29th, 2007, 06:17 AM
If you're talking about Canonical partnering with various h/w vendors to make their h/w Linux compatible.. then I'd definitely praise Canonical for that. That'd help the entire Linux community as a whole..

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM
If you're talking about Canonical partnering with various h/w vendors to make their h/w Linux compatible.. then I'd definitely praise Canonical for that. That'd help the entire Linux community as a whole..

In a way... that would probably be an end result.

What I'm proposing is that Canonical should partner with companies that are already more open source friendly than others are. To make much-needed hardware available through Ubuntu.com, in otherwords Ubuntu.com might become the one-stop shop for any hardware you need for Ubuntu.

hellmet
May 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Oh alright. Anyway its a great idea.

brim4brim
May 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Don't they have an Ubuntu compatible hardware test thing already?

If not they should because I'd like to buy printers and the like, knowing they'd work with Ubuntu.

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Don't they have an Ubuntu compatible hardware test thing already?

If not they should because I'd like to buy printers and the like, knowing they'd work with Ubuntu.

They have a test, but I'm proposing that Ubuntu.com should offer the hardware through the mainsite. Making it easy to come-by and purchase, so that adoption is even easier.

dca
May 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I think this whole Dell thing is causing us to miss something. I pointed out somewhere before that if Ubuntu is so great, why is it only the desktop being offered, not the server edition on PowerEdge? I guess that still belongs to RH & Novell (Thanks to the deal w/ MS & Dell)??? The only good news on the desktop side is exposure to the product... Canonical's business model is identical to RH & Novell in offering support for something that is generally free. If this is the only way Ubuntu can push into the US market is by the desktop than so be it. I know people will scream, but I would've started w/ 606LTS on the Dell(s) first.

lyceum
May 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Living in the US, I would have to say yes, as using your PC for "fun" stuff seems to be illegal here. I have heard that the legal video player Linspire's CNR sells does not work very well. If Canonical can do better, yes!

:popcorn:

SonicSteve
May 31st, 2007, 05:40 PM
I would love to see them release Ubuntu compatible (and affordable) music players based on OGG. I'm looking for one right now.

lyceum
May 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I would love to see them release Ubuntu compatible (and affordable) music players based on OGG. I'm looking for one right now.

I posted somthing about that on Mark Shuttleworth's blog a while back (6 months ago). I would love to see a program that would install an Ubuntu compatable program on PDA's and MP3 players to make them Ubuntu PDAs and Ubuntu MP3 (or OGG players would be better). So get Ubuntu free, buy these programs? I would do it!. Plug in the device, shell out the chash and watch the machine transform inriched by Ubuntu :D