PDA

View Full Version : Facebook- Social networking done right?

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Has anyone bothered checking out FaceBook's new applications lately? They're the complete and total opposite of Myspace. I've been a Facebook user for a while, but I've never been more happy with the service they're offering, really.

If you're not using it I highly advise you to check it out, it's amazing now :D

If you are using it, what do you think about the applications? I'm particularly fond of Piknik.

MarzipanFish
May 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well it might result in me wasting even more time on it... Which is kind of a bad thing! I've not tried many out yet, just a poking one and attempting to play a game (it didnt work)

I think it's a very clever site, particularly the way the photos are done compared to other profile sites :)

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Well it might result in me wasting even more time on it... Which is kind of a bad thing! I've not tried many out yet, just a poking one and attempting to play a game (it didnt work)

I think it's a very clever site, particularly the way the photos are done compared to other profile sites :)

I love the iLike application as it's the way music should be done on social networks. You display songs you like and the person can opt to hear a 30 (or so) second preview of the song. Good stuff, really.

MarzipanFish
May 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I love the iLike application as it's the way music should be done on social networks. You display songs you like and the person can opt to hear a 30 (or so) second preview of the song. Good stuff, really.

That sounds pretty good, can you only select from a set list or upload stuff? I dread people being able to make songs play as soon as you go on their profile though, one of my main gripes about myspace is the interruption of the music i'm already playing with someone's invariably annoying profile song that they set to play automatically...

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM
That sounds pretty good, can you only select from a set list or upload stuff? I dread people being able to make songs play as soon as you go on their profile though, one of my main gripes about myspace is the interruption of the music i'm already playing with someone's invariably annoying profile song that they set to play automatically...

They have a list of them already, I *think* you can upload things but don't hold me to that...

MarzipanFish
May 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
They have a list of them already, I *think* you can upload things but don't hold me to that...

ah, i've added it now & it seems quite nice, although a lot of the bands i would have added songs by were on the list but had no audio clips :(

starcraft.man
May 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, call me a grump but I never got into Myspace, I don't see a reason to get into facebook (call me extra grumpy, but there are much more effective ways to get similar/different bands to what your listening to than that app). I keep in touch with my friends/family via the phone, IM, email, forums, and of course in person. I never really figured out why someone would want to put their whole life on a site so everyone in the world could see it, not to mention predators/fraudsters and imposters.

aysiu
May 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I don't really feel like signing up for another social networking site, but people keep raving about Facebook. So I have to ask, can you explain to someone who's never used it before (i.e., me) what's so great about it? Please explain exactly what it does and exactly what's great about it. The Facebook website doesn't really tell me what it does.

How, for example, is it better than (not that I could imagine it being worse than) Friendster?

christhemonkey
May 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Facebook is amazing, much much better than myspace.
Especially as the people on it are (generally) much more mature and the actual profile is not customisable in not-quite-html,
that really pissed me off about myspace...

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I don't really feel like signing up for another social networking site, but people keep raving about Facebook. So I have to ask, can you explain to someone who's never used it before (i.e., me) what's so great about it? Please explain exactly what it does and exactly what's great about it. The Facebook website doesn't really tell me what it does.

How, for example, is it better than (not that I could imagine it being worse than) Friendster?

I can't promise you I'll be convincing, but I'll try to explain to the best of my ability.

Facebook, first off, is (in the opinion of many) 'Myspace done right'. When you join facebook you can join different things called 'networks'. Networks can be limited to region, school, work, etc. and serve to connect you to everyone else who is in that same network (For instance I am in the 'Morgantown, WV' network).
You can also add friends of course, just like Myspace, and friends represent another kind of network.

You can then utilize the services of the site to connect and interface with your network, and your friends, in more fun and productive manners. Meeting new people, and keeping in touch with the ones you already know.

Facebook features currently span a wide range from a craigslist-like 'marketplace' to a 'Twitter' like updates feature. Much of common web-2.0 functionality is being built right into the site, and now that the site has become a 'social utility' on which developers can build, it has become even greater.

So, for instance, I have a laptop sitting next to me that I would like to sell. I can put that laptop on the 'marketplace' and let everyone in my networks see it. Etc. Before the website became more open, it was much more possible to tell you exactly what the website was capable of, but now that it's a developer platform it's VERY extensible.

Also, one of the major appeals to me is the incredible privacy controls, I can control exactly who can see what of my personal information, which allows me to stay safe and still have fun.

smiggs
May 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM

If you want music social networking I suggest you checkout Last FM (http://last.fm), they appear to have aquired licenses for full playback on a lot of music.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
If you want music social networking I suggest you checkout Last FM (http://last.fm), they appear to have aquired licenses for full playback on a lot of music.

I know about last.fm we're talking about direct integration into the facebook site.

aysiu
May 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Adamant1988. It sounds interesting, but I don't think it's going to add anything useful to my life.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Adamant1988. It sounds interesting, but I don't think it's going to add anything useful to my life.

Yeah, I thought that for a while too... as a person who's signed up on virtually every social site you've heard of (and probably many that you haven't) I can say that Facebook is one of the best websites of it's breed that I've ever seen, and it's the most ambitious too.

It is one of those things you have to use for a little while to understand the benefits of it, because the sites benefits to me are not the same to you. I care about having the market place and the "causes" application, you might not. It's one of those sites that you mold into something that DOES add something to your life.

reclusivemonkey
May 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM
What's so amazing about Facebook is how they managed to persuade so many people to give up so much information about themselves without considering how its going to be used.

http://albumoftheday.com/facebook/

Someone at work bugged me to sign up. I did with my usual moniker of "reclusivemonkey". Facebook told me to use my real name! Why on earth do they need my real name? I made up another name of course, but I was always suspicious. When I saw the above link though it all dropped into place. I am very skeptical of most conspiracy theories, but this one really rung true.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 09:26 PM
What's so amazing about Facebook is how they managed to persuade so many people to give up so much information about themselves without considering how its going to be used.

Someone at work bugged me to sign up. I did with my usual moniker of "reclusivemonkey". Facebook told me to use my real name! Why on earth do they need my real name? I made up another name of course, but I was always suspicious. When I saw the above link though it all dropped into place. I am very skeptical of most conspiracy theories, but this one really rung true.

That link is quite possibly one of the most paranoid things I have ever sat through. If you put that information ANYWHERE on the internet, it WILL become available to people who want it. If you need proof, it's not difficult to attain a person's social security number over the web.

a12ctic
May 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think social networks are ridiculous in general. I have a myspace, but mostly to keep in contact/check with Chicagos local metal/hardcore scene.

reclusivemonkey
May 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
That link is quite possibly one of the most paranoid things I have ever sat through. If you put that information ANYWHERE on the internet, it WILL become available to people who want it. If you need proof, it's not difficult to attain a person's social security number over the web.

LOL How did I know you were going to say that.

Two points;

I have never been to a site which told me I could not have reclusivemonkey for a name, and tried to insist I use my real name. Obviously I can make up another fake name, but why do they bother?

Find my social security number. I'll even help you out by telling you its called a "National Insurance Number" here in the UK.

I'm quite aware that any information you put on the net is widely available. That's why I don't put things on. You entirely missed my point, which was that facebook has made so many people readily give up this information.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think social networks are ridiculous in general. I have a myspace, but mostly to keep in contact/check with Chicagos local metal/hardcore scene.

I find that Facebook is a social networking site I can actually use, for instance:

I'm using the 'Causes' application to attempt to help raise open-source awareness and attain funds to be donated to open source, as well as some other things that are important to me such as Cancer research.

I'm also using the market place to sell things like my Laptop, as well as offer my services installing Linux on a persons computer.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM
LOL How did I know you were going to say that.

Two points;

I have never been to a site which told me I could not have reclusivemonkey for a name, and tried to insist I use my real name. Obviously I can make up another fake name, but why do they bother?

Find my social security number. I'll even help you out by telling you its called a "National Insurance Number" here in the UK.

I'm quite aware that any information you put on the net is widely available. That's why I don't put things on. You entirely missed my point, which was that facebook has made so many people readily give up this information.

Well, I readily use my first and last name, my screen names, my email address (the one I actually do use), and my mailing address on websites. So obviously this is not a privacy concern for me, had the site started inquiring about important numbers like my social security number, or any other number that could be used to completely ruin my life, I would have had to ponder that and give the privacy policy a good read over.

But really, I put nothing on Facebook that I had any issue with being publicly available. I'm not shy about who I am, and I see no reason to be. Which is another reason I'm perfectly fine using my photo as an Avatar on these forums.

You'll notice that even on the Ubuntu forums website you can get any online contact information you want on me. All of those IM services I have linked in my profile are valid and I use them, and I have my profile set to allow emails to come from members of the forum.

EDIT:

Would a moderator be so kind as to split any posts concerning Facebook's privacy policy into a separate thread (probably the backyard)? They're really not relevant to the topic at hand IMO.

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Has anyone bothered checking out FaceBook's new applications lately? They're the complete and total opposite of Myspace. I've been a Facebook user for a while, but I've never been more happy with the service they're offering, really.

If you're not using it I highly advise you to check it out, it's amazing now :D

If you are using it, what do you think about the applications? I'm particularly fond of Piknik.Actually I tried Facebook recently but honestly I prefer Multiply (http://multiply.com/).

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM
For music I prefer purevolume. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purevolume.com%2F&ei=jUlbRq3pCZDgwQKM_oSjBQ&usg=AFrqEze1klPUuQvP96GgDdMKFiTeN-E7hg&sig2=rGJA-PYYG7gQuaHgWpTkGg)

tcpip4lyfe
May 29th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Umm that link makes me want to considering canceling my facebook account.

KiwiNZ
May 29th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Well, I readily use my first and last name, my screen names, my email address (the one I actually do use), and my mailing address on websites. So obviously this is not a privacy concern for me, had the site started inquiring about important numbers like my social security number, or any other number that could be used to completely ruin my life, I would have had to ponder that and give the privacy policy a good read over.

But really, I put nothing on Facebook that I had any issue with being publicly available. I'm not shy about who I am, and I see no reason to be. Which is another reason I'm perfectly fine using my photo as an Avatar on these forums.

You'll notice that even on the Ubuntu forums website you can get any online contact information you want on me. All of those IM services I have linked in my profile are valid and I use them, and I have my profile set to allow emails to come from members of the forum.

EDIT:

Would a moderator be so kind as to split any posts concerning Facebook's privacy policy into a separate thread (probably the backyard)? They're really not relevant to the topic at hand IMO.

Their privacy policy is part of the site , these are peoples views of the site and are relevant to the subject. It goes to overall user experience

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Their privacy policy is part of the site , these are peoples views of the site and are relevant to the subject. It goes to overall user experience

Understood. Either way, I don't have an issue trusting FaceBook with the data I've given them.

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Umm that link makes me want to considering canceling my facebook account.

Just wear your Tin foil hat and boxers while on Facebook and you should be fine.

KiwiNZ
May 29th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Just wear your Tin foil hat and boxers while on Facebook and you should be fine.

Tin foil boxers ????? now thats gotta chafe bad :p

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Tin foil boxers ????? now thats gotta chafe bad :p

I would suspect so.

As for privacy concerns... consider this:

We live in an age where, if you accept cookies from advertisements, everything you do online can be tracked by a cookie. Honestly, Facebook is not asking for anything that thousands of other sites do not ask you for, and it is entirely your choice to submit most of that information.

You don't have to make any more available than you're comfortable with, and frankly, your first and last name, your email, and your birthdate is already widely available information anyway.

KiwiNZ
May 29th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I would suspect so.

We live in an age where, if you accept cookies from advertisements, everything you do online can be tracked by a cookie. Honestly, Facebook is not asking for anything that thousands of other sites do not ask you for, and it is entirely your choice to submit most of that information.

You don't have to make any more available than you're comfortable with, and frankly, your first and last name, your email, and your birthdate is already widely available information anyway.

Very true

house7
May 29th, 2007, 06:12 AM
For music I prefer purevolume. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purevolume.com%2F&ei=jUlbRq3pCZDgwQKM_oSjBQ&usg=AFrqEze1klPUuQvP96GgDdMKFiTeN-E7hg&sig2=rGJA-PYYG7gQuaHgWpTkGg)

Haven't you heard about VIRB (http://virb.com)? It's a same developer that create purevolume. VIRB is a nice social networking thing, actually.. but i don't have my real friends using VIRB. Friendster is more popular than Virb, mySpace or Facebook (in my country). :)

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Haven't you heard about VIRB (http://virb.com)? It's a same developer that create purevolume. VIRB is a nice social networking thing, actually.. but i don't have my real friends using VIRB. Friendster is more popular than Virb, mySpace or Facebook (in my country). :)

I'm not terribly impressed by anything virb has offered up, I got involved with it while it was a closed beta and it really is just another face in the crowd, IMO.

MarzipanFish
May 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I use facebook a lot. The myspace i made was short lived, but i've no intention of deleting the facebook account.
It was created for university students (originally a valid university email had to be provided to sign up at all) and its main users are still uni students (and possibly also now younger students).
The majority of people i know use it, which is probably why i use it a lot. It's convenient if you've got a lot of people to keep in contact with from different cities and to organise parties, look at photos etc.

just a fairly long winded example:
I could click a few buttons & send invites to my bithday party in a couple of minutes. Much easier and cheaper than phoning or texting, i probably won't see everyone i'd like to invite in time, and it'd be a pain trying to track down all the email addresses. 24 hours later, i know how many people are coming, how many might turn up for a bit, and how many can't make it, along with discussing where to meet on the message board.

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to people without lots of friends on there already, it seems predominantly a way of keeping in touch with existing friends rather than making new ones. I've not contacted or been contacted by anyone i'm not friends with in real life on there, although i have sent messages to old school friends i've not seen for 7 years.

In other news, the fire alarm just did a test which scared me so i jumped and hit my knee on the desk, ouch :(

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I use facebook a lot. The myspace i made was short lived, but i've no intention of deleting the facebook account.
It was created for university students (originally a valid university email had to be provided to sign up at all) and its main users are still uni students (and possibly also now younger students).
The majority of people i know use it, which is probably why i use it a lot. It's convenient if you've got a lot of people to keep in contact with from different cities and to organise parties, look at photos etc.

just a fairly long winded example:
I could click a few buttons & send invites to my bithday party in a couple of minutes. Much easier and cheaper than phoning or texting, i probably won't see everyone i'd like to invite in time, and it'd be a pain trying to track down all the email addresses. 24 hours later, i know how many people are coming, how many might turn up for a bit, and how many can't make it, along with discussing where to meet on the message board.

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to people without lots of friends on there already, it seems predominantly a way of keeping in touch with existing friends rather than making new ones. I've not contacted or been contacted by anyone i'm not friends with in real life on there, although i have sent messages to old school friends i've not seen for 7 years.

In other news, the fire alarm just did a test which scared me so i jumped and hit my knee on the desk, ouch :(

That's a great way to use it. Yeah, the facebook demographic has been changing, but it typically appeals to those 18+ more.

maniacmusician
May 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I would suspect so.

Except for claiming consented ownership of any original work that you post online.

As another user previously said, there are simple ways to be careful online. I don't conceal my identity online either, and am not particularly paranoid, but that doesn't mean I'll go around handing out my information to websites that are just going to turn around and sell it to advert agencies.

Aside from the facts, my personal opinion on social networking is that it's very overrated and time consuming. But that's my personal opinion, so I'm not going to waste time arguing it.

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Except for claiming consented ownership of any original work that you post online.

As another user previously said, there are simple ways to be careful online. I don't conceal my identity online either, and am not particularly paranoid, but that doesn't mean I'll go around handing out my information to websites that are just going to turn around and sell it to advert agencies.

Aside from the facts, my personal opinion on social networking is that it's very overrated and time consuming. But that's my personal opinion, so I'm not going to waste time arguing it.

Right, but in that same breath, Facebook is not an art site of any kind. If Deviant Art started claiming ownership of my works, that's a different story.

jkblacker
May 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Coming back, if I may, to the apps side of things, I'm still not sure about them. Marketplace seems fine, because it's very well integrated, but I don't particularly like how the rest of the apps fit onto your profile. I find it makes the page tediously long (as in, lots of scrolling down to find something). One of the main things I like about facebook is that it hasn't been as cluttered as many myspace or bebo profiles, so my facebook is devoid of applications (apart from a washington post political compass, just for kicks). Now I have people's photo slideshows whizzing when, if I wanted to look at their photos, I would just go look at their photos. Grr.

Adamant1988
May 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Coming back, if I may, to the apps side of things, I'm still not sure about them. Marketplace seems fine, because it's very well integrated, but I don't particularly like how the rest of the apps fit onto your profile. I find it makes the page tediously long (as in, lots of scrolling down to find something). One of the main things I like about facebook is that it hasn't been as cluttered as many myspace or bebo profiles, so my facebook is devoid of applications (apart from a washington post political compass, just for kicks). Now I have people's photo slideshows whizzing when, if I wanted to look at their photos, I would just go look at their photos. Grr.

Well, people will soon discover that they can relocate those apps, and even remove them from their profile if they don't want them to show up (but still keep the app). I've made sure that my page does not pass the length that it normally would have been, with a full bar of comments.