PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu through to the final round!

weekend warrior
July 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
The first round results of the Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com/) 2005 Readers' Choice Awards were announced yesterday. Ubuntu made it through to the final round of voting in the distribution category! http://freeweb.siol.net/zubi/smilies/boxing.gif

There was some tough competition in the first round distro list:

distribution: Astaro Security Linux
distribution: CentOS
distribution: Debian
distribution: Fedora Core
distribution: Gentoo
distribution: Kubuntu
distribution: Libranet
distribution: Linspire
distribution: Mandriva
distribution: Mepis
distribution: PCLinuxOS
distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux
distribution: Slackware
distribution: Source Mage GNU/Linux
distribution: Sun Wah Linux Rays LX
distribution: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
distribution: SUSE Professional
distribution: Ubuntu
distribution: Xandros

and the 3 finalists are....

distribution: CentOS
distribution: Fedora Core
distribution: Ubuntu

You can see the complete first round list here (ftp://ftp.ssc.com/pub/lj/Web/8266.txt) and the final round list here (ftp://ftp.ssc.com/pub/lj/Web/RC/8272.txt). There are categories for everything from "distro" to "programming beverage"!

If you would like to vote in the final round (deadline: 28 July) go to www.linuxjournal.com for details.

sapo
July 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
go ubuntu go!

nice.. i ll vote for ubuntu too! :grin:

Edit: Already voted :grin:

Ride Jib
July 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM
and as a convenience for others:

EDIT: I poofyhairguy deleted this because it said not to redistribute.

weekend warrior
July 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Nicely done Ride Jib :)

Was a bit shocked to see that CentOS had this up on their welcome page! :o

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4751/centos0qy.th.png (http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=centos0qy.png)

EDITED: Took out the bits that might be taken as dishonest. - ww

bored2k
July 1st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Voted for amaroK, Gnome, OOo, Kate, etc.

Edit: I don't think bumping a thread just because some competition is going on isn't being real/honest. To put it on the front page of "your" distro is even worst, but let's not be the judge of that. Point is: don't post useless, non productive/informative things just to keep this thread alive.

weekend warrior
July 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Right I didn't mean just post anything but rather what you voted for or something interesting as to why you voted on one of the choices there (no baiting of course). But yes, I do find what CentOS is doing as less than honest (wouldn't have posted this otherwise) and wonder if it's how they made it through to the final. Though if this is deemed not honest as well by the community, then it should be closed.

Ride Jib
July 1st, 2005, 08:54 PM
There were a few things to vote on that I do not use, such as back-up utils, etc. Instead of leaving all options in there, I deleted all options. I did so because in the directions, it states if you vote for more than one thing, it will only count the last item voted for.

Hope this provides some insight for others.

Sionide
July 1st, 2005, 08:54 PM
I could cheat by using multiple email addresses?? But I'm not going to! Have submitted my legit votes for all the greatest software!

bored2k
July 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM
I could cheat by using multiple email addresses?? But I'm not going to! Have submitted my legit votes for all the greatest software!
This is just like the Ubuntu #1 on distrowatch dilemma. We (IMO - the mod team) did a bad job at trying to avoid members from having "UBuntu numero 1" threads that would simply gather more attention and votes. I sent an email to the guy responsible for DWatch and he told me the same thing, this type of "advertising" is really not fair. But then again, Ubuntu didn't post a subtle "Vote me!" on ubuntulinux.org

Sionide
July 1st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah and I bet the Fedora etc guys are doing just the same on their forums / irc.

bored2k
July 1st, 2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah and I bet the Fedora etc guys are doing just the same on their forums / irc.
*Ack !* *Shoo bad spirits, shoo !*
Let's not start judging/criticizing others now.. nothing good would come out of doing so.

Ride Jib
July 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
I really am not even viewing this as a "competition" of sorts, but rather a consensus for Linux Journal to see what their readers prefer to use.

In the end, what good are the results? They are going to be less accurate than the first round (people voting for "the best of what's left" rather than what they actually use). And on top of that, the readers of Linux Journal, more specifically the contributors to the competition, isn't persay a representative group of the entire linux community...

Sionide
July 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Not criticizing, just saying. It's a popularity contest so each side will be rooting (no pun intended) for their own side to win. It'll be the same in the KDE/Gnome camps too! Raising awareness of the vote in general isn't a bad thing either - I wouldn't have voted at all if I hadn't seen this thread...

asimon
July 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM
office program: KDE Kontact
office program: LaTex
office program: OpenOffice.org

Somehow I have problems to put those apps into the same category. A strange selection.

weekend warrior
July 1st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Well I have no problem at all with you closing this thread Bored2k. In fact, seeing the danger of a fiasco coming up, it might be best. Let CentOS do what they want. :roll:

bored2k
July 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Well I have no problem at all with you closing this thread Bored2k. In fact, seeing the danger of a fiasco coming up, it might be best. Let CentOS do what they want. :roll:
The closure of this thread depends on you all. Right now, it'll stay open :D

weekend warrior
July 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Best to close it IMHO, we don't need the potential problems. Ubuntu willl do fine without this sort of thing anyway. :)

manicka
July 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Thankyou for the link. I enjoyed the voting process :)

bored2k
July 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
Well, this thread has served its purpose: to inform the Ubuntu members that didn't know this LJ vote process was going on. I'm not sure how productive would be to post your personal voting decisions, so I'm taking the thread for a walk in Neverland Ranch. Any rants, private message me.