PDA

View Full Version : I guess we know that DELL is advertising the Ubuntu boxes...

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6964/screenshot1wk1.th.png (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1wk1.png)

Well, I was critical at first, I thought they were going to shove these boxes in a nether corner of the site, I was wrong. What do you guys think about this.

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6964/screenshot1wk1.th.png (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1wk1.png)

Well, I was critical at first, I thought they were going to shove these boxes in a nether corner of the site, I was wrong. What do you guys think about this.

It took about 8 or 9 reloads to get this ad, but overall it looks great.;)

starcraft.man
May 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
While I'm happy that Ubuntu is getting the front page of Dell. I don't think it will make dell sell hundreds of thousands of copies, most people I believe still have bias against the word linux, and or just want windows... Dell has also limited it to only 3 systems, rather than an optional OS for all their machines >.>

In the end, I wonder how long it will last...

notwen
May 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Pretty cool to see it on Dell's front page, but once they move it to its 'permanent' place on the site concerns me more. Ubuntu/Linux in general wont reach the desktop masses until it's side-by-side with Windows as an OS option. I'm betting whether or not sells meet their pre-determined quota, the link for pre-loaded Ubuntu PCs/laptops will find it's way into one of these nether corners Adamant1988 was referring to. Only time will tell I guess. Let's keep our toes crossed. =p

cyberkoa
May 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I wonder it shows this by tracking the URL or not.

I see that ad after I click the link from ubuntu.com , do customzation on a laptop , then come back to dell.com

brim4brim
May 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I think its great and I didn't expect them to advertise it at all.

The thing is, Ubuntu is easier to use than Windows for about 80% of tasks now. The only that that is really more difficult (that you'd have to do on a laptop with supported hardware) is printing, bluetooth and some other niche things like that which most people don't use.

For the average user, Ubuntu is perfect.

smilesleepy
May 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Soon as I got word of this I made a purchase!
I had been looking for a laptop for quite sometime. I didn't know where to go - Windows or Apple.
Of course i had the option of wiping the drive clean and/or dual boot - but this just sealed the deal!
So simple!
Can't wait for it!!

drbob07
May 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
My next computer is coming from Dell, assuming they still preload Linux.

I'll support ANY company that sticks it to Microsoft :-)

I bet you Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are worried sick of what the sales are gonna look like ^_^

Feba
May 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
How much do they charge/discount off the price of windows?

For advanced users and tech enthusiasts,
Nevermind, dell screwed us. As we were, I suppose.

wheredidrealitygo
May 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
This is only being offered in the States, I was willing to buy one, then went to purchase.. it says "State/Province"... but no provinces listed.. odd.. went to Dell.ca, they had no Ubuntu listings at all.. went back to Dell.com, chatted with a live sales rep.. "no information at this time".. going to give Canada pre-sales a call later, but it doesn't look good.

starcraft.man
May 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
My next computer is coming from Dell, assuming they still preload Linux.

I'll support ANY company that sticks it to Microsoft :-)

I bet you Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are worried sick of what the sales are gonna look like ^_^

Dell is one of the largest (if not largest) distributors of computers with windows in NA, you do know that right?

As for gates and ballmer, they probably didn't even notice. The initial forecasts for sales were under 50K in 2007 and 8 I think, if I recall them right. Windows PCs sell about 100-200 Million annually.

Oh and to wheredidrealitygo, I'm sorry to hear that. I hate when Canadians get snubbed.

Taum
July 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Soo... Any television commercials or magazine advertisements out there for Ubuntu on Dell? I've not seen any.

darksidedude
July 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM
there are other companys that preload linux on their machines one that i can think of off the top of my head ( being midnight and all ) is MADTUX
cant rember the url, but they do several distros ubuntu being one ( I think)

swoll1980
July 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM
But if you go to the Ubuntu/Dell web page the very first line on the page is
" For advanced users and tech enthusiasts" Nothing like the word advanced to scare off potencial noobs. There another linux box dealer to I heard of called PC 77 or something like that

forrestcupp
July 31st, 2007, 01:57 PM
But if you go to the Ubuntu/Dell web page the very first line on the page is
" For advanced users and tech enthusiasts" Nothing like the word advanced to scare off potencial noobs. There another linux box dealer to I heard of called PC 77 or something like that

It's System 76, but compared to Dell, who has ever heard of them. I haven't until I came to this forum.

About Dell having commercials for Ubuntu, I haven't really seen any Dell commercials for a while.

xl_cheese
July 31st, 2007, 02:02 PM
FWIW - the only reason I'm here is because I heard dell was selling w/ ubuntu and it made me curious. So I installed it on my home PC.

There's also a thread about dell trying to influence companies to make more drivers for linux.

graabein
July 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM
I'm glad Dell is pushing GNU/Linux. This means more awareness amongst the public and people take it more seriously than just a computer geek hardcore OS. It also puts pressure on hardware folks to produce drivers. All good.

mooscape
July 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM
If the Dell/Ubuntu deal was about selling systems, Dell would be doing much better by marketing these systems in Europe. This looks more like a case of testing the waters (in a lukewarm puddle). I do appreciate the initiative though! \\:D/