PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA] GUI for Mounting CIFS/SMB Shares

bloodniece
May 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Permanent mounting of SMB/CIFS shares via GUI would be beneficial to some.

yopnono
October 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Permanent mounting of SMB/CIFS shares via GUI would be beneficial to some.

Yep agreed. It cant be that hard to create a python / bash script to open and have the user select different option on how to mount etc,etc

ruibernardo
October 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I totally agree. =D>

I just don't understand why does Gnome have the menu Places, Connect to server... and the other one in System, Administration, Shared folders and none of them ever worked for me. I always had to install some packages and configure SMB with swat or editing myself the fstab file.

I like Ubuntu, but sometimes I think the "Desktop" part of the name is going too far for the special effects (compiz) and is dropping the real desktop features it should have and should be working.

Just hope (but without too much faith, unfortunately) that Gutsy brings some fresh air on this subject, because I see these Gnome menus since Breezy... I even saw recently a screencast claiming that the user can actually use this menus to do that (http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/SAMBA_Filesharing). Maybe it's just me here but all these threads on this forum about this subject are confusing me... :confused: