PDA

View Full Version : Opengl Wow fps low

Elvish Legion
May 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
When I try to start wow from wine in opengl mode even the opening menu has REALLY low FPS (1-2).

System specs:

ATI Radeon Mobility 1100
AMDTurion x2 1.6 proc
1.5 gigs ram (128 go to the graphics card)

The game loads up so much smoother with d3d than opengl which everyone says should not be the case.

Any thoughts?

Nehvrook
May 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Wich howto did you follow to install WoW? Did you apply the opengl registry tweak? And did you make sure it's spelled properly (Copy and pasting stuff is the best way)

If you did all that then I'm not sure, but ATI cards have a bad reputation with Wine from what I've read.

Elvish Legion
May 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312482&highlight=world+of+warcraft

That howto, I'm pretty sure I applied the registary change, will check when I Get home tonight.

Will that change help the sluggish login scren?

ShadowFlar3
May 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM
You should start with checking if your ATI drivers are working properly in the first place.

glxinfo | grep rendering

You should see Direct rendering: Yes.

After this you should move on to tweaking your config.wtf. I suggest using same resolution, color depth and refresh rate as your desktop to max out performance / stability.

hikaricore
May 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Useful info for the OP, but...

Anyone who's ever played WoW know that colour depth set in config.wtf is ignored and reset upon starting the game. :P

ShadowFlar3
May 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
If you have SET hwdetect "0" in config like you should NOTHING is ignored or reset.

nenitza
May 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
When I try to start wow from wine in opengl mode even the opening menu has REALLY low FPS (1-2).

System specs:

ATI Radeon Mobility 1100
AMDTurion x2 1.6 proc
1.5 gigs ram (128 go to the graphics card)

The game loads up so much smoother with d3d than opengl which everyone says should not be the case.

Any thoughts?

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=286873872&sid=1 So blizz issue.
This happens for me too on both my machines. Some windows users have 5-10fps.

ShadowFlar3
May 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Ok here's why this is not the same issue as what's discussed in that thread because:

1) All windows users run the game in d3d, and Elvish Legion said he has problems with specifically opengl. On wine and cedega, wow runs much better in opengl than d3d so there's definetly something wrong here.
2) This is not a problem caused by the latest patch, at least no one has posted anything that indicates so.

So I'm still waiting for the OP's response to my advice.

Elvish Legion
June 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Ok here's why this is not the same issue as what's discussed in that thread because:

1) All windows users run the game in d3d, and Elvish Legion said he has problems with specifically opengl. On wine and cedega, wow runs much better in opengl than d3d so there's definetly something wrong here.
2) This is not a problem caused by the latest patch, at least no one has posted anything that indicates so.

So I'm still waiting for the OP's response to my advice.

Well making the wtf changes you suggested helped slightly, I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or not....I think it may just be my card. I'm building a desktop here in a month or two so I guessI can deal with dual boot for a little longer

Elvish Legion
June 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
I just thought of something, may these issues be due to the fact I'm trying to run the game in fullscreen? Would windowed be better?

Nehvrook
June 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
In my experience of WoW running windowed ran slower than running full screen. But saying that anything is worth a try right?

Just about that registry entry, make sure it's spelled right and you remember that it's all case sensetive. When I first installed the game I spelled it wrong and my framerate never went over 10. When I fixed it I got 50+ framerate all the time.

If you're building a new PC, get an NVidia card :P

Ferrat
June 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
The FPS drops seems to be randomly affecting people from what I gather after reading the wow-forum thread, some people got it, others didn't so prolly a small glitch somewhere in the patch that is haunting you and your FPS.

I assume you have the latest version of wine 0.9.38 and the latest grafic drivers from ATi (8.37.6)?

Elvish Legion
June 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Also I just noticed something

Running glxgears I used to run at 1500fps, I downloaded easyubuntu (because I'm lazy) and installed the ati driver thinking it would upgrade it, now I've dropped to 900fps (this is all while watching the gears) 2500 while the gears are minimized

I'm going to try installing the driver from the ati site to see if that helps

Elvish Legion
June 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM
jduvall@aspire:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

jduvall@aspire:~$ glxinfo | grep renderingdirect rendering: Yes

jduvall@aspire:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:

I've tried to edit my config.wtf and noticed the changes are sticking, it keeps reverting to 800x600 not 1200x800

Ferrat
June 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
1200x800??

you don't mean 1280x720 or 1280x1024 ??

Ripfox
January 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
My laptop is 1200x800