PDA

View Full Version : Opensuse/KDE any good?

67GTA
May 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I liked opensuse with Gnome, but came back to my default distro Ubuntu because of the forums/help(and I just love Ubuntu). I want to try KDE. I have played with several live cd's PCLOS,Sabayon,Sidux,Kubuntu, and didn't care for them. How well does opensuse do KDE?

floke
May 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Seems very good to me. Prefer PCLOS though, but if you want KDE then this seems about as good as it gets.

67GTA
May 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I liked PCLOS, even installed it, but it kept crashing:arts sound server,xorg,etc. I liked that it had proprietary stuff by default. That is why I was looking at opensuse. I will give it a try.

igknighted
May 29th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I liked PCLOS, even installed it, but it kept crashing:arts sound server,xorg,etc. I liked that it had proprietary stuff by default. That is why I was looking at opensuse. I will give it a try.

Opensuse is actually even more strict about non-free stuff than Debian. They won't even package any proprietary stuff (hence Nvidia and ATI have their own repo's for Suse stuff, and even madwifi, which is in Ubuntu by default, isn't in the official Suse repo's). Debian at least packages the non-free stuff in a separate (but still official IIRC) repo. Overall, Suse is the most professional looking distro I have seen. The KDE is very clean, fairly crisp (on my 3yr old p4 1gb) and overall a pleasure to work with. Google for "Hacking Suse 10.2" for a guide to install all the non-free stuff.

Those errors sound like you tried PCLOS .93... check out the newest release (last week), PCLOS 2007. Much much better.

ausmuso
June 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I have worked with KDE for 7 years and I've never used anything BUT KDE! In fact,
until Novell took over SuSE, KDE was the default SuSE installation desktop.

Which is better, Gnome or KDE? I reckon it's just a matter of personal preference, and what you've been
used to!

I've just switched to Ubuntu and Gnome but I still reckon KMail is the best and most versatile
email client!

Have fun,

Ausmuso

angryfirelord
June 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
It certainly looks great, but it's rather slow and heavy on the RAM usage.

WalmartSniperLX
June 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
The opinion stating that "KDE is more bloated/heavier on system resources than Gnome" can be debatable. It really just depends on the distro and/or running services/processes. In fedora, I noticed only a few MB difference on resources between gnome and kde. In Gentoo I was able to lower the RAM usage in gnome to less than 80MB on boot. I didn't use KDE in gentoo, but I'm sure I can do the same thing.

As far as cpu cycles, there are settings in KDE to lower the usage of CPU power and even GPU power. There's so much to argue with. Not to mention I have many times felt KDE much FASTER than gnome. Sometimes it just takes a small amount of tweaking.

As far as the OP's question... KDE is the way to go if you are going to use Suse :D Im using it now.