PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Dell.

RussianVodka
May 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of those Dell laptops that have Ubuntu preinstalled. I was just have a few questions.

1.) How are dell laptops in general? From what I've heard, I wouldn't touch their desktops with a long stick, but I hear the laptops aren't too bad. Any comment on it?

2.) The LCD monitor selection doesn't list resolutions. But from what I've googled, the "15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display" has a 1680x1050 resolution. Is that true? I mean, that seems awsome for a 15" screen.

3.) How is the display, the laptop I have right now is an HP, and I'm thinking of returning it. One of the reasons is that the screen is crap (and also the speakers are awful, and the touch pad is possitioned very awkwardly, and also...). I've heard that dell's LCD monitors and TVs are pretty damn good. Did it translate into their laptops?

4.) I'm assuming Linux will be preinstalled with all the drivers and everything?

5.) Will I get any backup CD's with it?

6.) Have you ordered one of the Dell+Linux systems? How did you like it?

egorgry
May 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I can only comment the first part of your question based on my dell 600m which came installed with XP. I ran XP for two days to make sure everything was working as expected after I was confident with the hardware I installed hoary the hedgehog... I think? Regardless. The laptop is now almost 3 and it's been nothing but outstanding for me and I'm a terrible laptop owner; I beat the crap out of the poor thing. My screen is great, very bright, clear, 1400x1050 resolution on a 14.1 in screen. I've never had any issues with any component not working with any flavor of ubuntu. wifi, sound, video, dvd/cd writing, all have been great. No hardware issues at all. Battery isn't quite two hours but it's been consistently about 1hr 40min at best since I got it and it's aged well. Overall no complaints with the 600m. I'd get another Dell laptop if mine died.

The system is fast and stable my specs were top notch at the time and I still no complaints about how it runs.
Dell 600m
2.0 ghz pentium M
2 GB ddr 400 ram
80 GB 5400 rpm HDD
64mb ati card
sxga+ screen @1400x1050
soundblaster audio (speakers suck) *but I haven't heard good laptop speakers ever. sound is great with senheiser cans.