PDA

View Full Version : Getting into backend development: Which language is best?

ThinkBuntu
May 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I can try basically any language, including M$ ones via mono and Chilisoft ASP. Which is the best for getting into backend development? I was teaching myself Ruby, but I though that it wasn't teaching me portable programming skills, as it's structure is supposed to be pretty unique. Then I considered Python (I know, Python and Ruby are much in the same vein), but though "this won't get me a job...!"

I've been working as a web designer for a couple years now, and I'm fed up with how we're made to work. Basically, unless you're blessed by a very passive, relaxed client (or, if you're an amazing designer, a real top dog), you're a puppet snapping to their whims and commands. In short, beyond little freelance projects, it sucks! (End of my-job-sucks-at-times rant)

Anywho, I'm getting into PHP now. Is PHP's use dwindling? Should I consider studying JSP or even, god forbid, ASP.NET? Just curious on your thoughts.

gnomeuser
May 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'll be honest and say I'm a big ASP.NET fan.. I know there'll be booing and hissing but I dig it.

ThinkBuntu
May 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'll be honest and say I'm a big ASP.NET fan.. I know there'll be booing and hissing but I dig it.
Are you a fan with or without Visual Studio?

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM
If you want to learn web development, Java should be your first priority, then .NET. Java dominates the web development world, and most of what is left is .NET.