PDA

View Full Version : Now that Dell is on-board ?

jgcamp99
May 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/dell
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

The supported notebooks are a very limited list. What is Dell going to do for older products and support ? It's one thing for each of us to help out with tech support for Ubuntu, but where this really needs to go is a collaboration that transcends all Dell notebooks, not just these and a select few going forward. Simply put, and this isn't just Dell, it's HP, Compaq and every notebook manufacturer in general, but these manufacturers simply drop the ball on supporting their hardware beyond a certain point. If a bios needs to be updated, those generally aren't forthcoming even.

For example, I have an older Dell L400 P III 700 Coppermine and regardless of which speedstep package I use, Ubuntu indicates that speedstep is not supported. That's but one issue, another area is more comprehensive ACPI support. We/I have a work around on the fan trip_points, but even that scripted solution is probably an area (cooling the notebook) that needs improvement on. I guess what I'm really asking, Is Dell signing on here for anything more than what already exists as a community effort to support it's products ?

jgcamp99
May 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Oh, I see:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V440&l=en&oc=DNCWEL1&s=dhs

(with that link you have to customize the OS (Ubuntu logo))

Dell provides hardware support only. Software support is available through Canonical and Linux Community.
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04 [Included in Price]
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04 with 30 days Starter Support [add $65 or $2/month1]
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04 with 1 year Basic Support [add $125 or $4/month1]
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04 with 1 year Standard Support [add $275 or $9/month1]

It answers my question, those products prior to these are out in the cold and Dell charges for hardware support for those that are fortunate to be Ubuntu certified products.

I wonder what their policy will be going forward on future Ubuntu versions ? Technically a new Ubuntu rolls out every 6 months, does one year under 7.04 really mean when 7.10 comes out it becomes implicitly supported ? If not I don't see the point in 1 year subscriptions for support ?

jcconnor
May 27th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Have you tried asking these questions on the Dell Linux support boards? What was their response over there?

John

jgcamp99
May 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Dell Linux Support boards ? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, but just from prior experience in general from similar vendors (Compaq), they aren't big on hardware support for bios revisions for older products. I can imagine a lot of us being contributors/members there anyway.

I see from the product customizations, Ubuntu being installed on certain models is a start, but let's face it, from first glance, any support plans are no better than seeing Red Hat, Suse or whatever other commercial version would be supported when I read Dell indicating their hardware support with software support from Canonical/Ubuntu forums in their product customization. In that case, what I and others have done for older Dell models, simply installing it for ourselves is about as much as we can expect from Dell, even for newer hardware. Let's face it, some of these models have simply been tested much like the L400 and other legacy systems that we've been test bedding for Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10 & 7.04, even prior versions to those OS releases. So where is there any improved support from Dell from this announcement ? "Ubuntu 7.04 included in price", the only thing I can imagine, is seeing how the recovery cdrom works in practice, or is that just the livecd that is included. Anyhow, there has to be more polishing of Ubuntu to make it as idiot proof as a Windows recovery.

jcconnor
June 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM
Dell Linux Support boards ? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, but just from prior experience in general from similar vendors (Compaq), they aren't big on hardware support for bios revisions for older products. I can imagine a lot of us being contributors/members there anyway.

I see from the product customizations, Ubuntu being installed on certain models is a start, but let's face it, from first glance, any support plans are no better than seeing Red Hat, Suse or whatever other commercial version would be supported when I read Dell indicating their hardware support with software support from Canonical/Ubuntu forums in their product customization. In that case, what I and others have done for older Dell models, simply installing it for ourselves is about as much as we can expect from Dell, even for newer hardware. Let's face it, some of these models have simply been tested much like the L400 and other legacy systems that we've been test bedding for Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10 & 7.04, even prior versions to those OS releases. So where is there any improved support from Dell from this announcement ? "Ubuntu 7.04 included in price", the only thing I can imagine, is seeing how the recovery cdrom works in practice, or is that just the livecd that is included. Anyhow, there has to be more polishing of Ubuntu to make it as idiot proof as a Windows recovery.

But isn't that a bit like expecting Dell to fully support Vista on their older models? Isn't their response going to be similar? Say you have a 2 year old Dell with XP on it - you buy an upgrade Vista disc at CompUSA or wherever, then when it has problems you call Dell for support. What level of support would you expect? What level of answers are you thinking you may get? How would that differ than their support of Ubuntu on older systems. Even a limited selection of hardware (that fits across a sampling of their systems - laptop, basic model, and higher end system) with full hardware compatibility and with a combination of their/Canonical's tech support is a step in the right direction.

And while Windows recovery may be idiot-proof it generally gets you back to the base Dell install - not the one with all your add-ons, upgraded, removed, tweaked software and hardware. Not much different than a Live CD reinstall?