PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove, is it implemented correctly?

tehkain
May 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
As many of you know, many debs and apps that are installed by a user are not visible to the user. Now we have CNR coming into the picture. Has this been pushed correctly?

If I install a simple game from a site like GetDeb, lets call it 'Raiders', and I play the game and decide to quit and uninstall the game. I go into add/remove only to find it is not there. So should add/remove show apps that are install by the user from a deb? I believe they should. I agree with having to use the synaptic package manager to install some applications but Add/remove should have power over the ones I install using the default DebUI.

Now this brings me to my next point, with CNR coming we have three package managers, all with special functions, that all have overlapping abilities. This is going to be confusing for the noobs.

So we need to atleast give Add/Remove power over single debs you install just so that my mother can uninstall a pokergame as easily as she installed it without using synaptic.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Shouldn't this be discussed in Gutsy Gibbon suggestion section? I don't know, I never really liked add/remove as its implemented, I use apt all the time for repos (and tilda, tilda rocks :)), you can also uninstall debs via that, they usually appear. I only really use synaptic when I want more complete control, like when I downgraded my version of libwnck to 1.6 to fix an issue with Beryl/Feisty and then locked it from upgrading.

I don't know about C & R, will see how it turns out in Gutsy, I'm not a dev.