PDA

View Full Version : How many users does the Red Flag O/s have?

Lucifiel
May 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I know that many of the survey results from the Chinese government are often suspect to inaccuracy and inflation of figures, as well as other factors.

However, I'd like to know the number of users the Red Flag o/s has or where I can find such information.

Edit: Not going to rely on Distrowatch's figures as we all know China is firewalled extremely heavily plus not everyone in China knows English.

Thank you! :)
Lucifiel

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 27th, 2007, 04:13 AM
According to CCID Consulting, in 2006, Linux accounted for 2.6% of the Chinese install base, but with a much, much higher number in servers (IIRC, a survey from several years ago put Red Flag at 1 in 5 servers, presumably it is more now). Red Flag is completely dominant in that share of Linux installations.

BTW, Distrowatch isn't relevant anyway, language barriers or not. Note that in terms of actual installation base and relevance, there are really only four distros that matter: RHEL, SLES, Debian, and Asianux. People shouting about their favorite distribution on digg and hammering distrowatch.com don't change that one bit.