PDA

View Full Version : Is 'the desktop' as we know it dying?

Adamant1988
May 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hear me out on this one:

With an increase in services and applications available for use over the internet, increase in the power and efficiency of mobile computing chips, etc. Is the desktop dying? Perhaps the focus of our efforts to conquer 'the desktop' would be better served playing on a fair playing field... mobile devices.

With all the noise about GMAE, and the Ubuntu Mobile effort, it seems that the world is cutting off the wires and going mobile... what do you guys think?

tgm4883
May 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM
No, desktops are nice to have. They do have features that maybe you wouldn't find on a mobile device (full size keyboard maybe?). I think desktops will always be around. For the same reason there are still brick and mortar stores and land line telephones.

BobLand
May 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Monitors are getting huge. There is a reason for this. Ubuntu is supporting dual monitors. People want more real estate on their screens. IMHO the desktop is not going away anytime soon.

argie
May 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I don't know about abroad, but here in India, the desktop is taking off like mad. Everyone around me is buying a desktop computer or laptop, but very few are buying mobile devices.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Uh, no... mobile devices are not usually hackable/modifiable (apple especially hates you doing anything to em), internet speed is still not sufficient to permit complete and seamless use of a complex desktop app over the net without lag (certainly not in NA, over in Europe average connection is much higher) and lastly, I want a full size keyboard and a real mouse. NO mini keyboard or virtual one on a touch screen, I live by the keyboard. :)

init1
May 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Even if you can do a lot with something smaller, you can always do more with something bigger. For example, if I could get a mobile device with the same power as my laptop for the same price as I paid for it originally, then most likely a laptop at that price would be even better. I don't need something that small. Laptops are as small as I would want or need.

Adamant1988
May 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
There seems to be an increasing emphasis on 'going mobile' in the world, but perhaps this is all just noise. I prefer my laptop to my Desktop for mobility's sake... I can take it ANYWHERE and do anything with it that my PC could do.

~LoKe
May 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I don't even own a cellphone, much less a laptop. I'll stick to my desktop, thanks. =]

phidia
May 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Good topic and question. It makes me wonder if there will be some totally different interface for the mobile lifestyle in the future. Speech recognition technology has come a long ways since it began and if improved mics were paired with good software maybe it could signal the end to keyboards-then someone just needs to create a display that projects on a tiny stereovision visor (attached to the forehead or glasses?) put it all in a package the size of a small mp3 player and newtech here we are. Would the desktop as we know it still survive that?-who knows-just my fantasy :)

hessiess
May 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
i hate mobile phones, handheld pc's! desktops/laptops are the only computers witch there is any point buying.

Adamant1988
May 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Good topic and question. It makes me wonder if there will be some totally different interface for the mobile lifestyle in the future. Speech recognition technology has come a long ways since it began and if improved mics were paired with good software maybe it could signal the end to keyboards-then someone just needs to create a display that projects on a tiny stereovision visor (attached to the forehead or glasses?) put it all in a package the size of a small mp3 player and newtech here we are. Would the desktop as we know it still survive that?-who knows-just my fantasy :)

Well, part of this spawns from my wondering if in the game of Operating Systems, starting with Mobile and working backward is a good idea. Mobile devices offer us a way to change the way we're interacting with Data, we can use touch screens, pads, etc and I think that's where the real innovation is happening. I also saw some statistics recently that use of the internet through mobile devices like phones was increasing drastically, even faster than desktop adoption happened.

MOS95B
May 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
There seems to be an increasing emphasis on 'going mobile' in the world, but perhaps this is all just noise. I prefer my laptop to my Desktop for mobility's sake... I can take it ANYWHERE and do anything with it that my PC could do.

Mobile devices are going nuts, yes. As an addition to a desktop/laptop/notebook. Some high end laptops/notebooks can replace a desktop for most things, but laptops/notebooks are not technically "mobile computing devices", based on their purpose and OS. And, laptops/notebooks can't be upgraded the same way a desktop can (yet)

But, the standard home user and the Gamer Geeks will keep the desktop around for a long, long time.

misfitpierce
May 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Are you kidding me desktops still hold the most powerful graphics card's setups and more... I own a desktop and mobile and gotta say desktops are far from dead

Shay Stephens
May 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I have a desktop and a laptop. For a few years I had only a laptop, thinking why would anyone want a desktop anymore. But after the laptop hardware started failing and I desired to upgrade components and add functionality, I realized the value of a desktop. So I bought one again.

My desktop has two memory card readers, three 200gb drives, a lightscribe burner, and a quiet case. This is my work computer for photography. My laptop now takes care of my mobile needs. But the desktop will always be my workhorse platform because of it expandability and ease of upgrading and replacing parts.

If you look at the question from a purely consumer based viewpoint, yes, mobile platforms are best for consuming. But if you are on the creation side of the fence, a purely mobile platform has it's drawbacks right now.

Hex_Mandos
May 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM
It depends on what you need. Desktops offer many advantages over laptops and mobiles. I personally wouldn't use a mobile device as my only "computer", and I'd find it hard to live without a dependable desktop. At least until laptops become as "hackable" as desktops. Same reason why I wouldn't ever buy a Mac.

smoker
May 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
i hate mobile phones, handheld pc's! desktops/laptops are the only computers witch there is any point buying.

Ditto! i like a phone that sticks to being a phone, don't have a handheld, laptop, just a desktop, but maybe i'm getting old, or out of touch!:D

jrusso2
May 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hear me out on this one:

With an increase in services and applications available for use over the internet, increase in the power and efficiency of mobile computing chips, etc. Is the desktop dying? Perhaps the focus of our efforts to conquer 'the desktop' would be better served playing on a fair playing field... mobile devices.

With all the noise about GMAE, and the Ubuntu Mobile effort, it seems that the world is cutting off the wires and going mobile... what do you guys think?

Flash back to 1996 and Scott McNealy of Sun proclaiming soon all PC's will run java and access applications over the internet.

FuturePilot
May 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I think the whole mobile thing is more or less just about convenience. I think that when it comes down to doing serious work, people would rather be at a desktop than a 176x220 cell phone screen.

The desktop isn't going anywhere.

Polygon
May 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM
i also doubt that the desktop is going anywhere. Sure, services (basically programs that are run over the internet and depend on an internet connection and servers, like google docs and spreadsheets for example) are really nice and convient to have, but what happens if your in a place without internet access? your modem or wireless card breaks? your internet is screwed, and every service that you use is also screwed until you can fix it.

best part about desktops/laptops is that you dont depend on anything but your computer and your operating system to run programs, no internet connection or third party servers required.

SonicSteve
May 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm just adding my 2 cents,
I've owned mobile devices and they just can't compete with a full desktop. The screen is just too small to be effective. Even if they ever become anywhere near as powerful as a full sized computer (which I doubt will happen anytime soon). They will have to overcome the problem of screen size. A completely new technology will be needed, some thing like virtual reality desktop where the screen size isn't limited to a 320-480 screen.

Edit;
Don't forget about text entry, entering anything but a phone # on a tiny keyboard is completely unbearable.

jgrabham
May 26th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I couldn't live without my mobile (cell) phone. How else would I check my emails in lessons at school or at my caravan (no landline for internet)

Also I was reading about this in Linux Format a couple of weeks ago

SonicSteve
May 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Well, part of this spawns from my wondering if in the game of Operating Systems, starting with Mobile and working backward is a good idea. Mobile devices offer us a way to change the way we're interacting with Data, we can use touch screens, pads, etc and I think that's where the real innovation is happening. I also saw some statistics recently that use of the internet through mobile devices like phones was increasing drastically, even faster than desktop adoption happened.

I would bet the adoption is happening faster because with PC's people didn't really know much about the internet because the PC came first. With phones most users are already using the internet on the PC so adopting it on the phone isn't as large a step.

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The 'desktop' as in GUI isn't dying. But the desktop computer is going to become less and less of a main fixture as more and more portable devices replace what it does. You can already call people, listen to music, etc on cell phones and mp3 players. Laptops and palm tops are trying to make in-roads to the desktop computer, but still lack the power of a desktop.

The desktop computer is like the industrial revolution...a lot of stuff migrated to it, because it had the power to do it all. But not that portable devices have some power, people use them...in essences living "in the suburbs" of portable devices more and more rather then living "downtown" on their desktop so much.

I think the desktop computer will eventually just become a large "server" you keep at home...you plug in and interface with it via portable devices, and it syncronizes all your stuff on to your portable devices. You'll use a PDA device for your mainstream work, especially once they get virtual keyboards and monitors working nicely (IE: keyboards that are nothing more than projections of light and motion sensors, and monitors that either project images directly into your eye, or are projected onto walls clearly.)

I don't think the desktop will completely die...it'll just move more towards work-horse...much like how downtown becomes the place where all the powerplants and factories are, and the suburbs are the nice places people like to play and live. There will always be hard-core folks that want to sit at a desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse setup. But some folks like sitting in the other side of the house with a PDA in their hand while they wi-fi connect to their desktop/server/router in the other room.

Now, what I see causing more and more desktops to go the way of the dodo? Again, 1) once they get PDA's to use more virtual devices, 2) if people rely more on storage companies to store their info on (IE: you pipe it over to a company that stores it on their servers), 3) (the important one) portable devices like PDA's need to be at least as powerful as current desktop computers. In other words, if you have a PDA that you can carry with you, and do everything you could do on your desktop at home, because it was so powerful, had wi-fi connectivity, had virtual keyboard/mouse/monitors, etc...you'd probably use that over a desktop. Make it about as big as a credit card, and you'd really have a killer device.

Adamant1988
May 27th, 2007, 05:28 AM
The 'desktop' as in GUI isn't dying. But the desktop computer is going to become less and less of a main fixture as more and more portable devices replace what it does. You can already call people, listen to music, etc on cell phones and mp3 players. Laptops and palm tops are trying to make in-roads to the desktop computer, but still lack the power of a desktop.

The desktop computer is like the industrial revolution...a lot of stuff migrated to it, because it had the power to do it all. But not that portable devices have some power, people use them...in essences living "in the suburbs" of portable devices more and more rather then living "downtown" on their desktop so much.

I think the desktop computer will eventually just become a large "server" you keep at home...you plug in and interface with it via portable devices, and it syncronizes all your stuff on to your portable devices. You'll use a PDA device for your mainstream work, especially once they get virtual keyboards and monitors working nicely (IE: keyboards that are nothing more than projections of light and motion sensors, and monitors that either project images directly into your eye, or are projected onto walls clearly.)

I don't think the desktop will completely die...it'll just move more towards work-horse...much like how downtown becomes the place where all the powerplants and factories are, and the suburbs are the nice places people like to play and live. There will always be hard-core folks that want to sit at a desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse setup. But some folks like sitting in the other side of the house with a PDA in their hand while they wi-fi connect to their desktop/server/router in the other room.

Now, what I see causing more and more desktops to go the way of the dodo? Again, 1) once they get PDA's to use more virtual devices, 2) if people rely more on storage companies to store their info on (IE: you pipe it over to a company that stores it on their servers), 3) (the important one) portable devices like PDA's need to be at least as powerful as current desktop computers. In other words, if you have a PDA that you can carry with you, and do everything you could do on your desktop at home, because it was so powerful, had wi-fi connectivity, had virtual keyboard/mouse/monitors, etc...you'd probably use that over a desktop. Make it about as big as a credit card, and you'd really have a killer device.

AH! This is exactly what I was trying to strike at, but didn't have the words for. Excellent post!

Boomy
May 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I see the PC and television merging in the future. I know when I get the cash, I'm getting a big *** LCD TV and running my computer on that. To hell with sitting at a desk, I want to sit in my Lazyboy with my wireless keyboard.

ticopelp
May 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM
No.

Anthem
May 27th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Is the desktop dying? Could be. It should die right after we move to a paperless office.

Xzallion
May 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Dekstop is not dying. Its changing a little, to become larger (larger monitors, more hard drive space, more of everything). The Desktop is growing and evolving, just like the wireless portable devices are. The desktop will evolve to coexist with the portable devices, and will be kicking for a long time.

blackspyder
May 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Is the Desktop dying? No its evolving. Desktops are now being used as an addition to the entertainment Center of the home what with DVR's and stuff like that. where as back in the day they were mainly a productivity item. Also you notice that gaming consoles are moving ever so closer to becoming desktops. I look for the 3 (Gaming consoles, DVR's and Desktop PC's) to become one within the next 10 years.

ramjet_1953
May 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I find nothing mere disturbing that the thought of relying totally upon the Internet for my applications.

You are then at the mercy of it and if something catostrophic occurs, like the earthquake a few months ago, that affected Internet trafic in all of the Asia-Pacific region.

I like the apps that I use and my data associated with those apps on my machine, under my control.

I find it amazing that some accountants are using on-line accounting software for their clients. If the net goes down, or something happens to that data, they will be in all sorts of trouble.

Regards,
Roger :cool:

igknighted
May 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Of course you hear that noise,,, because in America the people with money all have Desktop PCs and it is getting harder to keep selling them Desktop PCs. They need some new toy that "cannot be lived without".

Personally, I only buy desktops. I have to laptops lying around that I am attempting to salvage (500mhz range), but I would never buy a laptop new. I have next to no need for "mobile" computing other than to work in another room... and that is no reason to pay twice as much for an inferior machine. And I can always upgrade my desktop. The smaller devices get, the greater the portability but the less the functionality until we develop a new interface system (MMI anyone?). Once that breakthrough comes, then portability will be feasible. But todays users need functionality, and portable devices at this stage are nothing more than cheap tricks.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Is the Desktop dying? No its evolving. Desktops are now being used as an addition to the entertainment Center of the home what with DVR's and stuff like that. where as back in the day they were mainly a productivity item. Also you notice that gaming consoles are moving ever so closer to becoming desktops. I look for the 3 (Gaming consoles, DVR's and Desktop PC's) to become one within the next 10 years.

I really like this response. :)

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hear me out on this one:

With all the noise about GMAE, and the Ubuntu Mobile effort, it seems that the world is cutting off the wires and going mobile... what do you guys think?do have links to articles written on this subject?...I would like to read more.

(and no I don't want to Google it, I prefer word of mouth references over pagerank references)

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
do have links to articles written on this subject?...I would like to read more.

(and no I don't want to Google it, I prefer word of mouth references over pagerank references)

No more discussion than news. All sorts of efforts are being diverted to mobile technology, Red Hat's own Shadowman has declared that the desktop is dead:

The Shadowman says (http://opinunix.blogspot.com/2007/05/shadowman-says.html)

and it just makes me wonder if in the future we're going to be buying mini-laptops with Linux on them specially designed to run like that, etc.

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
No more discussion than news. All sorts of efforts are being diverted to mobile technology, Red Hat's own Shadowman has declared that the desktop is dead:

and it just makes me wonder if in the future we're going to be buying mini-laptops with Linux on them specially designed to run like that, etc.

I believe the future is in small ultra-portables like the 2.2 lbs that Fujitsu are selling. This is why I have made it a priority to optimize Oz for Fujitsu:
reference:
http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,342.msg1760.html#new

Fujitsu is leading the way for this future, and Japan has been big on Ultra-portables like this:

reference:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/xbproductcompare.do

specifically:

LifeBook P1610 (http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P1610)

LifeBook Q2010 (http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=Q2010)

My wife owns the Lifebook T4210, I plan to buy the updated model for myself(not ultra-portable but at 4.3 lbs still decent):

LifeBook T4215 (http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4215)

I don't believe that mobile technology will replace ultra-portables, specifically those weighing in at 2.2 lbs or less....I do belive that Ultra-portables and mobile technology will merge and morph into one usable solution that will eventually be affordable to all....

Nokia concepts phone may give all a run for there money, specifically the Nokia 888:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dF44XtHek

Shay Stephens
May 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Kind of going along with the comment that "what happens when the net connection goes down" I am leery of relying on mobile devices too much. It doesn't take much to ruin your day. I remember a photo hosting website that went belly up and people had been using the site as their main storage. They lost untold amounts of work and memories.

I used to use an online data backup service that went belly up. Gmail has had it's share downtime and lost mail too. So having a local copy of whatever it is you rely on is of paramount concern.

The other point is control. Using online services puts one under the control of the service provider. For maximum freedom, creating locally will never incur the risks that creating via a service will. And the way companies are moving to turn everyone into uber consumers of content, it won't be long before the pressure to monetize everyone and discourage content creation takes place, especially when everyone is under the service providers control. "Absolute power attracts the corruptible." note Microsoft's efforts to move to a subscription service / OS rental scheme. What happens if the controlling government the service operates from decides to shut it down or take over it's control?

And lastly, privacy. Online services cannot be trusted or relied on to maintain your privacy. Your data will be mined for intelligence. A controlling government could force its way into gaining access to it.

So it is no wonder the powers that be are pushing hard to enfluence everyone to think the desktop is dead and our future lies with mobile devices and online services, they would like nothing more than to control that future.

The desktop represents user freedom.

Somenoob
May 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Portable devices are still needless to very many.

energiya
May 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I think that a mobile phone and/or laptop is and will be limited by size/weight/battery life, but a desktop computer is stable and powerful, offering the user the option to choose how will it be build and how (for what reason) will run (be used for). It will not die soon.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Kind of going along with the comment that "what happens when the net connection goes down" I am leery of relying on mobile devices too much. It doesn't take much to ruin your day. I remember a photo hosting website that went belly up and people had been using the site as their main storage. They lost untold amounts of work and memories.

I used to use an online data backup service that went belly up. Gmail has had it's share downtime and lost mail too. So having a local copy of whatever it is you rely on is of paramount concern.

The other point is control. Using online services puts one under the control of the service provider. For maximum freedom, creating locally will never incur the risks that creating via a service will. And the way companies are moving to turn everyone into uber consumers of content, it won't be long before the pressure to monetize everyone and discourage content creation takes place, especially when everyone is under the service providers control. "Absolute power attracts the corruptible." note Microsoft's efforts to move to a subscription service / OS rental scheme. What happens if the controlling government the service operates from decides to shut it down or take over it's control?

And lastly, privacy. Online services cannot be trusted or relied on to maintain your privacy. Your data will be mined for intelligence. A controlling government could force its way into gaining access to it.

So it is no wonder the powers that be are pushing hard to enfluence everyone to think the desktop is dead and our future lies with mobile devices and online services, they would like nothing more than to control that future.

The desktop represents user freedom.
I think this is interesting, but truthfully, the desktop is not much more difficult for a controlling government to get into, you just make them work more to get it.

To get your information from a service provider: The government must send threatening letters and quite possibly have a good go-around in court with the service provider who (hopefully) will be protecting your interests as their consumer. Knowing that they will be on every consumers blacklist if they give up your information and data without a fight.

To get your information from you: The government must send threatening letters, attain a warrant, show up at your place and take whatever it is they want (your desktop) and leave with it. They can then not only pick over exactly what data they were looking for, but the entire contents of your hard drive as well.

aysiu
May 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM
It's not a problem with the government but with the person or organization that's going to hand your information over to the government.

If you put your information in the hands of a third party, you have to trust that that third party won't hand it over to the government. If you have the information in your own hands, you have to trust only yourself.

Yes, a government can always brute force its way into your apartment or house, but if you never consented to the break-in, you may have a legal recourse. If, however, you've already ceded your privacy rights to a third party that consents to the break-in, you have no legal recourse.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM
It's not a problem with the government but with the person or organization that's going to hand your information over to the government.

If you put your information in the hands of a third party, you have to trust that that third party won't hand it over to the government. If you have the information in your own hands, you have to trust only yourself.

Yes, a government can always brute force its way into your apartment or house, but if you never consented to the break-in, you may have a legal recourse. If, however, you've already ceded your privacy rights to a third party that consents to the break-in, you have no legal recourse.

This probably explains the bigger issue of Privacy concerns with any website that collects data. But the instant any of these sites give up a persons data without (a) Good reason or (b) a good fight, those places see a massive social backlash and bad PR.

heldal
May 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM

The keyword is diversity. Open-source, linux included, is by nature strictly driven by the community's (hence user's) needs. At the same time it doesn't seem to be much of a push towards really small mobile units. Just look at the lack of free and well-integrated handwriting recognition or gesture-based input. If the community was screaming for it wouldn't we already have something comparable to palm's graffiti or quickwrite available for kde/qt or gnome/gtk+ ? Really small handheld devices have limited usability without efficient input-mechanisms.

KiwiNZ
May 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I don't think the desktop will die . It will certainly change and the differences between the desktop and mobile will blurr.
But as mobile computing has become more affordable more are turning to it as either the only PC or having a notebook or other mobile device as well as .

This is a good thing.

Mateo
December 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Good post. I was going to start a new one, but this seems to work.

I'm currently working on my new home setup, and I'm not sure there is room/need for a desktop. I'm going to buy an Ebox 2300 for my bedroom, I already have two laptops, I'm going to get some old computer for a file/media server (haven't decided which), and probably a device like an Mvix to hook into the television.

I'm not sure if there is a need for the desktop in that setup. The only thing it can do that my other devices can't (or, shouldn't) is play games and that's not a priority of mine anyways.

I like desktops but they seem to be dying away. They are bulky, take up too much space, and aren't easily moved. And they don't do anything that we really need that can't be found in more mobile devices. Thoughts?

rune0077
December 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I went to one of those computer expositions a few months back, and they were showing off this keyboard where there actually was no hardware at all: it just projected the keyboard as light unto the table you were sitting at, and then infrared to scan your hand- and fingermovements to figure out which "key" you were pressing. They were also working on a monitor that had no physical components but would just be a holographic projection.

Well, the monitor was only in the experimental phase, but the keyboard worked flawlessly. This may be a good indication of the future of the desktop: it would still be a desktop computer, but there would be no real hardware present on the desktop, just light, smoke and mirrors. Neat!

Mateo
December 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
That sounds neat, but sounds pretty far off too. I think to the point of the thread, that's not a "desktop" in the traditional sense that I think of one. I do think people will still sit at desks to use computers, so if that's considered a desktop then I think it'll stick around. But I think they're going to get smaller and more use-specific. I think the days of the "does everything" bulky desktop are dying away.

toupeiro
December 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
To be completely honest, I will never trust 100% desktop-less computing (in every sense of the term), especially in regards to the internet. The Office is one thing. Its not MY data, its theirs. If they want me to rdesktop to some other machine somewhere, so be it. Fat chance I'll ever subscribe to that model at home.

fedex1993
December 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I think the desktop is going to be around for a while longer. The mobile devices still havnt improved since they came out is what i think.(iphone cellphones etc.) But there will still be laptops and desktops. Just because we can get it mobile and lighter doesnt mean it can do anything we want it to do.

rune0077
December 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM
That sounds neat, but sounds pretty far off too.

Yeah, but the keyboard was already for sale, though it cost something like 4000$. They even had it tested by consumer-groups, and the main complaint was, that it didn't make any sounds so it didn't felt like you're were actually "typing" on it. So, you could hook up a little noisebox to it, that made small clicking sounds to match your typing.

popch
December 9th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah, but the keyboard was already for sale, though it cost something like 4000$. They even had it tested by consumer-groups, and the main complaint was, that it didn't make any sounds so it didn't felt like you're were actually "typing" on it. So, you could hook up a little noisebox to it, that made small clicking sounds to match your typing.

Audio feedback is not a problem. There already are lots of consumer devices which do that, i.e. which have an embedded speaker to click at the user.

I would not like to use such a keyboard for its lack of tactile feedback. I know that touch typing depends much on touch.

tedonastick
April 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I've been playing with computers since I built a toy one from a kit that could count to 7 in binary. I'm working in a room with 4 desktops right now (two Macs, two PCs), and I've got a pair of linux PCs at home. My wife is still on Windows, but thinking about something different for her next machine. I bought my first laptop last year, a Dell Ubuntu.

So now that we've established that I'm not technophobic, I still prefer the desktop for all the reasons everyone else seems to. I don't even own a cellphone or tiny hand-held, and my iPod is a nano because I don't see any advantage to watching a music video or movie on a 2 inch screen.

But I'm an old guy, and most of the current generation seems to favor laptops or smaller. There's room for both, but I expect the desktop will morph a bit and become less prevalent over the next 10 years.

Ted

twright
April 6th, 2008, 01:40 AM
pity there is no good speech recognition for linux, viavoice was the only one under $1000

skymera
April 6th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Desktops wont die, ever.

Hardware is generally better,
Look nicer,
Latest and greatest hardware,
Faster hard drives, larger cache.

Laptops are common, but the desktop wont die.
I hate/Loathe laptops.