PDA

View Full Version : Office

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi to all. Is there any way to use office 2007 in Ubuntu (Fiesty) ?
Or is there any other soft (or addon for openoffice) that can do stuff from MS or looks like MS Office 2007?
(If you want i can make screenshots of openoffice and msOffice 2007 and you'll see deferents :popcorn:)
I'm asking 'cos i like how ms2007 looks. I hate an old gray programs without any effects or something.
(maybe there is 1 exeption - console programs (like wine). Just command. No more :p . But still i wanna use office 2007 in linux than in Windows :( )

PS
Sorry for my English :popcorn: Just a Russia student :popcorn:

mips
May 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
You can install a windows os in a virtual machine env like VMWare, Virtualbox, Xen etc and then install office on that windows OS.

Seems they are working on it in wine:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4992

CrossOver might support it in future, you never know,
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Downloading crossover pro now )) And what exectly the deffernse in Wine/cedega/crossover linux?

And why everywhere there is a wine bottle or cup of wine? ;)

karellen
May 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi to all. Is there any way to use office 2007 in Ubuntu (Fiesty) ?
Or is there any other soft (or addon for openoffice) that can do stuff from MS or looks like MS Office 2007?
(If you want i can make screenshots of openoffice and msOffice 2007 and you'll see deferents :popcorn:)
I'm asking 'cos i like how ms2007 looks. I hate an old gray programs without any effects or something.
(maybe there is 1 exeption - console programs (like wine). Just command. No more :p . But still i wanna use office 2007 in linux than in Windows :( )

PS
Sorry for my English :popcorn: Just a Russia student :popcorn:

well why don't you run office 2007 in windows instead of all the trouble making it work in linux? plus, if you have office 2007 you surely have windows...;)

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Have you actually tried Open Office? There isn't anything wrong with it, it in fact supports more formats than MS office last time I checked. I don't know what your exactly wanting with 2007... If you want flash and cool effects, install Beryl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)) and you will get just that and in all your windows not just office 2007. As for add ons/hacks to get it to look like 2007, I don't know any that replicate the ribbon/rest of layout. OpenOffice does everything ya need, word excel and powerpoint very well, if a bit different in layout. Just like GIMP, once you get used to it there is no functional difference really.

karellen
May 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Have you actually tried Open Office? There isn't anything wrong with it, it in fact supports more formats than MS office last time I checked. I don't know what your exactly wanting with 2007... If you want flash and cool effects, install Beryl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)) and you will get just that and in all your windows not just office 2007. As for add ons/hacks to get it to look like 2007, I don't know any that replicate the ribbon/rest of layout. OpenOffice does everything ya need, word excel and powerpoint very well, if a bit different in layout. Just like GIMP, once you get used to it there is no functional difference really.

he wants office 2007, not openoffice...
in my particular case openoffice doesn't do everything I need...

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I have Windows named Vista. And after 5 min it will be formated.
Beryl already installed and works perfectly. I want to make openoffice to look and have functionality like MS. For exemple i want this huge bar at the top of the screen but not that stuped little bar with openning menus (like all <Office2007) . I want to have quick effect for picture that i pasted too documents. Shortly i want office 12 suite in linux. And how we say : E niibet )))

PS
Crossover is working. A have runed steam perfectly. And only ones was able to run Garry's mod. Next time ot was so laggy. :(

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Heh ))) i can't run open office! :D I click on it's shortcut, logo appears and nothing ! )))) Crazy office )))))

Lucifiel
May 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Heh ))) i can't run open office! :D I click on it's shortcut, logo appears and nothing ! )))) Crazy office )))))

Maybe you might need to configure some settings in order for Office to run?

Just a guess since I haven't used Crossover before.

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Emm why Crossover? I don't use it while openning open office ;) Cos' open office is for linux but cross over is windows emulator ))):D And i think if i even delete crossover nothing will change to openoffice ))) :popcorn:

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I have Windows named Vista. And after 5 min it will be formated.
Beryl already installed and works perfectly. I want to make openoffice to look and have functionality like MS. For exemple i want this huge bar at the top of the screen but not that stuped little bar with openning menus (like all <Office2007) . I want to have quick effect for picture that i pasted too documents. Shortly i want office 12 suite in linux. And how we say : E niibet )))

Uhhh, the big bar is the ribbon, and open office won't ever get that. MS will make sure, even if it were possible MS would sue the crap out of em or something. So don't hold your breath on getting open office looking/feeling like office 2007. If you really want it, I'd make a new project and be the leader... no other way its gonna happen >.>.

I myself found the ribbon mildly annoying when I tried it, I'll stick to plain menus.

Oh and I've no idea why open office didn't work when you loaded it... its never failed to load for me >.>.

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
When i loaded back to XGL (when i tested CrossOver i was in standart gnome mode) and open office started. :frown: It's look , even if it no gray ( i upgraded my ubunt with ubuntustudio stuff and gray everywhere was changed to lightblack) so old! I want my huge nice toolbar where all options are on screen or can be quickly geted. I was not able to work comfortable in school on mac pc (we have mac notebooks. mac - suuuuuucks.... but notebook are nice ;) ) There was Office 2002 suite for mac. For exemple to make any effect to picture i need right click it and open proportion dialog. Then search what i want. Sometimes it wasn't there (for exemple 3d effect) and i needed to search else where.
In MSOffice suite 12 everything is so easy )) I made so nice documents (forgoted word from your launguage that means document about something/someone for school :) ) so my teachers (em.... most of them) marked me 5 even didn't read it. I don't think that i'm able to do something like that in open office.

PS
What means 'If you really want it, I'd make a new project and be the leader'
I understand english most well but who gonna be leader? ;) If yuo mean my, than what i need to do and how* to edit open office?
* - means using what tools?

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Have you looked at abiword? It's not as feature rich as openoffice but it looks nice... I guess

nike984
May 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM
just install VirtualBox using this tutorial
http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/05/07/installing-virtualbox-and-windows-using-virtualbox-in-ubuntu/

then install XP over VirtualBox and MS Office in it.
VirtualBox is much faster than VMware.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
When i loaded back to XGL (when i tested CrossOver i was in standart gnome mode) and open office started. :frown: It's look , even if it no gray ( i upgraded my ubunt with ubuntustudio stuff and gray everywhere was changed to lightblack) so old! I want my huge nice toolbar where all options are on screen or can be quickly geted. I was not able to work comfortable in school on mac pc (we have mac notebooks. mac - suuuuuucks.... but notebook are nice ;) ) There was Office 2002 suite for mac. For exemple to make any effect to picture i need right click it and open proportion dialog. Then search what i want. Sometimes it wasn't there (for exemple 3d effect) and i needed to search else where.
In MSOffice suite 12 everything is so easy )) I made so nice documents (forgoted word from your launguage that means document about something/someone for school :) ) so my teachers (em.... most of them) marked me 5 even didn't read it. I don't think that i'm able to do something like that in open office.

PS
What means 'If you really want it, I'd make a new project and be the leader'
I understand english most well but who gonna be leader? ;) If yuo mean my, than what i need to do and how* to edit open office?
* - means using what tools?

I think your misunderstanding me... What you like in the latest office 2007 is THIS, (http://www.nishanthchandran.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/microsoft-office-2007.jpg) that is called the Ribbon (the big bar at top). MS made it, and they likely patented every single button to prevent open office(or others) from doing anything similar. That means, to my knowledge there is no way to make Open Office look like that. IF openoffice made a ribbon (or a hack were made like GIMPshop) MS would sue the devs into OBLIVION! So, you should get used to way open office is, there is nothing wrong with it, and no there is nothing to my knowledge that you can't do in open office that you can in word, excel, or powerpoint (except maybe a few advanced macros in excel).

As to your PS, I was trying to tell you that if your that determined to get OpenOffice to look like Office 2007 you should form a dev group on sourceforge and get people together to make it. I don't think anyone else is trying to make any such project. I wish you good luck with it. If you absolutely must have Office 2007 and the ribbon, you need to use Vista/XP, I don't know any other way. Run it in a VM (like VMware) or dual boot.

Edit: To nike, I'd debate the speed thing but I'm not sure. I do know VMware has many features (in workstation at least that I use) which are superior to vbox (which is still young and not matured). They include built in snapshot, built in screen capture/video capture, and a lot of other functional network tweaks and other options adjustments. That said, VBox is free and VMware workstation costs money, so use that if you must Cartman. I will stick to open office, I just can't use Office anymore, to me it acknowledges that I need MS in my life. Which, I don't.

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hmm thanks )
I think if there was not sourceforge.org but sourceforge.ru there already is this Ribbon )))
i'll explain:
In Russia we haw ****** all copyrights, law (internet law only) and other ****. An every home there is only Pirate version of Windows (if there are windows). In my life i never bought (as my frends) any soft (there were exceptions like HL2 or ASP Linux only cos' of my greatest respect to developers). And i now that i will be punished only if i personally go to cops. And i'm sure that if we do something like that, microsoft will not be able do do something to me cos i , like my companions , was doing it only for personal use. And it get to inet not by our will )))))
How we say "All rights ******"

PS
Do not misunderstood me. I didn't mean that we are not civilized. I mean that we more logical (not then you ;) i mean just more) . Why we need to pay 800$ (or use cut edition) only to draw 1 stupid picture for school in Photoshop? Or i misunderstood you. If so - sorry ))

PSS
Our little game archive: http://www.kornet.ru/game/list.php All are available for download on 100 mb/sec speed :popcorn: (It wasn't updated long. Space ended)

PSSS
Sory for my school level English

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hmm thanks )
I think if there was not sourceforge.org but sourceforge.ru there already is this Ribbon )))
i'll explain:
In Russia we haw ****** all copyrights, law (internet law only) and other ****. An every home there is only Pirate version of Windows (if there are windows). In my life i never bought (as my frends) any soft (there were exceptions like HL2 or ASP Linux only cos' of my greatest respect to developers). And i now that i will be punished only if i personally go to cops. And i'm sure that if we do something like that, microsoft will not be able do do something to me cos i , like my companions , was doing it only for personal use. And it get to inet not by our will )))))
How we say "All rights ******"

Uh, well, I dunno. I haven't seen a ribbon GUI hack on sourceforge for OO, if you have please link to it here. I'd love to see it (I'm sure others would too) and maybe even help it a long. That said, I'm plenty happy as it is in openoffice even after having seen and used the ribbon.

Oh and, yes, I'm well aware of how Russia and other north eastern companies don't much care for paying for software, I won't pass comment on that. You do whatever you think right.

ASPCartman
May 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM
My english. I mean IF there was sourceforge.ru (means was based in russia).

And i'll correct you. Russia is europe. Asia sucks (I thing so. Exept Japan).

PS
Are you going to pay 800$ for 1 picture in photoshop? ;)

Hex_Mandos
May 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM
PS
Are you going to pay 800$ for 1 picture in photoshop? ;)

Who needs PS when you have Gimp and Krita?

H.E. Pennypacker
May 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM
There's no doubt MS Office 2007 looks amazing. It beats everything else Microsoft has to offer.

starcraft.man
May 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM
There's no doubt MS Office 2007 looks amazing. It beats everything else Microsoft has to offer.

I agree, I never expected MS to be capable to make something innovative (ever in fact, given their track record on products, I guess that will be their only innovation for the next 5-8 years given they kept selling Office the same for so long), too bad they put all their effort into Office and crammed all the crap into Vista. I think they had their priorities mixed up on that one. That said, I've used the ribbon, and I quite frankly don't really need it, I'm happy with openoffice I know where everything is, call me a simple guy.

And to Cartman, sorry, I misunderstood your hypothetical. And no, I would never pay 800$ for any photo manipulating software, nor 400$ for a certain OS....

Quillz
May 27th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Who needs PS when you have Gimp and Krita?
I do, for one. GIMP can't do nearly half the stuff that I use Photoshop for. GIMP 2.3 is better, but it still lacks a few features here and there that would keep me from using Photoshop for good.

I fully agree, Office 2007 is amazing, a serious upgrade from 2003, in my opinion. Considering the number of people that now want the Ribbon in OOo and other office suites, it's obvious that it was a good move on their part.

starcraft.man
May 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I fully agree, Office 2007 is amazing, a serious upgrade from 2003, in my opinion. Considering the number of people that now want the Ribbon in OOo and other office suites, it's obvious that it was a good move on their part.

I guess theres going to be a lot of disappointed OpenOffice users... MS would never allow it to happen (Bill would go on a muderous rampage :p), and I am guessing there are features missing from OO that take higher priority than Ribbon (like updating Spreadsheet so its more comparable to Excel). Call me a grump, but it isn't that hard to spend a few hours and learn where every important function in each individual OO App is. People managed for years before the Ribbon, they just need to put a bit of effort in IMO >.>. And yes, I have used/seen Ribbon extensively.

Quillz
May 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I guess theres going to be a lot of disappointed OpenOffice users... MS would never allow it to happen (Bill would go on a muderous rampage :p), and I am guessing there are features missing from OO that take higher priority than Ribbon (like updating Spreadsheet so its more comparable to Excel). Call me a grump, but it isn't that hard to spend a few hours and learn where every important function in each individual OO App is. People managed for years before the Ribbon, they just need to put a bit of effort in IMO >.>. And yes, I have used/seen Ribbon extensively.
Actually, Microsoft allows developers to use the Ribbon concept royalty-free, except for competing office suites. So programs like PowerArchiver 2007 now have a Ribbon of their own.

starcraft.man
May 27th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Actually, Microsoft allows developers to use the Ribbon concept royalty-free, except for competing office suites. So programs like PowerArchiver 2007 now have a Ribbon of their own.

Ok... which still means, like I said OO(or any other suite) will never get the Ribbon concept (unless your inferring they aren't competing products??? I think some devs would be insulted... *rolls eyes*), since its been patented by MS. Who cares (no offence) if other programs use the Ribbon, most other programs don't have as many hundreds (maybe even a thousand) of operations as Office Suites... once again, me = grump :p. I don't see any need for a Ribbon in anything but an office suite, course, I don't really see a "dire" need for a ribbon in OO either, its like Vista's aero glass/Beryl, while its nice to have you don't need it to use the program >.>.

ASPCartman
May 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Maybe we need to look for new concept? Create something better and what Microsoft will not be able to close :) (Just an optimistic point of view :p )
'If you really want it, do it'

ASPCartman
May 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Emm a little offtopic - how (using what tools) to edit any open office programm (or for exemple 'file roller') ? What i need?

ASPCartman
May 27th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Emm some one here?

starcraft.man
May 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Emm some one here?

Uh, you mean to overhaul the gui for OO? Well, I'm no expert but this (http://contributing.openoffice.org/programming.html) is probably where you want to look. I don't believe there is a tool per se, you'd have to get the code and rewrite it. Changing the GUI layout though is easier than rewriting features, at least thats what I'm told. There is also of course the support forums (http://support.openoffice.org/index.html), there are a few dev sections.

That said, making something as functional or better than the Ribbon is prolly really hard. I'd say ya should join the dev team and see what their all working on and take it slow. Good luck though, I'd like to see it :)

ASPCartman
May 27th, 2007, 01:42 PM

dspari1
May 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The best way to get around this patent is to make the OO GUI themeable and configurable enough that it is possible to make it look like anything you want. It would be similar to how people make KDE look like anything they want(If you really want to, KDE can look identical or close enough to either Mac OS X or Windows XP/Vista).

This way, someone is able to make the ribbon theme that isn't directly included with OO.

ASPCartman
May 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hmm interesting. The westion is ...... how?:popcorn: