PDA

View Full Version : What if you can't swim??

beercz
May 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
In google maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

Type:

new york to london

In the search bar and execute the search.

Read the directions in the left panel, somewhere around step 21.

kevinlyfellow
May 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Great find!!!! Lol

beercz
May 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Great find!!!! Lol
I shouldn't get the credit for this, I read it somewhere in one of the computing trade magazines, can't remember where though.

Hallvor
May 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Priceless! :)

steven8
May 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I particularly like the:

Slight right at E05

after being told to swim across the atlantic ocean.

Excellent! :)

xpod
May 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
And if you do make it over be carefull which directions you then take to come visit me..........you may just end up IN someone elses house.:shock:

jgrabham
May 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM
That says directions to drive. Should I tie my car to my back, so can get back in it in France?

Lord Illidan
May 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I don't think this is a bug...more like a tongue in cheek thing..

EDIT: I checked it and it is recurrent..so it must have been a joke.

kevinlyfellow
May 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
That says directions to drive. Should I tie my car to my back, so can get back in it in France?

Well, it recommends that you drive through Boston, so your car will probably be so beat up by the time you get to the ocean you won't want it anyways

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well, it recommends that you drive through Boston, so your car will probably be so beat up by the time you get to the ocean you won't want it anyways
Driving through Boston gets you lost... it doesn't get your car beat up.

kevinlyfellow
May 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Driving through Boston gets you lost... it doesn't get your car beat up.

Ummm... Boston drivers are notoriously aggressive. You get lost through those one ways too...

Edit: I'm reminded of a time when I was in HS and me and a friend went to Boston to see a Sox game (Red Sox vs White Sox, Derek Lowe was pitching). We went early to take a tour of Fenway. We were also given directions to a place we could park for free (we had a parking permit from a friend). Turns out the place had been torn down. We drove around for hours completely lost. And I tell you, I'm living near LA now, and Boston traffic is a lot scarier!

TBOL3
May 26th, 2007, 09:28 PM
What I find amazing, is it knows exactly where you are in New York.:lolflag:

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Boston traffic is not scarier.

I've never been a traffic jam in Boston that's lasted 3 hours or that couldn't be circumvented by taking local roads.

Last time I was in LA, I was trying to meet my brother for dinner (he lived "45 minutes away," according to Google maps), it took me three hours to get there, and taking a "local" road to another highway didn't help. It was backed up everywhere. After dinner, he told me the trip back shouldn't be so bad, since rush hour was over. It also took three hours to go back.

LA has random traffic jams any time of the day for almost no reason (there doesn't have to be an accident or a lane closing) and with very little recourse. Boston has traffic jams on the Turnpike during rush hour and in some parts of the city (also during rush hour). Otherwise, it's fine. Now, finding parking in Boston... that's another story entirely!

kevinlyfellow
May 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Boston traffic is not scarier.

I've never been a traffic jam in Boston that's lasted 3 hours or that couldn't be circumvented by taking local roads.

Last time I was in LA, I was trying to meet my brother for dinner (he lived "45 minutes away," according to Google maps), it took me three hours to get there, and taking a "local" road to another highway didn't help. It was backed up everywhere. After dinner, he told me the trip back shouldn't be so bad, since rush hour was over. It also took three hours to go back.

LA has random traffic jams any time of the day for almost no reason (there doesn't have to be an accident or a lane closing) and with very little recourse. Boston has traffic jams on the Turnpike during rush hour and in some parts of the city (also during rush hour). Otherwise, it's fine. Now, finding parking in Boston... that's another story entirely!

Hahaha... very very true. Traffic jams are terrible around here, and are completely random and there is NO WAY OUT. I still think that Boston drivers are a lot more scary though :-)

H.E. Pennypacker
May 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Boston is quite scary. I am surprised I actually made it home, but then again, someone else was driving. The streets looked like a mess, though.

Finding parking? Regardless of where I am, finding a place to park is always a nightmare. It's especially worse when I am in large cities. I am glad I live in a fairly small town.

aysiu
May 27th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I still think that Boston drivers are a lot more scary though :-) You're right on. I remember the first time I visited LA, I was shocked that someone stopped for me when I was a pedestrian in the crosswalk! In Boston, it's every person for herself...

icechen1
May 27th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I don't think this is a bug...more like a tongue in cheek thing..

EDIT: I checked it and it is recurrent..so it must have been a joke.

It is an easter egg that google has hidden,i read about his in wikipedia . :)