PDA

View Full Version : best web development tool

bmeyer
May 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hello all!
I recently transitioned from Windows and am trying to find the best, all around web development tool. I'm playing around with Quanta, Screem, and Bluefish. I used to mainly use Dreamweaver.
I DO NOT need WYSIWYG, mainly an editor with syntax highlighting, inserts, templating, and other development tools. I liked developing in Dreamweaver mainly because of the built in FTP that allowed uploading single files (not just the entire site).

What of the 3 (or others I should try) would be best for this?

thisllub
May 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Nothing compares to VIM and Emacs but I prefer VIM.
I have been writing software for over 20 years. Coming from a mostly DOS / Windows background until about 5 years ago. I used Vi for simple stuff when I needed it. I used Quanta for about a year.
Only this year have I taken the trouble to learn some the features of VIM.

It might seem complex but I am amazed at how quickly I can do things now.

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Quanta is the only free software web development tool that will compare to Dreamweaver. It supports FTP automatically and transparently, as all KDE apps automatically do, has highly customizable syntax highlighting, templates, templating, PHP editing (and in KDE 4, will integrate with KDevelop for numerous other web app development platforms). Other than Quanta, there aren't any professional quality web development tools. It also works as a superb all around XML and Docbook editor.

There are other programs like Bluefish or Kompozer, but they are very primitive and only useful for something on the level of a basic personal homepage. They don't have the polish or stability of Quanta, or its enterprise quality features.

mech7
May 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Aptana is pretty good only a bit slow.. I like Gedit just wish it had some kind of code completion :(

Spano
May 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Quanta - Im going to give that a try, hadn't heard of it.
There's a wysiwig called Nvu that offered split and code view and had built in ftp, seems to be on it's way out though. Dev of that software is working on a project called Composer. You might Google Nvu and Composer for ideas.

I have read that Dreamweaver 8 works very nicely under wine.

GoneWithTheWind
May 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I'm looking to write a web page for a server where people can upload and have their results ranked for a sporting event. There will be a dozen or so columns, and maybe 100 lines of rankings that will move up and down with the scores.

I've made web pages writing the html from scratch in a word processor, but a program would make the process less cumbersome. I'm looking for something that is easy to understand and to use, and to upload the code to the server.

Might quanta or bluefish be a better program for me?

ThinkBuntu
May 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Quanta is valuable, if nothing else, for the <f6> shortcut to preview the page in a real inline browser window. I use Bluefish, because my sites often make heavy use of PHP and I need to preview in a web browser via my localhost anyway.

Also, Quanta's editor takes a lot of configuration to get to output sane autocompletion of tags, etc. In this aspect (and in syntax highlighting) Bluefish is superior.