PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks I'm an *******?

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I was just called rude on another thread and I actually don't see why.

Maybe someone can look at my collective posts and threads and tell me why many thing that I may come off as a little rude.

I'm just looking for a little help by being able to express myself a little better while offering my opinion and what should be noticeable answers.

I am not in any way trying to get banned from the forums in any way. I enjoy reading and participating in these forums and feel like I have something to offer for some, but not most people asking for help here.

Thank you in advance.

-SE

loathsome
May 26th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Damn.

Why do you even bother? It's like .. ĞMommy bohoo, I was called rude by that big boy over there say something nice to meğ

dbbolton
May 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM
i don't think anyone can measure up to the B man in this department.

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I was expecting this thread to be a poll. =P LOL

There you go! Start up a poll and ask the masses...are you an asterisk-lover or not!?

WalmartSniperLX
May 26th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Yeah you really are. I hate you.

JK. Don't worry about it. I've found myself being a little rude once or twice, but I always do my best to make up for it by being nice.

:p

EdThaSlayer
May 26th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Can you show us an example of your "rudeness"?

loathsome
May 26th, 2007, 06:57 AM
You've got merely 250 posts, nobody even knows who the heck you are.

dbbolton
May 26th, 2007, 07:01 AM
You've got merely 250 posts, nobody even knows who the heck you are.
beans = everything

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I just typed "steveneddy" into Google and all of the posts I have posted most people say I am rude.

I just find it fun to play with the bloggers that act like news people.

Does that make me bad?

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Can you show us an example of your "rudeness"?

He's not responding to you. I'd say that ranks pretty high on the rude-o-meter.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
He's not responding to you. I'd say that ranks pretty high on the rude-o-meter.

OK - I had to sleep - but here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2554056#post2554056) is an example.

If one reads the whole page you will see my responce and the next to last post is the OP's opinion of my "advice" or whatever it was on my posting.

Here (http://www.technovia.co.uk/?p=1120) I make it to the internet from a posting about Windows and onto another blog. I'm getting famous!

But he makes it seem harsher than it really was.

I would like to come off as the strong, decisive type, which I believe that I am, but all I can do is look like an ****, if you get my meaning.

and no - I'm not ignoring you, but I will if you want me to.

EDIT - the words that keep being replaced by the forums, which is cool, BTW, are me trying to refer to myself as the backside orifice of one's person.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Maybe I should have done a poll - that would have gotten some traffic.

And beans aren't added in the Community forums......are they?

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Don't worry about it, there will always be someone you make mad. For every 20 people I've helped, I'm sure at least one probably got upset at something I said or misunderstood my meaning. If your trying to portray strong and decisive ya really shouldn't have posted this thread at all, and instead just ignored those people or in the case of the blogger, send him a nice email/comment defending yourself clearly. I don't think either was that bad (I've seen worse) and the truth is the blogger was probably looking to nail Ubuntu anyway he could, your post just happened to fit his criteria (he could have probably picked any other with a slightly upset/negative tone).

So, if it really bothers ya make a post in his comments and defend what ya said by putting it in better context, don't ask us to do it for ya though >.>.

Edit: lol, I don't think ya need a poll, do what you think is right, thats worked for me so far. and No, beans added in every other board than the cafe.

fuscia
May 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
overbearing and preachy, maybe, but certainly not rude.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
overbearing and preachy, maybe, but certainly not rude.

I respect you opinion, fuscia, after much lurking reading your posts and threads and I will take this into account.

Thank you.

-SE

fuscia
May 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I respect you opinion, fuscia, after much lurking reading your posts and threads and I will take this into account.

Thank you.

-SE

no problem. your encounters seem mostly a clash between different levels of enthusiasm. i don't think you necessarily have to change, but if you wish to have conversations with people who find you abrasive, you might have to, on those occassions, compromise the vehemence of your statements. for example: my view on religion is pretty hostile (i don't think i've made a secret of that), but if i wish to have a conversation with religious people about that topic, i have to behave in a way that makes participation in such a discussion possible for those who are religious. i can't do that at the expense of saying what i mean, but i can certainly find ways to state my thoughts in a plainer manner without the usual flippant decorations i might normally use. sometimes, you can't do it and you just have to live with people thinking you're a jerk.

MonkeyBoy
May 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cool Who thinks I'm an *******?

*******? I still dunno what the secret word is there, but having googled your name I have to say I am quite impressed by how many people worldwide are annoyed by you.

Keep up the good work!

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM
*******? I still dunno what the secret word is there, but having googled your name I have to say I am quite impressed by how many people worldwide are annoyed by you.

Keep up the good work!

See the last line of post # 11.

And, thank you very much.

MonkeyBoy
May 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
See the last line of post # 11.

Ah... In the jolly old U of K we spell that term with an R and an extra E, and one less S so the number of asterisks confused me but now I remember how awful you are at spelling on that side of the Atlantic it makes sense. ;)

muguwmp67
May 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I read one of your posts. You used the word 'robust'.

I hate that word.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I hate that word.

ROFL!!! You hate a word? What a spammer :p

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
In the quotation from that blog post (http://www.technovia.co.uk/?p=1120), you were actually rude.

But it's a bit of pot and kettle.

You said
You are a complete idiot. but the blog post says
there are crazy, unfriendly and stupid zealots in every community. which pretty much is the same as saying Steveneddy is crazy and stupid.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
In the quotation from that blog post (http://www.technovia.co.uk/?p=1120), you were actually rude.

But it's a bit of pot and kettle.

You said but the blog post says which pretty much is the same as saying Steveneddy is crazy and stupid.

The entire post and thread from that conversation is actually quite humorous. I was surprised that I am yet again, world famous for doing something that i thought no one else would notice.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Ah... In the jolly old U of K we spell that term with an R and an extra E, and one less S so the number of asterisks confused me but now I remember how awful you are at spelling on that side of the Atlantic it makes sense. ;)

I used that word, the four letter one once and the forums made it look like this - **** - but I originally used a word that was seven letters long and was, well, I wasn't expecting the forums fo block the word, so I will drop it.

I'll put up a poll next time.

Maybe I need to get my blog going again.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM

I hate that word.

_I_ used the word robust?

Was I talking about coffee?

I can't imaging where I would use that word.

:popcorn:

muguwmp67
May 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM
It may not be you, but I saw this on ZDnet: (http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=32878&messageID=612907)

Linux is more robust, reliable and stable than Windows,so get used to a new OS and enjoy yourself while you learn something new for a change.

-SE
Posted by: steveneddy Posted on: 05/02/07

Shame on you!!! (If its you)

Also, that sentence comes across as a rather rude thing to say to someone.

jgrabham
May 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Imagine if meps asked that question!

earobinson
May 26th, 2007, 09:34 PM
really I wouldent worry unless the mods have contacted you, always try and be as polite as you can as a general rule. But if the mods havent bothered to contact you dont wory

steveneddy
May 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
It may not be you, but I saw this on ZDnet: (http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=32878&messageID=612907)

Shame on you!!! (If its you)

Also, that sentence comes across as a rather rude thing to say to someone.

That was me, AAMOF, and I didn't think that it was rude. Did you read the entire thread?

This is what I am talking about. Am I coming across to harsh?

Or are the windows zealots just a little whiny?

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Off-topic...

There used to be an old BBS game called "Legend of the Red Dragon" (LOTD?)

The one thing I remember about it was how it censored folks. You'd type something like..

Yes, I wear glasses.

...and it would censor you by writing...

Yes, I wear glbutts.

Brilliant!

Tundro Walker
May 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM
BTW, I read the ZDnet article.

I don't think you're rude. I think you were made to seem "rude" by the journalistic person writing the article deciding to quote what you said in it. When someone is writing an article in journalistic fashion, people still read it like it's unbiased, calm and well-thought-out "news". Hence, when they see a quote like that in the middle of it, they think "wow, the person being quoted is really rude!" Well, yeah, compared to the bland journalistic writing of the article.

My take on that is, forum's are not quotable resources. People trash-talk, flame, lie, joke around, etc in forum threads. IE: they act like regular people. If you're quoting someone from a forum, then I lose respect for you as a journalist, not for the person you're quoting. If you found something someone said in a forum to be rude, and you want to include it in your journalistic article, then contact that person and allow them to "come up to your level" by re-stating what they said in a polite manner that wouldn't come off so sensationalist in your news article.

So, StevenEddy...you're not rude. The article writer was. I think you are probably passionate about your beliefs, and may come off critical or harsh at times, but lots of folks are like that, especially due to the anonymity the internet can provide.

ikonia
May 27th, 2007, 12:08 AM
This is an incredibly weak thread.

It strikes me that this is potentially a way to highlight and publicise someones percieved status on the internet

dbbolton
May 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Imagine if meps asked that question!

meps is awesome

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Change your forums signature to include a copyright notice, then send a cease and desist order to ZDNet... that'll teach em to quote out of context. ;) :lol:

%hMa@?b<C
May 27th, 2007, 01:45 AM
you care way too much about your e-reputation. relax.

steveneddy
May 27th, 2007, 03:41 AM
you care way too much about your e-reputation. relax.

Actually, I don't. This has gone on farther than I would ever expected it to and I have received many different views on what is actually in context relating to my Ubuntu Forums and other forums postings.

I want to come across strong, but not arrogant and I am just trying to get a better understanding how I can post without getting everyone else bent out of shape.

Caring about a reputation that doesn't even exist, I don't think so. I've had my five minutes, I just find it amusing that I am getting attention over what actually amounts to nothing.

Thank you everyone for your input.

-SE

loathsome
May 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I think it's extremely stupid that you're doing this. Just leave this thread, there's nothing more to discuss.

PatrickMay16
May 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Steveneddy, I think you're not rude at all. You seem pretty sensible to me. Yes. If anyone's rude right now, it would be Loathsome, who's being extremely stupid here. loathsome, just leave this thread, there's nothing more for you to discuss. Heh heh heh...

amphet
May 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think you're an asterisk

earobinson
May 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I don't think you're an asterisk
ya your more like a #

steveneddy
May 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM
ya your more like a #

Most of the time I feel like a %.

Last week I saw a #, but it was a $ instead. I have bad eyes, you see.

ticopelp
May 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
The worst I could say about you is that you seem like quite an attention *****.

steveneddy
May 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM
The worst I could say about you is that you seem like quite an attention *****.

All i did was post one thread and it got a little out of hand.

There are other posts where we must keep ourselves entertained somehow.

This is just one of them.

My original question was probably answered by fuscia long ago. The rest is just fun to read.

I can be a butt and I am trying to take measures to make sure that I am not perceived as one while posting all over the internet, which I do often.

I would like to be taken seriously, well, more seriously than I am not, let's say, while representing Linux and Ubuntu on other's forums and blogs.

BTW - I am 43 this month, tomorrow, so wish me a Happy Birthday.

PatrickMay16
May 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Happy birthday, Steveneddy... you're a REAL MAN now.

fuscia
May 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM

you're 43??? wow, i thought you were in high school!

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM

People often say similar things about me. I usually tell them that I'll start acting my age as soon as my parents do. (and the older they get, the less likely it is that it will ever happen... :D)

fuscia
May 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM
i'm 50. what's that tell you?

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 11:29 PM

That the people who's posts I enjoy reading the most are of a similar age to myself.... ;)

loell
May 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hah! :popcorn: and those that did not enjoy reading the thread, and took this seariously are most probably way way younger.

fuscia
May 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Hah! :popcorn: and those that did not enjoy reading the thread, and took this seariously are most probably way way younger.

i had to look at the title. i think i've drifted off course, somewhat...

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM
You should never take life too seriously. After all, you'll never get out alive... ;)

Kuoi
May 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Mods , please lock or delete this threath ...
it's so rude we have to read this ! ;-)

Kuoi

ticopelp
May 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM
All i did was post one thread and it got a little out of hand.

There are other posts where we must keep ourselves entertained somehow.

This is just one of them.

My original question was probably answered by fuscia long ago. The rest is just fun to read.

I can be a butt and I am trying to take measures to make sure that I am not perceived as one while posting all over the internet, which I do often.

I would like to be taken seriously, well, more seriously than I am not, let's say, while representing Linux and Ubuntu on other's forums and blogs.

Heh. "I'm not an attention *****, by the way, wish me happy birthday!" My hat is off to you, sir.

I was going off this thread, and your other one that said something to the effect of "hey guys, I posted a comment on some other blog, go read that, come back here and tell me what you think!" You just seem sort of fixated on what other people on the Internet think of you. Take it from someone who knows -- this is not wise.

fuscia
May 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Mods , please lock or delete this threath ...
it's so rude we have to read this ! ;-)

Kuoi

if you jump in a lake, this thread...i promise you...will not follow.

loell
May 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
@ yabbadabbadont , yeah, true :))

just makes me wonder, your not dying soon are ya. we'd really, really, miss you :p

loell
May 28th, 2007, 12:00 AM
i had to look at the title. i think i've drifted off course, somewhat...

too off course, that it will be like, creation vs evolution threads? and "the there's no such thing as God" threads? ;)

TheMono
May 28th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm amazed this has six pages of replies... And look, I've just gone and made it worse. Crap.

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'm amazed this has six pages of replies... And look, I've just gone and made it worse. Crap.

Myself. I never thought it would get this much attention.

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM
too off course, that it will be like, creation vs evolution threads? and "the there's no such thing as God" threads? ;)

That is fuscia's domain.

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Take it from someone who knows -- this is not wise.

What do you know - you only have 51 beans!

That wasn't rude, was it?

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Happy birthday, Steveneddy... you're a REAL MAN now.

I have been a "Real Man" for many years now.

Thank you, anyway.

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:13 AM

Most people do. I still like to keep that attitude around. It suits me well.

I have to put on my "Ruler of the Universe" hat when I go back to work Tuesday, though.

Seriously. I wear a hat that says "Ruler of the Universe"

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM

50! You're old....I mean, wow, I never would have thought it, either.

:popcorn:

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM

I keep telling myself that I won't answer anything else on this thread just to let it die, but I can't make myself.

If someone posts something, I feel compelled to answer.

Seven pages, and I didn't think it would get an answer.

ticopelp
May 28th, 2007, 12:23 AM
What do you know - you only have 51 beans!

That wasn't rude, was it?

Rude, no; silly, yes.

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
This thread can't be any less significant that this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2732391#post2732391).

Am I correct, yabbadabbadont?

yabbadabbadont
May 28th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Rude, no; silly, yes.

That's a good thing. The world can always use a little more silliness. ;)

steveneddy
May 28th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Mod - please close this thread - it has run it's course.

It may deleted if necessary for disc space on the server for more important threads.

-SE