PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Bean Counts....

Happy_Man
May 26th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I don't know if it's against the rules to post this here, but beccause I have no life, I made notes of how many posts = what kind of ubuntu you've got:

0 (only if you have only ever posted in the Cafe) = Ubuntu Green Beans
1-13 = First cup of Ubuntu
14 = Spilled the Beans
15-90? = 5 cups of Ubuntu
90?-100? =Just Give Me the Beans!
100?-250 = A carafe of Ubuntu
250-350? = Way Too much Ubuntu
350-? = Ubuntu Extra Shot
?-500 = Quad Shot of Ubuntu
500-? = Half-Shot, Low Foam Ubuntu
?-700 = Dipped in Ubuntu
700-790 = Has an Ubuntu drip
790- 850 = Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
850-930 = 100% Pure Ubuntu
930-1000 = Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
1000 -? = Dark Roasted Ubuntu

Special Ones:
Forum Donator = Ubuntu Espresso Roast
Forum Admin = Ubuntu Master Roaster (A couple have changed it, like aysiu, but the picture is the same)

starcraft.man, stop posting so fast! I'm basing my higher bean counts off of you!

I'll just keep updating this as I climb through the ranks.... see? I said I had no life. :razz:

FuturePilot
May 26th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I heard that it's different for each member. It's random. I've seen Spilled the Beans a few times. And Ubuntu Green Beans.

Speaking of Bean counts, I had a coffee cup but it ran away on me. lol

Happy_Man
May 26th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Oh right, forgot about spilled. Will add. Thanks. Not sure about Green beans... maybe if you misbehave?

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 04:36 AM
From the forum FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48):
What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?
Beans are posts. The post/bean count can be turned off by the user if so desired.

There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.

The images, their colors, and the changing icons don't have any special meaning. They simply change as time goes by. You will see (among other things) green coffee beans, roasted (brown) coffee beans, various sorts of coffee cups and mugs and so on. Like the titles, nothing specific is implied by the presence of specific images or titles (in almost all cases that is...staff, admins and banned users are some of the exceptions). These items are for fun, and are not serious. They are not a rank of any kind. They don't tell anyone how long you've been here nor how many posts you've made. The sayings and the images are a semi-random feature we have to provide a little kick. There is some structure to it, but only on the implementation side. We did this on purpose - because it was fun and whimsical.

There isn't a list of what you get, and when, because that's not the point. The reason for the secrecy was/is this: while we want to reward people who participate in these forums with titles and changing symbols we really don't want them to become some sort of gauge that people use to determine whether someone is speaking with more/less authority on a support topic. Other forums use the title/icon system that way and more power to them. However, there are people here with less than 20 posts who can code circles around much of the staff and are capable of giving amazing and useful responses to support questions...and there are some of us here with thousands of posts who might get lucky with a good and helpful reply on occasion. The fear is that people might use post count and titles/symbols as a means of judging the validity of a post's content rather than the content itself. We had a long discussion about this in the forums when they were first started and this subject has been revisited among the staff several times. Some forum members and staff wanted to eliminate the post count and title/icon system completely, some have gone the other way wanting a complete ranking system that is clear and gives honorific titles with great meaning to those with higher post counts (that particular group is in the extreme minority). The current system is a compromise that has been working pretty well for a while. With the compromise of meaningless titles/icons, post count can be hidden in UserCP. Anyway, this is why we don't publish how many posts are necessary for a change in title/icon...it's just a silly reward. The post numbers needed for title changes is something that is easy to modify so it gets modified on occasion, when the admins don't have better things occupying their time, merely to maintain the surprise factor. Bottom line: it just a trivial, whimsically amusing little thing. Don't read too much into it...it really isn't worth the slightest emotional involvement. Read the underlined part.

Happy_Man
May 26th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Darn. Off go the mods to shuffle it up.... *sigh* I wondered why a thread like this wasn't there already.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 04:45 AM
On a related note... I OBJECT to the coffee bias/prejudice. Whats wrong with geeks drinking tea? Eh? Must... have.... tea.... *runs to case of nestea and gets a new can* TEA!!!!!

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 04:46 AM
There actually is one already:
The Forum Cups and Posts Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=134608&highlight=cups+ubuntu+beans)

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 04:50 AM
There actually is one already:
The Forum Cups and Posts Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=134608&highlight=cups+ubuntu+beans)

*scratches head* Already is one? Were you referring to my request for tea images? *compulsively drinks from tea at mention of word and thinking it*I didn't see anything tea related on that page... am I going blind? *feels sad cuz its coming on young*

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Here we go with more of that "Linux Elitism" folks always talk about...(LOL!)

aysiu
May 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I was responding to
I wondered why a thread like this wasn't there already.

Happy_Man
May 26th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I was responding to...

Ah, but then you guys changed it. The thread says so. So now, there must be an updated one. Ha! I win!

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I was responding to

Awwwwwwwww, one day I will get tea leaves, I know I will. :D

FuturePilot
June 2nd, 2007, 06:52 AM
Ooo! Look! My coffee cup came back to me!
It ran away a while ago
:lolflag:

Rocket2DMn
June 4th, 2007, 03:49 AM
On a related note... I OBJECT to the coffee bias/prejudice. Whats wrong with geeks drinking tea? Eh? Must... have.... tea.... *runs to case of nestea and gets a new can* TEA!!!!!

I would have to agree on the tea. tea >> coffee. Coming from a comp sci and comp engineering college student, that's gotta be worth something!

carolinason
June 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
T U S A - Masters of Reality

Now this is serious! if theres one thing in this country that really bothers me
Is the inability of yanks to make a good cup of tea
Instructions are printed on the teabag
But either they cant read
Or they think its a gag

Pour boiling water over the tea
How simple and clear can the instructions be?

They bring you a cup with a lemon slice
And an unopened tea bag beside it (how nice)
And a pot of water and it may be hot
But boiling it isnt so tea you have not

Why cant we
Get our tea
We need tea
To set us free

Its boiling water that brings out teas flavor
With a dash of milk youve a real brew to savor
They drink luke brown water that looks like gnat pee
And its got nothing to do with a good cup of tea

How simple and clear
Can the instructions be?

Tundro Walker
June 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM
You've got this all wrong. Ubuntu bean counts are much like Calvin-Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes#Calvinball) or Dragon Poker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Poker).

If you post 1-14 posts, you get "Green Beans", unless you posted your 13th post on a Tuesday, which will escalate you up to the 100-200 rank.

However, if you take the square-root of your birthday, divided by Pi, and you posted that many posts on that day, then you get an additional 50 bean count and are flagged with an Ubuntu symbol under your bean count.

If you posted from a Mac computer on April 15th, then all your bean counts are doubled, but they don't count towards your bean title.

If you posted from a Library during the month of October, then you're bean count is frozen until such time as you create a Community Cafe forum post saying you've figured out how the forum dictates bean titles.

If your cat spilled tea on your keyboard while you were posting anywhere on the forums between 5am & 6am, then you get to buy a new keyboard. BUT, you get an additional bean just because folks will feel sorry for you. This, however, will be taken away if you follow up with a post showing how cute your cat was while doing so.

Note that all bean counts are also reset daily unless you happen to find a penny face up on the ground, and deposit it in the bank the same day.

...see, it's just that simple. It's not that those other folks have posted so much more than you...it's just that they're damn lucky!

nikoPSK
December 27th, 2007, 06:07 AM
hehe, it's randomish... I have noticed many with the same title and icons as me when previous... there is more than dark roasted. Unfortunately your guide is only 30% or less right. :\