PDA

View Full Version : does anybody remember NC in MS-DOS ?...

medya
May 26th, 2007, 02:05 AM
If you remember the old days of MS-DOS, you would miss Norton Commander file manager. The two blue columns where you'd select files on one side and copy them to the next side, only by pressing F5, no typing any commands !

and guess what! I've found Norton Commander for Ubuntu, it's called Midnight Commander. You may ask why would I use Midnight Commander while we have other grpahical file managers (i.e. Nautilus and Konqueror). Midnight Commander is a semi-graphical file manager, which means it runs under a Terminal window in "text mode" and we all know I am in love with text-mode programs like Image magic (http://blog.shevin.info/2007/05/how-to-add-watermark-to-300-photos-in.html) for editing images in text mode.

(aah I remember DOS days again, at those times I had to run the Mouse program before NC to enable mouse mode . I have such a Nostalgic feeling about MS DOS right now, somebody give me a hug please !)

Read more on Digg (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Norton_Commander_clone_for_Ubuntu)

Tundro Walker
May 26th, 2007, 03:29 AM
LOL!

If I remember right, Midnight Commander is the default file manager in DSL (Damn Small Linux). I almost killed myself trying to figure it out.

If all the cool games weren't on DOS during the 80's / 90's, I probably wouldn't have gotten into computers much. But, they were, so I learned how to navigate around in DOS, and eventually how to open up files to mess with them.

I still use DOS batch files at work to this day (guess I can't call them DOS batch files if I use them in Windows, though...LOL!), but it's such a pain in the butt to code archaic DOS batch files. And while WinScript Host has made some progress, it's still annoying trying to code it unless you have a syntax highlighters.

It's really stupid they don't make MS Notepad a fully fledged programmer's text editor. I mean, Windows lets you use DOS and WSH to automate stuff, but (by default) all you get it this stupid MS Notepad program that doesn't have any intellisense, or syntax highlighting, or line numbering... to try to code your programs with. So, it's trial and error. What a pain.

Wow, I just went from nostalgia to hatred in less than 3.5 paragraphs! Heh, that's kinda the way I've been feeling about Windows lately (I have to use it at work, but don't really like to now that I'm using Ubuntu at home).

medya
May 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM
he he ... yeah me too I started computer with a car game when I was like 5 years old.

I was not allowed to touch computer when I was a kid unless my dad be there , they used to say computer is harmfull for kids , i think monitors were harmfull at that time...

at that time I didnt know english too, I learnt English alphabet so I can type
D:
CD Car
carega.com

I remember I tried to copy what my father does ... I learn to type all the keys except ":"
and I took me many days to figure out I should press Shift + : h
ha ha ...so I learnt playing car game whithout my father .
and I played it all the itme when my parents were away (as most forbiden rule thing which I could break at that time in my age)

do you remember games at that time had several exe files
carcga.com
carega.com
carvga.com

each one was for a specfic graphic mode... I missed those days

ah too much nostalogy !

medya
May 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
by the way , can we use MC like a ftp manager (like gFTP) ?
for example copy files from hard disk to website on internet ?
if you know please tell me

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I still have Norton Commander.... :lol:

medya
June 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I still have Norton Commander.... :lol:

on ms dos ? or in command prompt ?

Chilli Bob
June 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM
I never used Norton Commander, but I loved PC-tools and X-tree Gold. I might give MC a go for old time's sake.

yabbadabbadont
June 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
on ms dos ? or in command prompt ?

DOS 6.22 on an old Packard Bell 486. I don't use it much any more as DosBox works fine.

matthinckley
June 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Ms-dos Rocks

EDIT: neat how the forums uncapitalized my post!

jgrabham
June 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
I can remember lemmings (still got the CD somewhere). I remember I had to get one of my sisters to start it. (well who expects a three year old to be able to spell lemmings? I could open things in windows (3.11) alright though! I can vaguely rmember a list of passwords stuck to the wall. :)

matthinckley
June 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
I can remember lemmings (still got the CD somewhere). I remember I had to get one of my sisters to start it. (well who expects a three year old to be able to spell lemmings? I could open things in windows (3.11) alright though! I can vaguely rmember a list of passwords stuck to the wall. :)
Lemmings Rocked too!

medya
June 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
what did lemmings do ? was it a game or something ?

matthinckley
June 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
what did lemmings do ? was it a game or something ?
Yes.. fun game.. there is a web version here: http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/

medya
June 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
matthinckley's , I see this in your signature

C:\> DEL *.* /S

as I remember /s do nothing in Del command , /s was for format !
I think u better change your signature to
format c: /q /s

it was one of my favorite commands whnever my windows ****** up 1

matthinckley
June 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM

/s in DOS included subfolders.. much like -r in linux

medya
June 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
hm..are you sure ?

matthinckley
June 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
pretty sure.. you could always find a buddies dos box and try it.. lol j/k don't do that :)

medya
June 1st, 2007, 11:58 PM
sorry I hadn't looked at ur attachment... :) wink

yabbadabbadont
June 2nd, 2007, 12:58 AM

You forgot to include the undocumented "/autotest" option in your format command. :twisted:

BoyOfDestiny
June 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Yes.. fun game.. there is a web version here: http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/

Nothing beats the original (or was the amiga version first? Well whatever the DOS version was the first I saw of lemmings.)
I can't play lemmings happily without adlib sound ;)

I still have the box and disk for the game, fit on one 5.25" floppy

And yes /s is for subdirectories, and /a for hidden files if memory serves...

P.S. I'm curious what old car game the nostalgic poster used to play (I tried googling...) It wasn't test drive? That's the only one I can remember...

medya
June 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
oh boy 5.25" floppies ... I missed them...you could easily shape them by hand ... (dont know the english word ) and they got easily damaged.... poor 5.25"... by the way were they called flloppies too?

BoyOfDestiny
June 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
oh boy 5.25" floppies ... I missed them...you could easily shape them by hand ... (dont know the english word ) and they got easily damaged.... poor 5.25"... by the way were they called flloppies too?

Yup, they are literally floppy. I still have stacks of the things, but no more 5.25 floppy drives.
Remember using pieces of tape to make a disk writeable (if it had that gap punched out?) I'm happy to say though that most of my games run flawlessly in dosbox.

It is nice to play many games again that hadn't worked on a computer natively (usually timing issues, or lack of sound for a start) for over a decade...

northicert
June 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
AND while we are going down the lane.... Do you remeber one sided 5.25 floppies. 360 kb

Chilli Bob
June 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
I remember using a razor blade to cut another notch in 5.25" floppies (on the opposite side to the write protect notch) to turn single sided floppies into double sided floppies.

Speaking of which, how long has it been since I've seen one of those old timey razor blades?? I'm getting old!:-k

NumberOne
June 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
I liked Norton Commander for DOS, when windows came about I found a file manager with a GUI that went alot further than NC. For windows its called TotalCommander. Google it, it has a ton of features. For Ubuntu, I use Krusader, it to is a great GUI file manager.

medya
June 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I remmeber doing some tricks to add a few killo bytes to the size of the floppies....

yabbadabbadont
June 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
I remember using a razor blade to cut another notch in 5.25" floppies (on the opposite side to the write protect notch) to turn single sided floppies into double sided floppies.

Speaking of which, how long has it been since I've seen one of those old timey razor blades?? I'm getting old!:-k

You would have also needed to have used a hole punch to create a new locater hole. ;)

yabbadabbadont
June 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
AND while we are going down the lane.... Do you remeber one sided 5.25 floppies. 360 kb

Better yet, I remember single sided 180kb floppies. (360's were low density, double sided) ;)

prizrak
June 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
Yeah I remember it. I even used to keep MC installed on my Ubuntu box with older versions, just in case it crashed to console so that I wouldn't have to deal with doing "ls" and stuff.

Chilli Bob
June 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
You would have also needed to have used a hole punch to create a new locater whole. ;)

No, can't remember doing that, but it was a LONG time ago.