PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin - Ready for install?

wie6Ein0
May 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hello!

I read a comment from someone who said that I'd be better off using GAIM for a while longer before upgrading to Pidgin. He said that Pidgin was still "buggy".

Is his comment correct, or is he just confused? I need to know whether I should wait to install Pidgin.

P.S. -- How do I install Pidgin? I followed the instructions on the website, but I failed to make it work. yum install pidgin

igknighted
May 26th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Hello!

I read a comment from someone who said that I'd be better off using GAIM for a while longer before upgrading to Pidgin. He said that Pidgin was still "buggy".

Is his comment correct, or is he just confused? I need to know whether I should wait to install Pidgin.

P.S. -- How do I install Pidgin? I followed the instructions on the website, but I failed to make it work. yum install pidgin

Yum is the Fedora equivalent of "apt-get", so those directions will not work on Ubuntu. The best way is to remove Gaim and install Pidgin from source, however there is also a .deb around somewhere if you can find it.

EDIT: It's not buggy. In fact, it is the final version of the 2.0 beta6 included with Ubuntu.

amphet
May 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM
version 2.0.1 has been released, according to their website:

"We've released version 2.0.1 of Pidgin (formally Gaim). This is a bugfix release addressing over 100 bugs reported in 2.0.0. Keep those bugs coming in, and we'll continue making regular, frequent releases."

Downloading right now :D

Polygon
May 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Honestly, pidgin is basicaly GAIM 2.0.0 beta 7 or 8, it just has a different name

they have had 2.0.0 in beta for the longest time, and its only in the last two beta that they actually updated the name. I have been using pidgin ever since it came out and it is perfectly stable and fast, i have never had a crash or any other problems with it so far. I think your safe to upgrade

jcconnor
May 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I use it on both my Linux and Windows XP system and it works fine - haven't noticed any bugs - but will probably upgrade this weekend.

John

j.miller565
May 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Can it run on OpenSUSE?

Quillz
May 26th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I disagree with your friend. Pidgin 2 is plenty stable for me on both Windows and Linux.

Also, 2.0.1 was released today, fixing over 100 reported bugs, so now it's even more stable, especially compared to the Gaim 2 beta releases.

Quillz
May 26th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Can it run on OpenSUSE?
It should, I believe the dev team even provides a RPM.

Trizik
May 26th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Yep, Pidgin is also very stable for me too on Windows and Ubuntu. And file transfers work fine now, unlike Gaim.

j.miller565
May 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
It should, I believe the dev team even provides a RPM.

That's sweet. Thanks Quillz