PDA

View Full Version : Which country uses Linux the most?

the lemming
May 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm from the UK and I've only heard about the world of Linux in the last month.

Now that the French Government have embraced ubuntu does that make them the big players in the Linux world?

earobinson
May 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Im pretty sure Brazil is up there.

aysiu
May 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
It probably makes them big players. I think China might be up there, too.

earobinson
May 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
It probably makes them big players. I think China might be up there, too.
ya China has there own goverment branded linux correct? And I would say that makes the french a huge player cuz when other goverments see this I hope linux will spread like wild fire.

jgrabham
May 25th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Now that the French Government have embraced ubuntu does that make them the big players in the Linux world?

I'm English and heard about linux from various computer magazines.

And why dos it say "linux" is spelled wrong.

madmetal
May 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
finland ;) also germany..

DoctorMO
May 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
For some reason the UK seems to be the worse place of open source software. I'm not sure if this is because of the rather over controlling government, the lack of home grown software industry, the propensity for hiring really stupid people in IT, the lack of education and establishments that can teach IT to a high enough degree or just that us brits are thick when it comes to be socially responsible people.

I'd vote for thick and uneducated every time.

Although some interesting people have come out of the UK in the FLOSS world we have just a horrible record in paying attention to grass roots movements... lets be honest we're not the revolutionary or stand up for your rights kind of place and I don't think we ever will be until we've been well and truly subjugated.

madmetal
May 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM
DoctorMO Greece is worst place for open source than UK for sure..

mills
May 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM

yeah i think the uk is pretty bad when it comes to Linux which is strange when you think canonical is based in London
I'd only heard of Linux about a week b4 i installed ubuntu (see join date)

as for the big players, dunno (shrugs)

ubuntu-freak
January 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm a bit late in posting but nevermind.

It's amazing how many Brits slate their own countrymen in these forums. If we didn't care about movements and people then we wouldn't donate more to charity than any other country.

I thinks it's just hard to convert people to the cause in general. I can't believe how obsessed so many are with MSN Messenger or even iTunes. Is that really a reason to stick with Windows?

Nathan

angryfirelord
January 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Pretty much everywhere except the US. :roll:

lightstream
January 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM

It's amazing how many Brits slate their own countrymen in these forums.

God yes, you're right! The British must be the worst people in the whole world for slagging ourselves off! It's as if we're so useless we don't have anything good to say about ourselves. We suck!

Seriously though, in England I do think there is a big inertia against Linux, with people way too quick to swallow the steaming lies that plop out of Gates and Jobs' orifices.

And that vanity of having more money than sense doesn't help (this is the country that devised the ad slogan your screenname is based on don't forget).

Birmingham came close to installing Ubuntu on all the city's libraries last year; apparently they chickened out because they were concerned the systems wouldn't be compatible with many of Joe Public's flash drives. (although there was a rumour that MS slipped them a large bung in the form of heavily discounted licenses)

Xbehave
February 1st, 2008, 12:00 AM
i think its Finland,
from unrelaibale guestimate http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-August/002759.html

1 FO Faroe Islands 50 0 20 1140.1 0.0
2 AQ Antarctica 3 0 3 729.0 0.0
3 TK Tokelau 1 0 0 674.8 0.0
4 IS Iceland 177 1 150 654.8 0.3
5 FI Finland 3128 21 3149 612.7 5.1
27 IE Ireland 597 1 435 167.4 3.6
28 CA Canada 4566 19 4780 158.4 28.8
29 AU Australia 2492 18 2768 136.5 18.3
30 ES Spain

its Iceland then finland
why FO is so high i dont know, AQ and IS are due to all the scientists & TK must be because of the webhosting.
a few i missed were:

17 NZ New Zealand
north europe 6 Norway 7 Denmark 11 Sweden
europe: 13 LU Luxembourg 16 NL Netherlands
eastern europe 8 EE Estonia 15 SI Slovenia 18 HU Hungary
english: 9 FK Falkland Islands (Islas Malv 14 GI Gibraltar
my geog sucks what are these: 12 SH Saint Helena 10 SJ Svalbard and Jan Mayen

conehead77
February 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
i think its Finland,
from unrelaibale guestimate http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-August/002759.html

its Iceland then finland
why FO is so high i dont know, AQ and IS are due to all the scientists & TK must be because of the webhosting.
a few i missed were:

17 NZ New Zealand
north europe 6 Norway 7 Denmark 11 Sweden
europe: 13 LU Luxembourg 16 NL Netherlands
eastern europe 8 EE Estonia 15 SI Slovenia 18 HU Hungary
english: 9 FK Falkland Islands (Islas Malv 14 GI Gibraltar
my geog sucks what are these: 12 SH Saint Helena 10 SJ Svalbard and Jan Mayen

That list is from Aug 24 2003, maybe a little outdated.
Google trends is also nice to look at:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=linux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Linux:
1. Russia
2. India
3. Taiwan
4. Italy
5. Germany
6. Finland
7. Japan
8. Austria
9. Poland
10. Sweden

Ubuntu:
1. Norway
2. Italy
3. Finland
4. Spain
5. Sweden
6. Portugal
7. France
8. Chile
9. Switzerland
10. Austria

Not very accurate i believe, but still interesting.

kool_kat_os
February 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
what OS does india use the most?

ubuntu-freak
February 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I do like the fact that British courts don't have much time for most software patents, unlike the US government and courts. Clinton was okay, but clueless in that regard.

Nathan

Kingsley
February 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM

By it, do you mean the Firefox spell checker? Linux is supposed to be capitalized so that may be the reason.

I think China is the top country.

ubuntu-freak
February 1st, 2008, 02:09 AM
By it, do you mean the Firefox spell checker? Linux is supposed to be capitalized so that may be the reason.

I think China is the top country.

Yeah, China could revolutionise Linux. Let's hope they share. China didn't mention for decades that they found a cure for some disease.

Nathan

days_of_ruin
February 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM

Huh?Do you mean your web browsers spell-check?
Thats cause linux isn't in the dictionary.

mickbuntu
February 1st, 2008, 02:41 AM
<Breaths in -- Breaths out> Repeat.... I'm angry lol, so may not be the best judgement. But here what i think, I think my Country is the last to get on the bandwagon of linux. My isp let alone, god forbid hears "Linux." SORRY, but we do not support that operating system your on your own. But i like my isp the most, at least thus far it has not setup roadblocks. Unlike some isps totally making it very difficult.

Another thing i'm afraid is (Novell) and Microsoft working together wonder what will happen.To linux as a whole it can't be "purchased" as a whole. As the parts making up "linux" as a platform and not just the kernel are not static. What would happen if Novell was bought out by Microsoft?

I'm on Windows right now though to be exact Windows Vista. I purchased my PC last year with OEM windows. As i built the box myself and tied the license to the motherboard. I use some programs that linux does not even have in the draft yet / or equally as good. But I do have another box nearby to test / use / try as everyday os once in a while / linux related (ubuntu) on. Some programs fall into simulators others are convertors only in windows. Do like the progress however of linux front too and with time assume we ill have fall range of windows apps on linux. I'll use the term "Windows apps" with reservation and soundex. In that, I mean not necessary "Windows Apps" but that do the same job as on windows. "A tool" that does the same thing. I personally am into designing, I modeled my first invention. It took me about 5 or more years to do it. Started in k3d moved to wings3d moved to sketchup. I love the ease of that app, it is close sourced. But the least it would work well on linux as a linux binary. Google bought sketchup hope it does something with it for linux still. Righ now with Wine it works but crippled work.
Anyhow drifted off the main topic, but this something that was on my mind and "Publically can share."

angryfirelord
February 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
What would happen if Novell was bought out by Microsoft?
One less thing to worry about? :)

Novell provides some tools for Linux, but they are not tied to the linux kernel or the gnu tools in any way. If Novell disappeared, then anything that wasn't GPL'd would go away, but I seriously doubt it would affect Linux. Same thing with Ubuntu, if it disappeared, the Linux project would still continue. Microsoft has to realize that it can't use its assimilation strategy on copyleft software.

seshomaru samma
February 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
For all those who said China uses Linux the most I would have to disagree ,sadly.
I live in China and I don't know a single person who uses Linux.
I have never seen Linux anywhere (except on the Asus EEE)
Though some very big companies run their sites on Linux (like baidu) , most Chinese sites seemed to be hosted on win2k3 (remember win2k3 is virtually free here) and ASP is the preferred way to make web pages. We have quite a few ISDN providers who force you to connect via a windows only programme and most popular Chinese internet applications are Windows only (like the hugely successful taobao or qq-online applications)

If the government ever enforces intellectual property rights we might see more Linux in China since very few people can afford legit MS software

hyper_ch
February 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
seshomaru samma

Do you know more about this deal? http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=674

seshomaru samma
February 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
seshomaru samma

Do you know more about this deal? http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=674

I don't. The article is from 2003 though ,isn't it?

Anyway , this is just my impression. I could be wrong.....

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Linux adoption is slowly growing here in the states, mostly for businesses though

hyper_ch
February 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
the article is from then... so I thought they might have started deploying that... 200 mio linux machines in china would be a huge blow to ms.

LightB
February 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
in England I do think there is a big inertia against Linux, with people way too quick to swallow the steaming lies that plop out of Gates and Jobs' orifices.

It's just about the same in the US. I see yuppie wannabes all the time championing their expensive bloatware and little macs.

Actually I wouldn't mind getting a Mac laptop if they weren't such ripoffs if we consider the cost to specs ratio, because you can put linux on them after all.

As far as the topic question, probably in Europe some country or other. Though apparently not UK.

ahmedhelmy007
August 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
according to this statistics:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-IE-monthly-200807-200907-bar

Ireland is the most country uses Linux, then Finland.

Johnsie
August 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I live in Ireland and I never see anyone using Linux... I don't think those figures are correct.

Viva
August 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption#Government

ssam
August 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
some more stats.
http://i18n.counter.li.org/reports/arearank.php
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20031201

cptrohn
August 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Pretty much everywhere except the US. :roll:

Really.. I heard that the US DoD and Nasa use their own Forms of linux, and in Indiana where I live their is currently a project to move all of the public school systems to open source as well.

pt123
August 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
It would be proportional to Firefox usage. As countries with people who are more IT aware, would have had exposure to non 'mainstream' products.

t0p
August 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
One reason why the UK is so backwards in adopting Free software is that the British government is deeply in love with Big Business. When Blair was prime minister he used to invite Bill Gates round to 10 Downing Street for steamy hand-holding sessions. And Gordon Brown is no different. Plus the British government is generally clueless when it comes to IT issues (look at all the contracts it gives to EDS despite that company's terrible track record).

yeah i think the uk is pretty bad when it comes to Linux which is strange when you think canonical is based in London

Is Canonical based in London? Their official HQ is on the Isle of Man (for tax avoidance), and the "About Us" page (http://www.canonical.com/aboutus) on their website claims they employ "200 employees working in 23 countries (and counting)."

hyperdude111
August 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd.

Canonical Ltd is a private company founded (and funded) by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth for the promotion of free software projects. Canonical is registered in the Isle of Man and employs staff around the world, along with its main offices in London, support office in Montreal and OEM team in Lexington, Massachusetts, USA.

Paqman
August 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Is Canonical based in London?

Yep. They're in Millbank Tower, down near the Tate Britain.

calrogman
August 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Lots of zombie threads these days...

sydbat
August 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Lots of zombie threads these days...It's because they like to eat your brains...

RabbitWho
August 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM

It's amazing how many Brits slate their own countrymen in these forums. If we didn't care about movements and people then we wouldn't donate more to charity than any other country.

Where on earth did you
?taht raeh

Wow vista made that came out backwards. Interesting.

Ric_NYC
August 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Brazil is one ot them.

Electronic voting:

"THE BRAZILIAN Electoral Supreme Court announced last Friday that Brazil's 2008 elections will use 430,000 electronic voting machines running GNU/Linux and open source* voting applications.
The voting machines will be migrated from VirtuOS and Microsoft Windows CE to GNU/Linux and open sauce software in order to meet legal requirements for security and auditability."
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1027490/brazil-migrates-voting-machines

ATMs:

"Brazilian banking giant Banco do Brasil this year is preparing to start a massive migration of one of the world's biggest ATM fleets to the GNU/Linux operating system.

"The news is big for the ATM industry, since Brazil is the world's third largest ATM market - trailing only Japan and the United States in its number of placed units.

http://www.greensheet.com/gs_online.php?story_id=786

sydbat
August 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Brazil is one ot them.

Electronic voting:

"THE BRAZILIAN Electoral Supreme Court announced last Friday that Brazil's 2008 elections will use 430,000 electronic voting machines running GNU/Linux and open sauce voting applications.
The voting machines will be migrated from VirtuOS and Microsoft Windows CE to GNU/Linux and open sauce software in order to meet legal requirements for security and auditability."
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1027490/brazil-migrates-voting-machinesMmmm...I LOVE Open Sauce Software...=P~

sydbat
August 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption#GovernmentFarther down in the article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption#Business) are businesses that are switching to Linux. The funniest of these is Novell...

nikhilbhardwaj
August 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM
what OS does india use the most?
the answer is unfortunately microsoft

the government agencies pay millions to get pc's preloaded with microsoft

in the home domain
piracy is rampant and XP is by far the most popular OS here
you wouldn't believe how easy it is to obtain pirated software on the streets

and the anti piracy laws are a joke
which is just as well:P

theicyj
August 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Really.. I heard that the US DoD and Nasa use their own Forms of linux, and in Indiana where I live their is currently a project to move all of the public school systems to open source as well.

I worked on a payload that is currently installed in the ISS, through a university and in conjunction with NASA. Almost every computer I saw, on two separate visits to MSFC ran Windows 2000 (several in the labs had XP, none had linux). Our flight laptop included with our ISS payload also was required to run Windows 2000, as that is the OS installed on all US laptops aboard the ISS. That was only a year and a half ago, I doubt much has changed since then...

madjr
August 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I worked on a payload that is currently installed in the ISS, through a university and in conjunction with NASA. Almost every computer I saw, on two separate visits to MSFC ran Windows 2000 (several in the labs had XP, none had linux). Our flight laptop included with our ISS payload also was required to run Windows 2000, as that is the OS installed on all US laptops aboard the ISS. That was only a year and a half ago, I doubt much has changed since then...

i figured no public institution in the USA would use linux..

capitalism first, standards/freedom last..

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
RiceMonstistan has a solid amount of Linux users

cascade9
August 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
ya China has there own goverment branded linux correct? And I would say that makes the french a huge player cuz when other goverments see this I hope linux will spread like wild fire.

Yes, there is a chinese linix, red flag-

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redflag

For all those who said China uses Linux the most I would have to disagree ,sadly.
I live in China and I don't know a single person who uses Linux.
I have never seen Linux anywhere (except on the Asus EEE)
Though some very big companies run their sites on Linux (like baidu) , most Chinese sites seemed to be hosted on win2k3 (remember win2k3 is virtually free here) and ASP is the preferred way to make web pages. We have quite a few ISDN providers who force you to connect via a windows only programme and most popular Chinese internet applications are Windows only (like the hugely successful taobao or qq-online applications)

If the government ever enforces intellectual property rights we might see more Linux in China since very few people can afford legit MS software

AFAIK, the chinese government was pushing linux far more a few years ago, but that stoped about 2006 IIRC.The government of china and microsoft are pretty fine with 'piracy' in china now, for different reason. microsft doesnt want a huge poplation base moving to linux (especially seeing how much PC gear is manufactured in china), that would just hurt them long-term. china like the extra control they get from microsoft doing what they want (yahoo and google are playing along as well)-

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/china/article721120.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4088702.stm

There even a view that Red Flag existed just for leverage with microsoft-

[QUOTEHowever, Red Flag Linux has turned out to be little more than a key bargaining chip in a high stakes game of commerce between the Chinese government and the world’s largest software maker.[/quote]

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=525

BTW, I've seen a few chinese linux users complain bitterly about chinese character support with a lot of the bigger distros.

LowSky
August 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
the US Army just signed a deal to use MS Windows Vista on all Army computers by Dec 31, 2009. Kinda funny that Windows 7 will be out before the deadline, and they will be running on old software.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/22/2228245

ahmedhelmy007
August 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I live in Ireland and I never see anyone using Linux... I don't think those figures are correct.

because the percentage of people using Linux in Ireland is 2.78% , and this is the greatest ratio in the world !

gripen
April 26th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Its piracy that keeps Windows the most popular OS in countries like China and India

Its hard to believe that some Chinese or Indian guy would pay $100 for a single Windows licence.

When I used to live in Sri Lanka you could buy a Windows 7 Ultimate disc for just $1 on the street.\\:D/
I think the same applies to India and China.

If the government decides to crack down on piracy, we will be able to see lots of people switching to linux becuase they can't afford the real Windows

lancest
April 26th, 2011, 06:22 AM
e

Agree. Gotta be a myth.
Chinese are big time Windows lovers, often absolutely hooked on QQ Windows chat software.
Apple dealers are making small inroads, but not much Linux except Android on smartphones, MP4 players, GPS devices etc.