PDA

View Full Version : Dell/ubuntu discount Code (save $350)

panzer77
May 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Dell Home Loaded Dimension E520N Ubuntu Desktop 22in LCD 2GB/250 $659 shipped free, May. 25 7 AM

New. Dell Home has this Dimension E521 Desktop Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8Ghz 2GB/250GB, DVD writer, 22in LCD, 1yr warranty, Ubuntu Desktop Edition 7.04 $1009 - $350 off coupon = $659 shipped free.

Select 22in LCD, 2GB, DVD Writer. Apply $350 off $999+ Dell coupon
code: $4?HW9L1NB4VTT Exp 5/31 6am CST or after 4,000 redemptions

4% off when checking out using Dell Preferred account. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.

wormser
May 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
They finally have Ubuntu systems!!!

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

luvdemheels
May 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Nevermind, I wasn't thinking it through.

hessiess
May 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
a step towords seeing linux in a regular pc store!

wormser
May 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Be careful...I am beginning to think it is a rip off. I priced the same Exact machine side by side and the ubuntu machine was only $40 less than a vista one. NO WAY that should be!!

I am sure M$ gives them a huge discount and maybe Dell only pays $40 per copy of windows. But you are right because Dell also adds some profit to the end user.

TheTruth34
May 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I think its about choice more than it is about price.

bcmiller
May 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I agree, it's nice to save $50 bucks and if you think Ubuntu is more valuable than Windows you should be happy with the discount... but...

It's more about getting the driver and hardware support that now only supports Windows. I am sooo glad Dell had the Ubuntu Advert on the main front page. I was sure this would be buried like thier no OS models. This is a great day and a wonderful step forward for Ubuntu and GNU/Linux.

Please don't poo poo it because you wanted a $200 discount... that's just not practical.

dca
May 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hmmm, makes sense I guess. Vista Basic at the store is $99 boxed so guaging volume license discounts $40 sounds about right. Not to mention, I'd rather pay less than that for SLED10 than Vista....

Almumin
May 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I will tell you this....I purchased a DELL and spent 1000 happy bucks doing so. I have a bunch of PC's and Windows OS software. I never had the problems with Ubuntu that I have with freaking Vista. We have to stop kicking around complaints because it costs a couple of bucks. It is business. Everything can't be free. ;) I haven't purchased a store brand PC in years. I just rebuild and buy parts as need be. DELL has got some customers coming...they better be aware! :popcorn::KS:D

forrestcupp
May 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Dell more than likely spends less than $40 on their OEM's of Windows. Anyway, that's just the one computer. Other computer comparisons are around $80 cheaper.

luvdemheels
May 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Good points all. I hadn't thought of it that way. I am Very happy to see them with the ubuntu systems. I just wish I didn't purchase a new laptop back in Dec. Now I want one of these.

igknighted
May 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Be careful...I am beginning to think it is a rip off. I priced the same Exact machine side by side and the ubuntu machine was only $40 less than a vista one. NO WAY that should be!!

40$ less? Thats shocking... I really would have guessed that Ubuntu would be MORE than windows. Why? Cost. Windows probably costs Dell about 25/30 dollars per copy. The AOL and all those other companies pay Dell $X.xx to put their software on each computer. So each windows copy could conceivably profit for Dell. Ubuntu is simply free. Even if Dell does pay a few dollars per windows copy, the risk associated with offering Ubuntu needs to be passed on to consumers in the form a price raise (see econ 101 for more on that). So the fact that Ubuntu is $40 less is stunning to me.

aysiu
May 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
What's this only $40 less business? Less is less. Why would you want to pay more to get an operating system you don't want?

stmiller
May 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I don't care if they cost the same! It's Linux being sold on Dell machines. A big retailer if not the biggest. This is good news for Linux.

Wesseli
May 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hi,

There is no question when I will buy new computer for my dad (if the good ol' crank will break) I will prefer Dell. They changed their attitude and hopefully it will mean also better hardware support on other Dell products. Well actually I am using a Dell Latitude D510 laptop, which works perfectly especially with ubuntu 7.04. Wireless and all that. Maybe my good experiences with Dell will be also benefit my dad :D and we will together carry our (small) bucket of coins to Dell's shop :D