PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to firefox?

Paul820
May 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Can anyone recommend an alternative to firefox? It keeps crashing when i view sites with flash movies and most things with flash. I keep having to kill it.

helliewm
May 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Do you have the Flash plug installed? It may be worth uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Helen

RealG187
May 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
FF is da bomb!!

Its hard to get flash, expesially when not admin, just use manual install at home, I am lucky for have FF portable with flash!

Paul820
May 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Do you have the Flash plug installed? It may be worth uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Helen

Yes, that seems to have done it. I got the player from synaptic, but this time i opened a site that requires flash and downloaded the plugin that way. Thanks!

brim4brim
May 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Try Opera anyway, you might prefer it. There are loads that use the Firefox rendering enging (geko I think its called or something like th at) in add/remove applications too.

sunexplodes
May 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I've been using Epiphany for a week or so now (in the repos as epiphany-browser, not just epiphany which is a game of some kind), and I think it's great. Obviously it has much fewer extensions to choose from, but it has AdBlock + Filterset.G by default, and it's speedy as hell, and is compatible with firefox plugins like flash and mplayer.

fuscia
May 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
i like konqueror.

juxtaposed
May 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Opera; it saves tabs by default, doesn't scroll when there are alot of tabs, and is fast.

starcraft.man
May 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
There are NO ALTERNATIVES to Firefox, they have taken over OSS. All your bases belong to mozilla :p

Seriously though, I've tried konqueror (never liked its integration as a file manager) and opera (just didn't support all my plugins) and I just can't get away from firefox, its themes and extension support is just too good, I admit its not always the fastest, but you can't get everything and I prefer a slightly slower browser with most bang.

As for your crashing, reinstall flash and firefox, it must be something you did. I have never crashed on a flash vid.

Brunellus
May 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I like kazehakase.

munkyeetr
May 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I started using Swiftfox (in the repositories), which is a Firefox built specifically for your processor type. When I found FF was getting sluggish, I switched and noticed a difference right away.

argie
May 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
i like konqueror.

Seconded, konqueror is wonderful. kioslaves are a god-send.

Flash problems are flash problems though. Try deleting the flash plugin (somewhere in ~/.mozilla ?) and reinstalling. Good luck.

CarpKing
May 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
(in the repos as epiphany-browser, not just epiphany which is a game of some kind)

Haha that's fooled me twice now.

Epiphany is nice, though I wish they'd get the full spellchecker (with suggested corrections) implemented. Galeon has more features but is kind of clunky, though it does seem to be the only GTK browser that shows any type of preview in the file browser.

Paul820
May 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
It's working fine now. I did try opera, but i am so used to firefox now. I have always used it so using something else for browsing without all the features of firefox is like there is something missing, it's not complete. If you know what i mean :p And the plugins, so many to choose from. Anyway i just uninstalled flashplayer and reinstalled it again, worked fine after that.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM
It's working fine now. I did try opera, but i am so used to firefox now. I have always used it so using something else for browsing without all the features of firefox is like there is something missing, it's not complete. If you know what i mean :p And the plugins, so many to choose from. Anyway i just uninstalled flashplayer and reinstalled it again, worked fine after that.

*high 5's paul* Good man, firefox all the way, and I most certainly do know what you mean :).

Onyros
May 26th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I like kazehakase.I really wish I did...

Two quirks I have with Kazehakase:

a) I can't open a new tab by clicking with the RMB on another tab (and then selecting "New tab");

b) There doesn't seem to be a easy way to erase cookies, password, history and whatnot automatically.

Then again, if Epiphany did these two simple little things I'd use it instead, too.

RealG187
May 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, KDE comes w/ Konqueror.

I wanna get Firefox in Kubuntu 7.04, how can I do this, can I just put in my Ubuntu [normal] 7.04 CD isn and find the firefox deb file and run it?

sunexplodes
May 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Haha that's fooled me twice now.

Epiphany is nice, though I wish they'd get the full spellchecker (with suggested corrections) implemented. Galeon has more features but is kind of clunky, though it does seem to be the only GTK browser that shows any type of preview in the file browser.

My problem is that I really really like Firefox, I just find it to be pretty slow, even with Swiftfox/Fasterfox, et cetera.

I've only got a few beefs with Epiphany, and they aren't big ones:

1) I'd like the bookmarks to a) sort in the menu by when i added them, not alphebetically, b) show up in the sidebar.

2) I wish I could configure it to always open new windows in new tabs, but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Aside from those beefs, and missing a couple firefox extensions (stumbleupon! imagezoom!), it's pretty awesome.

starcraft.man
May 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Yeah, KDE comes w/ Konqueror.

I wanna get Firefox in Kubuntu 7.04, how can I do this, can I just put in my Ubuntu [normal] 7.04 CD isn and find the firefox deb file and run it?

sudo aptitude install firefox

In your terminal, its that easy >.>. You can then make it your default browser if you want. Its no different then when its in gnome/Ubuntu.

mrgnash
May 26th, 2007, 03:15 AM

I'm in the same boat. Every now and then, Firefox will cheese me off for some reason and II'll make a mad dash to one of the other browsers instead... but my estrangement with the Fox never lasts long, because there's always a feature I miss or whatnot. By no means am I an FF fanboy, but for me there just isn't a viable alternative at the moment -- I hope that some days there is, or at least that FF continues to get even better in the future :P

slasherx2
May 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I use Opera as my main browser, but for an FF alternative try Swiftfox, it's pretty good for speed and stuff... Only thing it's missing are mouse gestures, though I could get a plugin but I can't be arsed.

sunexplodes
May 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM
By no means am I an FF fanboy, but for me there just isn't a viable alternative at the moment -- I hope that some days there is, or at least that FF continues to get even better in the future :P

It's not looking good. Most of the early reports indicate that Firefox 3 is getting slower and more bloated. I don't get why they're adding so many features to the main binary, when they should just keep the browser really slim and lightweight, then develop optional extensions, like they did with xforms in Firefox 2.

This is why I use Epiphany.

Altarbo
May 26th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi,

I use Links a lot. It is a text only browser; it doesn't render images, most scripts, and most presentational elements (font size, etc.) Links chokes on many poorly designed web sites, and I still use Firefox/IE/Opera for those.

The things I like about Links are the control and the speed. I'm not worried about what pages are running in the background, because they aren't running anything. If I want to download something, I'll choose to download it. It's also far faster than other browsers.

-altarbo

RealG187
May 27th, 2007, 01:53 AM
sudo aptitude install firefox

In your terminal, its that easy >.>. You can then make it your default browser if you want. Its no different then when its in gnome/Ubuntu.

I would prefer to use a DEB file, as I state Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408088)...

DJ Wings
May 27th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Does anyone have a browser that's:
-GTK-based
-supports plugins such as Flash
-GPLed?
I just want to find a smaller browser than FFX for my old laptop. Removing some extensions helped, but I can do better (I hope).

mrgnash
May 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM
It's not looking good. Most of the early reports indicate that Firefox 3 is getting slower and more bloated. I don't get why they're adding so many features to the main binary, when they should just keep the browser really slim and lightweight, then develop optional extensions, like they did with xforms in Firefox 2.

This is why I use Epiphany.

Having tested Firefox 3 extensively myself, I'd have to disagree. I use Deer Park Alpha 4 as my primary browser now and I find it plenty fast.

hanzomon4
May 27th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I can only use opera in kde, it simply will not cooperate with streaming media plug-ins.

mips
May 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
This seems to be a distro specific issue.

I had the same problems in Kubuntu with firefox. In Sabayon I do not experience these problems.

Why is that ?

no1wantdthisname
May 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Here's a workaround. Leave a separate window open on a page with flash. I just use youtube.

The freezing seems to occur when you close or navigate away from the last page with flash. The plugin crashes and firefox freezes. So it should be fine as long as you have at least one instance of flash open.

This might work with a tab instead, although I haven't really tested using a tab. I actually read about this workaround somewhere, but I can't find the link at the moment.

plb
May 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Konqueror or Opera....both are great and unlike Firefox, Konq devs actually care about the opensource community :D

dodgePT
May 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
BTW, this non-transparent flash problem, is it just a FF problem or all browsers act like that at the moment?

RealG187
May 28th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Konqueror or Opera....both are great and unlike Firefox, Konq devs actually care about the opensource community :D

Firefox is the best open source browser, no the best browser ever. Its the best even when u include non open source and open source!

sunexplodes
May 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Having tested Firefox 3 extensively myself, I'd have to disagree. I use Deer Park Alpha 4 as my primary browser now and I find it plenty fast.

Is it significantly faster than Firefox 2? Because if not, it still needs serious work.

Ateo
May 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I've been using firefox for years but all of a sudden, I'm really starting to like Konqueror.

So I guess I'm biased when I suggest Konqueror as an alternative.

FuturePilot
May 28th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Every so often Flash content will freeze Firefox for me. Very annoying:icon_frown:
I'm using the Mozilla version I downloaded from their site running on Dapper. I can't go back to 1.5 because none of my extensions that I use are compatible with 1.5 anymore.

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Can anyone recommend an alternative to firefox? It keeps crashing when i view sites with flash movies and most things with flash. I keep having to kill it.
Opera/9.21 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)

DougieFresh4U
May 29th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I was a Swiftfox user, but now I have been playing around with Swiftweasel. Seems to work nicely for me. Both are quicker than Firefox for me.

hanzomon4
May 29th, 2007, 04:20 AM
To all of you opera users, How do you watch streaming media?

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2007, 04:22 AM
To all of you opera users, How do you watch streaming media?I am not sure what you mean? like YouTube?

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Maybe he's talking about Mplayer? I can never get MPlayer working in Opera. All I get is a blank white box where the video should be.

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Maybe he's talking about Mplayer? I can never get MPlayer working in Opera. All I get is a blank white box where the video should be.
could you post an example link that may pose problems?

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2007, 05:15 AM
This is just a random example, but it happens anytime the MPlayer plugin is called to play a video.
http://media.putfile.com/Bazzaned

tehkain
May 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Epiphany!

If epiphany had more decent addons, keyword search, and an addon, and spelling suggestions it would be my dream browser.

Epiphany seems to go be going where firefox was and should still be. It is lightweight and relies on optional extensions for non essential features. Firefox should be simple and fast unless you want it other wise. This is what firefox was but more and more each day it bloads up.

Now all we need to do is get those few things into epiphany and we are golden! Also you gotta love a gtk interface.

sunexplodes
May 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Epiphany DOES have keyword search. The addressbar doubles as a search bar.

Sunflower1970
May 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Is it significantly faster than Firefox 2? Because if not, it still needs serious work.

I've been using FF3alpha4 (Gran Paradisio) and have found it to be faster than FF2.0.0.3. I just downloaded FF3alpha5 (Minefield) and that seems to be even a bit faster than alpha4. It has a few quirks here and there, but I think it'll be a huge improvement over FF2 when it's officially out.

gigaferz
May 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Try flock

unzip it to /opt

then copy the plugins from firefox.

The speed is AWESOME, period the processor will not notice flock, (firefox was acting up)

It is a really small download, light and powerful (wow)

awakatanka
May 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Try flock

unzip it to /opt

then copy the plugins from firefox.

The speed is AWESOME, period the processor will not notice flock, (firefox was acting up)

It is a really small download, light and powerful (wow)

Why do it the hard way when there is a easy way for atleats feisty http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Flock

Love this one to.

hanzomon4
May 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Ditto..

I had some success with the vlc plug-in, it took forever to load the video and you could never tell if it was going to play the video or not. Flash videos like youtube work but thats it.

tehkain
May 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Epiphany DOES have keyword search. The addressbar doubles as a search bar.But thats just for google :(

I want the 'wikipedia pirates' function. Rather then pressing down to get to the engine I want. I like the right click function but sometimes I have nothing to highlight.

Edit: Deskbar has this function therefore I am satisfied but waiting for spelling suggestions.

thisllub
May 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Every so often Flash content will freeze Firefox for me. Very annoying:icon_frown:
I'm using the Mozilla version I downloaded from their site running on Dapper. I can't go back to 1.5 because none of my extensions that I use are compatible with 1.5 anymore.

If you use nswrapper your firefox is condemned to eternal hell.
Better to install firefox32.

RealG187
May 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM
This is just a random example, but it happens anytime the MPlayer plugin is called to play a video.
http://media.putfile.com/Bazzaned

Maybe try a different Plugin, VLC for Windows had a plugin for FF...

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2007, 03:37 AM
If you use nswrapper your firefox is condemned to eternal hell.
Better to install firefox32.

I'm on a 32 bit system.

gigaferz
May 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I didnt know there was a flock for ubuntu, anyway, I also was reading on the linux magazine that is better to install your own browser, for some xx reasons.... http://www.linux-mag.com/ and search for the browser article

anyway that is a lot better!!! thank you!

me1on
May 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Konqueror is my favorite browser. Unless you use some really obscure firefox extensions, Konqueror can do just about everything firefox can, like tabbed browsing, ad blocking, and mouse gestures. It can even do some things firefox can't, like split windows, a built-in universal document reader (very handy for reading .pdf and .doc files), and integration with tons of KDE apps, including a download manager (KGet) and an RSS reader (Akregator). The only things I miss from firefox is live bookmarks and greasemonkey.

junior aspirin
May 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
But thats just for google :(

I want the 'wikipedia pirates' function. Rather then pressing down to get to the engine I want. I like the right click function but sometimes I have nothing to highlight.

Edit: Deskbar has this function therefore I am satisfied but waiting for spelling suggestions.

you want the "smart bookmarks" extension

bookmark a url and stick %s in the url and it will show up.

gregmark
May 31st, 2007, 04:38 PM
This might seem counter-intuitive, but maybe adding the NoScript extenstion could solve our crashing problems. After installing, go into the options and under Advanced>Untrusted select the checkbox for "Forbid Macromedia Flash". This way, Flash will be disabled for all sites you visit, unless you explicitly whitelist or temp-whitelist the site (which is easily done). Any random site you visit with goofy Flash banners and such will be disabled by default.

Not only does this make your browsing experience less cluttered, but it saves you from unexpected or unknown Flash content. Save the Flash for sites you visit often and/or for which flash is required. If nothing else, you'll have a better idea of which tabs were running Flash when you crash.

sunexplodes
June 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
This might seem counter-intuitive, but maybe adding the NoScript extenstion could solve our crashing problems. After installing, go into the options and under Advanced>Untrusted select the checkbox for "Forbid Macromedia Flash". This way, Flash will be disabled for all sites you visit, unless you explicitly whitelist or temp-whitelist the site (which is easily done). Any random site you visit with goofy Flash banners and such will be disabled by default.

Not only does this make your browsing experience less cluttered, but it saves you from unexpected or unknown Flash content. Save the Flash for sites you visit often and/or for which flash is required. If nothing else, you'll have a better idea of which tabs were running Flash when you crash.

An easier way to do this is with the FlashBlock extension, which removes all flash elements and replaces them with a button you can click if you want to use them.

bruce89
June 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
you want the "smart bookmarks" extension

bookmark a url and stick %s in the url and it will show up.

Epiphany does this anyway.

My only gripe about Epiphany is the Gecko rendering engine with its memory-eating habits. Everything else is lovely, especially the bookmarks tagging thing.

gigaferz
June 6th, 2007, 04:18 AM
so, wich browsewr did you end up using?