PDA

View Full Version : Web Design

Richard.Evans
May 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hello,
Ive been using Ubuntu for the past couple of weeks now (switched from windows) but i still cease to find a good similar application to design websites with similar to dreamweaver :(

And as i am abit of a web design freak i would really like to get something similar or even better that peice of adobe software aswell as fireworks, flash, photoshop back on my laptop up and running. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jonne
May 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
For Dreamweaver, the alternative is to just learn to code in a regular text editor (and there's plenty of those on Linux ;) ). The code Dreamweaver produces is crap anyway.

Flash doesn't have a Linux replacement at all (unless you can install it in WINE).

To replace Fireworks and Photoshop, you can try either The Gimp or Krita. both aren't 'as good' as Photoshop, but they're decent. Inkscape can be used for vector drawings.

shen-an-doah
May 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM
If you want a WYSIWYG editor, check out Nvu, or Kompozer (which is basically Nvu but a bit better).

http://www.kompozer.net/

lawentzel
May 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I personally like NVU. Very powerful, easy to use and offers a lot of functionality. Just my two cents. Plus they have a install for Ubuntu. You can get it at: http://www.nvu.com/download/nvu-1.0.ubuntu.5.04.deb

barmazal
May 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
For Dreamweaver, the alternative is to just learn to code in a regular text editor (and there's plenty of those on Linux ;) ). The code Dreamweaver produces is crap anyway.

Flash doesn't have a Linux replacement at all (unless you can install it in WINE).

To replace Fireworks and Photoshop, you can try either The Gimp or Krita. both aren't 'as good' as Photoshop, but they're decent. Inkscape can be used for vector drawings.

Oh yeah. Dreamweaver produce **** code, can i ask which? Do you mean wizards? You have code autocomplete and intellisense which none of Linux apps have if you ignore ease of wizards.

Richard.Evans

Aptana. I may say it even better than Dreamweaver, it doesn't have wizards which i don't use but it has full Javascript support (intellisense/autocomplete) and all the rest from coding point of view good application need. http://aptana.com/ search this forum how to install Aptana on Ubuntu natively.

unfortunately Flash won't work on Linux and there is no alternative for it, you can start using Ajax instead which is sort of advanced Javascript allowing more or less the same stuff. Flash and Javascript are quite similar.

Failed to find good Photoshop alternative but you can use Gimp it can do simple work even for webdesign which is the last suit of it.

Jonne
May 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Well, it's been a while since i used Dreamweaver (I actually prefer Windows' notepad over it), but I'm a web developer (it's my job), and I cringe when i have to convert/maintain/view the source of something created with Dreamweaver (huge javascript functions that start with mm_ that can be replaced with a script that's 5 lines long or even by css entirely, tables, weird css class names, ...).

Now, i'll admit that you can just ignore the whole wysiwyg functionality and the wizards, but even then the app takes ages to load when you start it, so why bother using (and paying for!) that hog. And if Intellisense is what i remember from VS.net, it's just plain annoying and distracting to have that crap pop up all the time.

At work i'm still kinda forced to use Windows, so I use notepad++, which does everything I need (even more, it has autocomplete, but I don't use it because i have no need for it), and it starts up instantly.

On Linux you have multiple options: Scite (which is basicly notepad++ but a little rougher around the edges), Geany, Gedit, Kate, and if you're a hardcore *nix guy there's vi(m) and (x)emacs, if you need more of an IDE guy, you could try Eclipse.

Richard.Evans
May 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM
ThankYou everybody for replying i think im going with NVU :) Loooks very nice indeed, and well no i dont use the wizards myself im more of a coder I just like to have the table and a few other codes to hand.. :D

Thankyou again. Richard

rolando2424
May 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
There is also Quanta Plus:
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/

I've never tried it, but I've heard it was good :D (Perhaps you can give it a try).

shen-an-doah
May 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
ThankYou everybody for replying i think im going with NVU :) Loooks very nice indeed, and well no i dont use the wizards myself im more of a coder I just like to have the table and a few other codes to hand.. :D

Thankyou again. Richard

You might wanna check out Kompozer, as it fixes bugs in Nvu and some other stuff.