PDA

View Full Version : Professional IDEs

Erikina
May 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking of trying software development in Ubuntu, but after being spoiled by Microsoft Visual Studio -- I'd only try it if there is a very high quality IDE available. I've read the sticky, with everyone's favourite IDE -- but that really hasn't helped too much :D

The two must-have features, are robust intellisense and built-in debugging. I'm looking for both an assembly and C++ IDE. And considering how popular Java seems to be, I wouldn't mind giving it a try if there was a fantastic IDE available.

Is there any decent alternatives to Visual Studio, or should I just stick to Windows for all my programming?

samjh
May 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
For C++, KDevelop is a great IDE, as is Anjuta and Code::Blocks. KDevelop is a KDE application, Anjuta is for Gnome, and Code::Blocks is independent. But all three will run on any desktop environment as long as you install the required dependencies.

For Java, Eclipse and Netbeans are the leaders. I prefer Netbeans with its out-of-the-box capabilities, especially the fantastic GUI designer. You can also download the profiler, C/C++ pack, and others very easily from the Netbeans website. Eclipse is also very extensible and more established than Netbeans, but it tends to be a little more complicated to set up with the plugins you want.

ankursethi
May 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Eclipse.

sudo apt-get install eclipse

For C++ support install the CDT (see the Help->Updates menu). For asm support, i found this through Google. It might be available in the repos :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asmplugin/

Balazs_noob
May 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hy
i would say Eclipse or Netbeans for Java
and both can be used for c/c++ with plug-ins...

for Assembly i don't know anything,
i only had to use it for 1 semester at collage :)

jbrown
May 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Long time user of Eclipse for Java development, but will admit it does not compare to Visual Studio in terms of polish. You may want to look at IntelliJ IDE as it has been compared to Visual Studio favorably. It also is one of the few commercial IDE's left on the market and the fact that people are still willing to pay for it, says something.

theDentist
May 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Try wxWidgets using Dialogblocks for the IDE, it is like VS in many ways and is C/C++ ( Well, more like the MFC classes then .NET). Cross platform too. Excellent book with a CD of Dialogblocks attached.

rekahsoft
May 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
For java, no matter what OS definitly use Netbeans. It is superior to eclipse :P

Erikina
May 28th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've taken a look at all the suggested IDEs. To be honest, I'm very disappointed with everyone of them. Unfortunately, none of them really compare to Visual Studio.

I guess I'll just stick with Windows for all my programming and gaming. :D

Again, thanks for the replies.