PDA

View Full Version : What mail alert sound do you use?

fearpi
May 25th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Just curious as to what other people use to alert them to new mail. I recently switched from the Windows XP Notify sound to the earlier Windows 2000 notify sound.

ButteBlues
May 25th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Currently it's a system beep, but I would much prefer some sort of other sound... but Thunderbird doesn't ship with anything that I know of.

Spr0k3t
May 25th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I like to randomize my mail alert

"The mail has like arrive-ed" - Bugs Bunny
"Wheel of morality turn turn turn, tell us the lesson we should learn" - Yakko, Wakko, & Dot
"That'll do, pig" - Mimi from Drew Carey Show (new messags in the inbox with spam filtered)
"(Mr. McKitrick)... after careful consideration I've come to the conclusion that your system sucks" - new email with the word microsoft somewhere

I've got a few others, but that should give you an idea of what I use for mail alerts.

Mateo
May 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM
not sure i understand. When I check my mail I'm checking my mail. I don't need a sound because I'm looking at the monitor.

fearpi
May 25th, 2007, 05:55 AM
But how do you know when to check it? Hence, new mail notification.

Mateo
May 25th, 2007, 05:58 AM
so you just leave your mail client open all the time? i only check mine manually, a couple of times per day.

fearpi
May 25th, 2007, 06:02 AM
so you just leave your mail client open all the time? i only check mine manually, a couple of times per day.

No, I don't. I use a mail notification program - in my case, the aptly named mail-notification (http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/).

reclusivemonkey
May 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
echo "You have new mail" | festival --tts

prizrak
May 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't have a sound instead there is a little e-mail button on the laptop that blinks when new messages arrive :)

beercz
May 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I don't.

I just open my mail client when I want to check for new mail and close it again afterwards.

I don't want to be notified every time I get mail and then stop what I am doing to check it.

I check for my mail on my own terms.

Simple, effective.

Polygon
May 26th, 2007, 01:57 AM
thanks for that mail-notification program, im using it now.

Enalia
May 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I was using some sound that I found in the usr/share/sounds folder ... but MAN that XP sound is actually kinda cool.

MOS95B
May 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM
When I used a mail program (Gmail now, no notifier) I used this I Got Mail, Yay!! (http://www.mos95b.com/bitpim/ringer/I%20got%20Mail.mp3) Still use it for text messages on my phone

fearpi
May 26th, 2007, 04:17 AM
When I used a mail program (Gmail now, no notifier) I used this I Got Mail, Yay!! (http://www.mos95b.com/bitpim/ringer/I%20got%20Mail.mp3) Still use it for text messages on my phone

Haha, I used to have that whole bit on my hard drive. Either Opie & Anthony, or Crank Yankers. Good stuff either way.

jackmc
May 26th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I have a notifier - gnubiff i think? By default, it quacks like a duck. So when I get mail, it quacks :)