PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on Dell. Who will be buying one?

etank
May 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Well Dell has the page (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) up now to allow for the purchase of their hardware with Ubuntu pre-installed. Will you be one of the ones to buy one?

benanzo
May 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'll be buying two Inspiron E1505s within the next week. One for myself and one for my brother. I really want to get a bird's eye view of Dell's commitment to Linux kernel driver development.

Rab22
May 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Looking at the specs, I'm just wondering if you really do get a price break with buying an Ubuntu Dell over a Vista Dell. If not, you might as well purchase the Vista Dell and put Ubuntu on it for free.

Granted, the 'hardware' for the Ubuntu Dell is pre-selected; but I'm sure you could take that into account when purchasing the Vista Dell as well.

jrusso2
May 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM
The way Dell did this I doubt I would buy one. I don't think they will sell many of those junky models.

melancholeric
May 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Looking at the specs, I'm just wondering if you really do get a price break with buying an Ubuntu Dell over a Vista Dell. If not, you might as well purchase the Vista Dell and put Ubuntu on it for free.

Granted, the 'hardware' for the Ubuntu Dell is pre-selected; but I'm sure you could take that into account when purchasing the Vista Dell as well.

The inspiron one with ubuntu is cheaper than with Vista Home Premium, but a bit more expensive than Home Basic.

I forget the other models. I think they were both cheaper than with vista, but I'm not entirely sure.

atoponce
May 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Naturally I'll be buying one. I just need to convince the wife.

X-626
May 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I won't, but that's only because I already have a laptop (which I was actually very lucky to get in the first place). I hope they can sell a lot of those, though.

magicfab
May 25th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I have started a new thread to address Ubuntu+Dell questions. See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2714984

Cheers,

jsizemore
May 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I don't think there is much price break. Would be better to build your own? Now as far as a Laptop that may be a definite possibility.

Koji-Murasame
May 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Here's a link comparing prices between Ubuntu and Vista Dell Machines. (http://www.cs.uml.edu/~ntuck/dellbuntu/)

mybunche
May 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I voted yes but only if they offer it in Australia. No indication of when just yet. Hopefully soon.

I don't think the price is the issue here. What you are doing is buying a PC without windows installed supporting linux ( go Ubuntu!). At this early stage it's the principal that matters. The Windows machines are subsidised, the Ubuntu ones are not. I didn't expect much price difference (if any) and wasn't disappointed.

zenwhen
May 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM
My next computer buy will be a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed.

oskarloko
May 28th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Yes, price is not the REASON.

Becasuse:
- Laptop without Vista = -50$
- Lapton with Ubuntu INSTALED, CONFIGURED and TESTED: priceless

The big news are not price. You can buy a made-yourself laptop cheaper than a branded one
The big news is support, and all the boosting it'll make to Ubuntu and Linux.

PD.

European citizens are human beings too !!
Let's go DELL and System76, we want you HERE !!

sadalmelik57
June 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I don't buy anything expensive without a lot of consideration first, and I don't see much of an advantage in buying an Ubuntu machine with no price break - besides, half the fun and torture of it is to find a way to get things to work! ;) In spite of the strong call for Linux machines (70% of respondents at Dell website said that's what they wanted most as an option on a new machine) I doubt they actually sell many because current windows users will be too scared to try Ubuntu, and linux users will do what they've always done, adapt what they have to what they want.

Zuph
June 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'll probably end up buying one.

angf117
June 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
:(
id never buy another dell but if a pc came with ubuntu id buy it:)

defishguy
June 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Ordered a e1505n on the 20th. I upgraded the screen to wxga+, the ram to 1GB and the batter to a 9 cell. I'll post a review if anyone is interested.

daynah
June 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Can I change my vote? I was so naive then. I've spoken to Dell now. I got an Asus.