PDA

View Full Version : I never saw windows give this kind of help

ICUR2Ys
May 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I was just following the instructions on one of the forums.

I typed the following command.

tom@tom-desktop:~$ xine-config --plugindir
The program 'xine-config' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libxine-dev
bash: xine-config: command not found

This is great! It told me exactly what to key in to install the command. I am new to linux/ubuntu.

Windows never gave me this kind of help when I tried to run something that wasn't installed.

What ever problems are still in ubuntu, it is still getting some things really right.

dace

mostwanted
May 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it is one of the new features of Feisty. I think it's great too, certainly makes the terminal less scary for new users.

Tomosaur
May 25th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I was just following the instructions on one of the forums.

I typed the following command.

tom@tom-desktop:~$ xine-config --plugindir
The program 'xine-config' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libxine-dev
bash: xine-config: command not found

This is great! It told me exactly what to key in to install the command. I am new to linux/ubuntu.

Windows never gave me this kind of help when I tried to run something that wasn't installed.

What ever problems are still in ubuntu, it is still getting some things really right.

dace

It's a new feature in Ubuntu, by popular demand.

The REAL scary thing is that you have the same user name and computer name as me :P

starcraft.man
May 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Ya, Ubuntu does lots of little neat things like that :).

Just a note Dace but uh, is your username your email? Thats really asking to get spammed around here, we have lots of spam bots/spammers trolling the public forums... PM a moderator to get that changed.