PDA

View Full Version : israeltoday.co.il has weird characters in text (which encoding to use?)

hanzj
May 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hello,
I'm reading something on israeltoday.co.il, but I get some weird characters in the text. Please see thumbnail.

I've tried different character encodings in firefox, and the best one seems to be Western (ISO-8895-1), which Auto-detect/Universal detected.

But that still leaves some wierd characters. Help.

mips
May 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Look at the page source to see the actual contents. There are a few funnies. It renders 100% fine in Firefox on Windows.

The secret note said:
Concerning the letter abbreviation of the Messiah’s name, He will lift the people and prove that his word and law are valid.

Thisis I have signed in the month of mercy,
Yitzhak Kaduri

The Hebrew sentence (translated above in bold) with the hidden name of the Messiah reads: Yarim Ha’Am Veyokhiakh Shedvaro Vetorato Omdim
The initials spell the Hebrew name of Jesus, Yehoshua. Yehoshua and Yeshua are eectively the same name, derived from the same Hebrew root of the word “salvation” as documented in Zechariah 6:11 and Ezra 3:2. The same priest writes in Ezra, “Yeshua son of Yozadak” while writing in Zechariah “Yehoshua son of Yohozadak.” The priest adds the holy abbreviation of God’s name, ho, in the father’s name Yozadak and in the name Yeshua.

hanzj
May 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Okay. Thanks for telling me about looking at source code to clear up funny letters. But I still want to know. Which encoding should one choose.

And also, your quote had a funny rectangular character in it.