PDA

View Full Version : The Pink Floyd Thread

Mazza558
May 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Pinkfloyd.jpg

Since there isn't a thread like this and a lot of people like Pink Floyd, why not have a thread about them?

To start with, a blog with most of the Pink Floyd live shows on the web:

http://pinkfloydtv.blogspot.com

...and also a link to the Wikipedia article for the less familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_floyd

So, who else here likes Pink Floyd?

:D

onbongos
May 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
i like early floyd. dsotm is kind of stodgy and boring

notwen
May 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone !

\\:D/

Mazza558
May 24th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'll change the picture to remove bias then :p

Simran
May 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
My only experience of pink floyd was; i went to india ended up getting drunk and singing wish you were here with a load of hippies, i had no idea what the words were so i made them up, but when ever i hear that song i allways think of that moment

Simran

karellen
May 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
a fan here...:)

bonzodog
May 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM
yeah, I love Pink floyd...I have quite a bit of their stuff on CD. Great for late night hacking sessions. :D

PryGuy
May 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Pink Floyd is the best rock band IMHO. Nothing to add.

reclusivemonkey
May 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM

DSOTM is one of the greatest albums ever made.

juxtaposed
May 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Good choice of picture :)

Pink Floyd is amazing.

deadlydeathcone
May 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ehhh, Pink Floyd are generally on the lower end of the late 1960's - 70's scene for me, as I much prefer listening to what those crazy Germans were putting out. Neu!, Can, Harmonia, and Guru Guru were just awesome, not to mention those slightly less insane Canterbury guys like Gong and the Soft Machine. Still, Pink Floyd's earlier work like a Saucer Full of Secrets was certainly groundbreaking stuff, so you may have a point. :p

j.miller565
May 24th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I love Pink Floyd! My favourite song has got to be Money

Mazza558
May 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
A nice guitar solo live, from Division Bell (P.U.L.S.E concert):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpPQNcJkrU

onbongos
May 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
DSOTM is one of the greatest albums ever made.

standard received opinion agrees with you. i'm not a fan

BuffaloX
May 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Early Pink Floyd is awesome, (If the most noisy parts are skipped.) :p
It went downhill after Wish you were here.
I still hear some of the old ones, once in a while.

crimesaucer
May 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
My favorite Pink Floyd ---> Animals

ComplexNumber
May 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM
i like floyd A LOT! but only whilst roger waters was writing the songs. syd barretts songs were pretentious and way out for the sake of being way out. basically, they were crap! david gilmore's songs are bland. in my eyes, there was only 1 pink floyd and that was when roger waters was writing the songs.
anyway, my favourite floyd albums are DSOTM, the wall, atom heart mother, and echoes. my favoutie songs by floyd is comfortably numb, with breathe, great gig in the sky, hey you, another brick in the wall part 2, and the song atom heart mother.

i've heard a number of roger waters stuff as a solo artist, but i could never warm to him having heard him so much in floyd. roger waters as a solo artist is too bland. far too bland.

enlightenment now
May 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Wish You were here.

fdrake
May 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
**************** Dark Side Of The Moon ********************

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Pink Floyd Rules.

Best Album - ANIMALS

karellen
May 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
set the controls for the heart of the sun...;)

argie
May 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
My favourite albums are The Division Bell and The Final Cut and I have the songs on mp3 and on tape cassette. I'm a Roger Waters era fan, not too into Syd Barrett. My dad likes the Syd Barrett ones too, which is kind of weird, cause he's like 50.

Oh, and High Hopes and Sorrow, lovely songs those. Lovely.

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
i
i've heard a number of roger waters stuff as a solo artist, but i could never warm to him having heard him so much in floyd. roger waters as a solo artist is too bland. far too bland.

I agree that "Radio Kaos" and "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" are pretty bland, but "Amused to Death" has to be in the top five albums ever!

Colonel Kilkenny
May 25th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I agree that "Radio Kaos" and "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" are pretty bland, but "Amused to Death" has to be in the top five albums ever!

Have to agree with you. Although I think Radio K.A.O.S. and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking are pretty good albums also. But anyway Amused to death would be one of the best selling rock albums ever if it would say Pink Floyd on the cover instead of Roger Waters. Brilliant album, just like all Pink Floyd albums. On an Island by Gilmour is also very nice solo album.

Personally I love pretty much everything Pink Floyd has done. Although Post-Waters stuff is pretty Gilmourish, someone might even say dull but it has it's moments.

27th of April I was at Globen, Stockholm, Sweden on Roger Waters concert and what a show it was. The best freaking day of my life. That man is a genius. Pure genius.

BTW. Check out nick "isodig" from youtube. Guy does "pretty good" covers of Final Cut.

ComplexNumber
May 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
pros and cons of hitchiking is one of the ones that i listened to and really tried to like. there were another 2 albums(who's names escapes me, but "amused to death" seems to ring a bell), and they were in the same dreary style. i'd made up my mind after that.

afljafa
May 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
As a youngster I would send myself off to sleep without fail listening to The Wall. I knew every note and every word of that album start to finish.

As I grew older I thought it such a laugh to get wasted and listen to A Collection of great Dance Songs. One Of These Days would send goose bumps up my spine and Sheep

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told.
Get out of the road if you want to grow old.

Jesus - who writes this stuff.

Nowadays it`s Dark side of the moon for me.

ynnhoj
May 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM
on the whole, i'm not too crazy about pink floyd. i guess i'd call myself a syd barrett fan. the early singles and stuff ("apples and oranges", "vegetable man", "see emily play", "arnold layne", etc.), and piper at the gates of dawn are the cream of the crop to me. and syd's solo albums that followed later on had some absolutely fantastic songs too.

Bachstelze
May 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Meddle for teh win !

red_Marvin
May 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I really like Shine on you crazy diamond, but the whole wish you were here albu and most of dsotm is good I think, I haven't listened much to their earlier stuff, but my dad has a couple of lp's.

Flump5000
May 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
i always thought the final cut was their best album. i never really liked dsotm. the wall was pretty cool too.

Bachstelze
May 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
i always thought the final cut was their best album. i never really liked dsotm. the wall was pretty cool too.

They're not Pink Floyd albums, they're Roger Waters albums :p But I agree they're very good, way better imo than the early Barrett stuff, though Meddle-DSOTM-WYWH will always be the best to me

Mazza558
May 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'm enjoying "On an Island" (David Gilmour's last solo album), and it's pretty good. I don't know why, but I actually prefer the post-Rodgers era, although a lot of the Roger Waters era albums were fantastic.

Mazza558
May 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Did anyone see "the 7 ages of rock" tonight? It had a bit of stuff on Pink Floyd. It was on BBC2 in the UK.

steveneddy
May 27th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Yeah, Floyd......

Animals and Dark Side, in that order, real loud, before a gig.

fenian
May 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Obscured by Clouds (http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/wots-the-deal-obscured-lyrics.html)

sebbouckaert
May 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hey, I'm also a big fan!

I discovered “Wish You Were Here” (the album) when I was 16 or so, and I just loved it ever since. I had a fairly liberal upbringing, so around the time I was 17 I used to hang around the house with some friends, as we enjoyed some pot while we listened to that album.

Later on, I discovered all the other Floyd stuff and had a huge trip on their early stuff, from “Piper At The Gates of Dawn” to “Ummagumma”. I was really intrigued by Syd Barrett and his song writing abilities, as well as the whole story of his mental state, forcing him to withdraw from the band and public life and so on...

With the quarrel and departure of Waters, and the legendary status of the band, I couldn't believe the news in 1986 that they would go out and tour again! So during the summer of 87 I saw them twice, first in Rotterdam and then a few weeks later in Werchter festival ground (Belgium). But I never liked the way Gilmour acted in that period, and I must say that “A Momentary Lapse Of Reason” is my least favourite Floyd album, in fact I agree with Waters who then called it “a pretty fair forgery”, 'cause I mean, that's what it sounds like, very dull and mechanical stuff (plus Rick Wright isn't even credited as a full band member, so...°

Anyway, the nice thing about Pink Floyd is that they have so many periods: the early Barrett stuff, post-Barret psychedelia, their US breakthrough with “Dark Side” followed by a major seventies period. Then the Waters domination (Animals/The Wall/Final Cut) and finally the Gilmour “I can do it on my own” period. Not to forget the short, but moving 4-man Floyd reunion on Live Aid.

And as a guitar player, I must say that Gilmour's playing has been a big inspiration for my own playing. Although he's not really a fast player (neither am I) he has this magnificent tone. Producer Bob Ezrin once said: "You can give him a ukulele and he can make it sound like a Stradivarius." And who am I to disagree!

Shine on,

Seb

amitabhishek
May 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
Pink Floyd is God!

PryGuy
May 22nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
I remember that, years ago when I was young, here in the 'evil empire' we had so many Beatles and Pink Floyd fans! Now, when there is so much crap around us we have to hear, Pink Floyd sounds even more and more precious!

P.S. Rule Britain! ;)

Moustacha
May 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
(plus Rick Wright isn't even credited as a full band member, so...°

The reason why is that their contract was that if a band member left they couldn't rejoin the band. So Pink Floyd was gilmour and mason. wright might be a part of it again if they could be bothered in changing the contract.

WeeManDan
May 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm a huge Floyd fan and have been for years, I was lucky enough to see them at Live 8. Just wish I was a bit older so I could have seen them in the '94 tours.

bigken
May 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
1st heard floyd way back in the seventies must say WYWH realy blew me away and still does

K.Mandla
May 22nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Moved to OMG Pink Ponies.

Moustacha
May 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Moved to OMG Pink Ponies.

It WAS in PP, then it got moved to cafe for some reason:confused:

sebbouckaert
May 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
The reason why is that their contract was that if a band member left they couldn't rejoin the band. So Pink Floyd was gilmour and mason. wright might be a part of it again if they could be bothered in changing the contract.

I thought that they did change that after the "Momentary Lapse" tour, so that Rick became back a full band member for the making of "Division Bell"?

Anyway, it as good to see him tour again with Gilmour's band recently. I think that the version of "Echoes" included on Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall DVD is truly amazing, it sounds a more Pink Floydish than ever, despite the absence of Waters and Mason.

Th3Professor
May 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
wow... there seems to be plenty o' pink floyd threads... and here's yet another. lol...

...saw 'em live in '88, great band, great music.
...an overwhelming amount of pot-heads there. didn't matter, it was amazing. :)

Pethegreat
May 25th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I am playing "lost for words" from The Division Bell.

I only got into pink floyd about a year ago. I heard bits and pieces of PF on the radio. I bought DSOTM one day, then over 6 months I picked up all their other studio albums minus ummaguma. The floyd CD's I own are the only CD's that are worth the money I spent on them.

I can't enjoy saucer full of secrets and Piper at the gates of Dawn as much as the rest of the stuff they made. Their first two albums are too wierd for my liking.

Pink Floyd has better stuff than DSOTM. Meddle and Wish You were here are better albums, but they did not have the same commercial appeal as DSOTM.

Moustacha
May 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I like the fact that the albums are a whole, not just a collection of tracks. It's hard, especially when you hear one of their songs on the radio, to not want the rest of the album. There's a couple of songs that don't lead into the next, because of the limitation of the format they originally were on.

MeTylerDurden
May 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM
If you like Pink Floyd and you like History then check out Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" a most interesting film

sebbouckaert
May 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
It seems quite a few people here consider Ummagumma too weird to listen to.

I'd like to point out that this double album consists of two parts: a live recording and a studio album. The studio album indeed suffers from an almost unbearable weirdness, but the live capture is actually not bad at all.

I think the versions of "Astronomy Domine" and "Careful With That Axe" are really good. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to do a final recording of those early songs, in order to move on to newer stuff. Unfortunately the recording quality is poor, but hey, that was 1969!

forestpixie
May 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
The studio album indeed suffers from an almost unbearable weirdnessI think that the idea of several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict is not really all that weird, but then I suffer for being one in

...an overwhelming amount of pot-heads..

formol
May 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I discovered Pink Floyd with "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" and, I'm still surprise everytime i ear it how much this song is great.

then I saw the wall movie, still incredible...

I saw the concert of Waters last year and it's was very great too.

sebbouckaert
May 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I think that the idea of several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict is not really all that weird, but then I suffer for being one in

So next you'll be telling me you also enjoy listening to "Sysyphus Parts 1 - 4"?:shock:

BTW I really like Roger Waters doing his Scottish thing towards the end of "Several Species...")

forestpixie
May 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
So next you'll be telling me you also enjoy listening to "Sysyphus Parts 1 - 4"?

Not quite as much as Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast :guitar:

Of course neither/all are a patch on Fohat Digs Holes In Space - but then that's not Pink

MaxIBoy
May 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Pink Floyd is one of the only bands to successfully play rock music slowly. And with genuinely moving lyrics.

Us and Them made my cry when I first heard it.

NJC
May 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces

:mrgreen:

Not a huge fan, but I like some of their music: One of these days, us and them, learning to fly, comfortably numb, shine on you crazy diamond - all good stuff. Unfortunately their music has been played too much on classic rock stations.

sebbouckaert
May 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Of course neither/all are a patch on Fohat Digs Holes In Space - but then that's not Pink

Ah, Gong! where's the good old days... 8-)

forestpixie
May 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ah, Gong! where's the good old days...

Well I'm Glad To Sad To Say that they are On the Other Side Of The SKy

tigerplug
May 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Gotta get the PULSE DVD ;)

RussianVodka
May 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM
WARNING: This post contains opinions, that are held by other people.

Pink Floyd is pretty great, but not as great as Led Zeppelin.

And neither are as great as DDT.

sebbouckaert
September 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Rick Wright has died on september the 25th...RIP

And Gilmour is playing a tribute to him tonight on BBC 2 (for UK viewers)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dqxg6

(just an attempt to get this thread somewhat going again)

Elfy
September 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
an I shall post here simply in order to be in the same thread as the old me

PryGuy
September 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
WARNING: This post contains opinions, that are held by other people.

Pink Floyd is pretty great, but not as great as Led Zeppelin.

And neither are as great as DDT.
LOL. Well, the only thing I want to ask WHY do you post it here?! Start your own thread devoted to DDT and let's see how many fans you'll get there... It's ridiculous saying it here.

Rick Wright has died on september the 25th...RIP

And Gilmour is playing a tribute to him tonight on BBC 2 (for UK viewers)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dqxg6

(just an attempt to get this thread somewhat going again)I'd like to watch it. I have no idea how they will get over this loss... Rick was really one of the key members.

This thread must live!

Bachstelze
September 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately their music has been played too much on classic rock stations.

There is no such thing as too much Pink Floyd.

(Well, except Seamus...)

doorman
September 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
There is no such thing as too much Pink Floyd.

Quoted for truth!

PryGuy
September 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
There is no such thing as too much Pink Floyd.+1 here. Well, Pink Floyd is very different to me. It's kind of Rock but in fact I think Pink Floyd took so much from the classical music. Pink Floyd just educates your ears...

chucky chuckaluck
September 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
other than being mildy entertaining, i still fail to see the fascination for syd barrett. from the sound of some his antics, i can't help wondering if he were faking the insanity somewhat. on the B side, i've always felt david gilmour to be one of the more imaginative guitarists around. he's pretty underrated.

PryGuy
September 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
other than being mildy entertaining, i still fail to see the fascination for syd barrett. from the sound of some his antics, i can't help wondering if he were faking the insanity somewhat. on the B side, i've always felt david gilmour to be one of the more imaginative guitarists around. he's pretty underrated.
Well, Syd's Astromony Domine is a crazy thing. It's a masterpiece, a crazy one though... :)

sebbouckaert
September 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM

First of all, Syd was a great and innovative songwriter. He used his vivid fantasy to mix elements from Victorian English literature with psychedelic weirdness and witty things. His songs were typical for the late 60ies, but he had an influence on people such as McCartney; The Who, and later pop singers such as David Bowie and Marc Bolan.

And then, he was also a great innovator on the guitar. Without too much virtuosity he used the instrument in a very intuitive way. Using techniques such as tape echo and slide techniques he would use his telecaster to produce soundscapes that were hardly heard before in pop music.

So, in a way, you could say that he's pretty underrated too.

PryGuy
September 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Syd's lyrics remind me of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland which is truly an example of English mentality.

starcannon
September 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Pink Floyd is the greatest rock band to ever grace the stage. I like music, all music, indeed I haven't found a genre yet that didn't have at least 5 songs to offer me. Pink Floyd is the best of it all. Great band, and they produced the greatest rock opera of all time as well. Long live the Pink.

Since there isn't a thread like this and a lot of people like Pink Floyd, why not have a thread about them?

To start with, a blog with most of the Pink Floyd live shows on the web:

http://pinkfloydtv.blogspot.com

...and also a link to the Wikipedia article for the less familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_floyd

So, who else here likes Pink Floyd?

chucky chuckaluck
September 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
First of all, Syd was a great and innovative songwriter. He used his vivid fantasy to mix elements from Victorian English literature with psychedelic weirdness and witty things. His songs were typical for the late 60ies, but he had an influence on people such as McCartney; The Who, and later pop singers such as David Bowie and Marc Bolan.

And then, he was also a great innovator on the guitar. Without too much virtuosity he used the instrument in a very intuitive way. Using techniques such as tape echo and slide techniques he would use his telecaster to produce soundscapes that were hardly heard before in pop music.

So, in a way, you could say that he's pretty underrated too.

Syd's lyrics remind me of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland which is truly an example of English mentality.

take away the syd barrett mystique and all you're left with is psychedelic gilbert&sullivan. sure, he was imaginitive, but lots of people are imaginitive. i would argue that he failed to follow through on his imagination to the same extent mccartney, the who, bowie and the rest of pink floyd were able to. (i'd also argue that david bowie was much more influenced by bob dylan and later, scott walker.) i'd rate barrett higher as a charlatan than i would as a musician (believe it, or not, i actually mean that as a compliment).

SuperSonic4
September 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'm a huge floyd fan but I was born a generation too late to see them live :(

Favourite Album: DSotM or Division Bell. Pulse wins as a live album
Favourite Song : Time

LaRoza
September 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Moved to Cafe by request.

chucky chuckaluck
September 30th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Moved to Cafe by request.

thanks.

nothingspecial
September 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I recently screwed up a 500gig external with over 19,000 songs on it. (I`m sitting here soundjuicing cds as I have been for the past 5 days).
I did a e2fsck and lost everything except 1 album - The final cut.
Quite apt I thought.

gn2
September 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
(I`m sitting here soundjuicing cds as I have been for the past 5 days)

I use Grip which can be set so that when you insert the CD it will auto-rip, encode, name, tag, and eject the CD, all you need to do is swap the CD's in the drive.

nothingspecial
September 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I use Grip which can be set so that when you insert the CD it will auto-rip, encode, name, tag, and eject the CD, all you need to do is swap the CD's in the drive.

Thanks now I`m gripping and soundjuicing at the same time.

Pogeymanz
September 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I am an huge fan of Pink Floyd, so I had to add my two cents to this thread.

I only mildly like the Syd Barrett stuff, but I LOVE the Waters era of the band.

Funny story about that is that when I was first getting into Pink Floyd's music, I said that I didn't like Syd Barrett's stuff and my buddy started playing some single tracks from the early Floyd days and I didn't really like them, except for one. I said "Hey, I really like this song. I guess I do like some Syd Barrett." Guess what song it was: Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, written by Roger Waters...

My favorite album is The Wall, followed by Animals. I love the struggle that is present in The Wall. Just the whole idea of this "wall" being made from bricks of bad things that happened in your life to protect yourself off from the world, is very, very poetic. I get chills when I hear any song from The Wall.

Favorite songs include, in no order: Dogs, Shine on you Crazy Diamond (all of it), Echoes, High Hopes, Comfortably Numb, The Trial.