PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever forget you're using Linux?

Mazza558
May 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Occasionally, I'm just reading the forums, talking to friends, listening to music. I decide to open a new program and then the moment of realisation:

"Oh yeah...."

It really is a testament to how easy Linux is nowadays. I have whole periods when I don't notice the difference and it suddenly occurs to me that I'm using linux.

In the traditional "300" style:

THIS IS MADNESS! THIS IS UBUNTU!

ThinkBuntu
May 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
To me, I'm just using a computer...

Using a Mac at home my whole computing life (from when I lived with my family, to my Macbook now) and Windows when I have to (libraries, schools, work) I really no longer notice the difference when I'm doing day-to-day things. I always used the Terminal in OS X, so the only thing that reminds me that I'm in Linux is that software never asks me to pay, and I never used forums with my Mac.

Brunellus
May 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I often forget I'm using Windows. I am rudely awakened when I can't copy-paste with a highlight--middle-click. Also, I have caught myself trying to open windows command lines and being dumbfounded upon realizing it's not bash, but CMD.EXE.

prizrak
May 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I often forget I'm using Windows. I am rudely awakened when I can't copy-paste with a highlight--middle-click. Also, I have caught myself trying to open windows command lines and being dumbfounded upon realizing it's not bash, but CMD.EXE.

Hehe I got the same kind of problem. I have to use Windows at work and when I get alot of open windows I try to offload some to a different workspace and then when it doesn't work....

aroch1
May 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
All the time, to me its become second nature. When other people need to check e-mail or surf the net on my comptuer and ask why its so different my reply is usually, "Different than what?" lol

LaRoza
May 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I also often put the wrong commands in the terminal in Windows, and Linux.

Yoooder
May 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Nope, I work on an XP laptop (not by choice) and play on a Fesity desktop. Every day when I get to put away the work laptop (and Visual Studio 2005's constant problems) is a relief, no matter how bad my laptop has been treating me my desktop is a salvation of stability.

Reboot count:
XP Lappy - 2x daily
Feisty Box - 2x monthly (at most, sometimes my ivtv module starts misbehaving and requires a restart to get MythTV recording again)

daynah
May 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I forgot for a while. Then I got a job that required me to use Windows. :(

Really, the middle click copy paste thing gets you every time. Everything else seems so much more ineffective now!

earobinson
May 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I dont ever forget that Im using linux, its just I dont think about it. When I use windows I am sometimes frustrated by the lack of control and features that are available to me but thats it.

Bachstelze
May 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Same here, it's the opposite. When I'm in Win, I try to select text and then paste it with a click of the moddle-button before realizeing it doesn't work there :p

FuturePilot
May 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'm so used to Ubuntu that when I'm using Windows I got to switch to another desktop and then realize I can't. I love those virtual desktops:guitar:

rolando2424
May 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Same here, it's the opposite. When I'm in Win, I try to select text and then paste it with a click of the moddle-button before realizeing it doesn't work there :p

Same here :D

Also when I'm at school, I have a desktop full of windows, and I'm like, "No problem, I'll just switch to another desktop" and as I move the mouse to the right bottom corner I'm like... "Oh yeah...".

The same thing occurs with the highlight-middle-mouse-click and the show desktop button. Sometimes I want to see the desktop, I go to the left bottom side of the screen, click on the button AND THE START MENU COME UP!!!!! Not a pleasant surprise :(

PatrickMay16
May 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I often forget I'm using Windows. I am rudely awakened when I can't copy-paste with a highlight--middle-click.

Absolutely! That happens to me almost every day when I'm on my dad's computer.

And yesterday, I needed to flash some updated firmware to my laptop's dvd drive. To do this, I had to use DOS since the firmware flashing program was only available for windows or DOS. Anyway, during the time I was using DOS to do that I typed 'ls' and hit enter, and then realised what I had done.

hobieone
May 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I also often put the wrong commands in the terminal in Windows, and Linux.

:lol: i'm guilty of this one myself caught myself entering a linux command in windows terminal to other day and spend 5 mion trying to figure out why it wasn't working then it dawned on me this is windows not linux

onbongos
May 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
i just forget which linux i'm using. i'll try to sudo make install something on my web hosting account and it doesn't work

shen-an-doah
May 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I haven't ever forgotten what OS I'm using, I don't think. What I do forget is when I'm not using Amarok, I try to pause it and wonder why my keyboard shortcuts aren't working. It's worse when I've got Amarok already paused and I end up with two things going at once...

The other one is that I use middle-click to close tabs in Firefox so often that I find myself trying to use it to close other things...

Happy_Man
May 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I never really forget.... I just don't care. A computer is a computer, after all.

The only thing here I can be guilty of is middle-click pasting. Gets me every time..... :(

bobbybobington
May 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I forget all the time, I'll often go to play counter strike and I'll remember "oh I don't have that set up do I". But whenever I'm on an xp machine I am suprised by how cheap and ugly the desktop looks. Getting through all the start up apps and non responding program errors makes me feel like I'm hacking through a jungle with a machete.

granite230
May 24th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I get tricked by both systems sometimes. But occasionally something weird happens (like this (http://www.rinkels.nl/strange/windows.jpg), or this (http://www.rinkels.nl/strange/sudoku.jpg)), and weird things just make me think a little :p

I also get reminded a lot when something just won't work, or I have to use a program (like the Gimp) I'm not used to. Fortunately I learn more and more about using Linux every day and yes, sometimes I actually DO forget I'm using Linux. I like that a lot since it means I'm successfully using that 'strange' operating system, and made it my second nature.

:popcorn:

Iceni
May 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I don't, because school, mom, work, etc all use windows. I tend to use the command line more nowadays tho:) Instead of finding the file in explorer I just notepad it from cmd:)

I do get frustrated when I can't change desktops:) Gets me almost every day.

AndyCooll
May 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I always forget that CTRL+ALT+L doesn't lock my computer when I'm at work.

And that CTRL+ALT+F1 doesn't take me to another virtual terminal either.

:cool:

Ateo
May 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Nah. I always know where I'm at. Beryl is a constant reminder. =)

starcraft.man
May 25th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I agree with Ateo... every time I spin my cube, I know I'm not using windows :p.

I never forget what I'm in though, the one with least crashes is always linux :D.

tcpip4lyfe
May 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM

omg I didnt know that