PDA

View Full Version : Release Naming

vicayres
June 29th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Are there any other old, mentally-challenged folk like me who find the naming of Ubuntu releases sometimes confusing? It seems that most Linux distros feel obliged to give their release a name. But, why choose just a name with no reference to the numeric version?

The forums have a better system in using the likes of "Warty 4.10", "Hoary 5.04". But, they still haven't thought it through properly because Hoary - which is a later release than Warty - sorts before it.

It seems to me that the most logical way to name releases is "04.10-Warty", 05.04-Hoary". Now we have to cope with the next release. We mustn't make that too cryptic. I'd suggest "05.10testing.Breezy". Then, when it's released, we drop the "testing" part.

Of course, all this is only if you want to continue with names. I'd be much happier just to have "ubuntu-04.10", "ubuntu-05.04"

Leif
June 29th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Hoary sorts first because it's the current distribution, and it's what most people want to view first. While it might get troublesome in the long run, I see no harm in having fun names for releases. Whatever keeps the developers giggling.

N'Jal
June 30th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I remember RH 8 and 9, shrike and psyche i believe their code name's were. That really magnafoozled my poor brain trying to work out why they were called that, but i think it's kinda cool really, the developers are having a little bit of fun. I'd do the same, in fact if i ever wrote my own (ubuntu based, naturally) distro, being in the UK id simply call it chavix since all england is known for is chav's.

Though on ubuntu's name's I know the first realese was called warty coz it was expected to be a little ugly and a bit rough, badger, um i can't remember and breezy because breezy can mean fresh and new etc etc.

sonny
June 30th, 2005, 01:05 AM
It's all right that the programmers have a little fun, it's like a joke that only a Doctor could understand, or that math jokes that an Attorney can't find fun in it. I think it's the same with the distro's name.