PDA

View Full Version : Making a cool Hacker/FBI/Matrix/Linux desktop.

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone has come across any desktops (screenshots) that resemble/mimic a desktop of a hacker, FBI/CIA or Matrix desktops you often see on TV shows and Movies. I think the current Linux desktop has become very elegant that it looks almost similar to the commercial counter-parts, some of the assumed hacked like qualities have been hidden by Windows/OSX like icon themes and menus. Looking for something cool and unique, please post some screenshots.

nmap used in the Matrix
http://images.insecure.org/nmap/images/matrix/reload_nmap_c.jpg

a12ctic
May 24th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Just use ctrl+alt f1-4 and you'll have a commandline enviroment.

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 01:00 AM
lol @ a12ctic

Anyway, I would design something, but I'm not up for re-learning GiMP yet after being trapped in Windows for so long and using Photoshop. I'm a returning Ubuntu user. I went back to Windows for 2 reasons. I was teaching kids at the Boys & Girls Club about Ubuntu, but I got fired for not filing proper paperwork on what my overall plan was for the computer lab. >_>

Anyway, the other reason was for Flyff (Fly For Fun), but I found out that someone has gotten to play successfully on Linux using VMWare Player, so that reason is now null & void.

If Photoshop works under VMWare Player or Wine, I'll make one using that, or it will have to wait until I'm not lazy enough to re-learn GiMP. :P

Jesse~

%hMa@?b<C
May 24th, 2007, 01:25 AM
lol @ a12ctic

Anyway, I would design something, but I'm not up for re-learning GiMP yet after being trapped in Windows for so long and using Photoshop. I'm a returning Ubuntu user. I went back to Windows for 2 reasons. I was teaching kids at the Boys & Girls Club about Ubuntu, but I got fired for not filing proper paperwork on what my overall plan was for the computer lab. >_>

Anyway, the other reason was for Flyff (Fly For Fun), but I found out that someone has gotten to play successfully on Linux using VMWare Player, so that reason is now null & void.

If Photoshop works under VMWare Player or Wine, I'll make one using that, or it will have to wait until I'm not lazy enough to re-learn GiMP. :P

Jesse~

photoshop 7 will work on WINE. they will all work (including cs2) if you copy over the register files.

fenian
May 24th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I think XUbuntu server has no gui good for a webserver not practical for everyday use.Another thing you could do would be to delete all the panels set the desktop background to black and then set up a terminal as a desktop background (how to do this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36811)).

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM
photoshop 7 will work on WINE. they will all work (including cs2) if you copy over the register files.

THANK YOU! That's good to know since I still use PS7; Found CS to be WAY too bloated for my liking.

WooHoo, I'm back to making graphics again using Photoshop...but still, I want to re-learn GiMP anyway since I don't want to stay attached to Windows too much in any way, shape or form...except when it comes to Flyff. I have too much of an addiction to that game to let it go. :>

Jesse~

angryfirelord
May 24th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone has come across any desktops (screenshots) that resemble/mimic a desktop of a hacker, FBI/CIA or Matrix desktops you often see on TV shows and Movies.

It's easy. Make your gnome-terminal's background black and its text color green. (see screenshots below)

Tundro Walker
May 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM
1) set desktop to black terminal, as Fenian suggested

2) get conky to run system specs in one of the corners of your desktop in some kind of matrix green or cyan/blue (so it looks like you're monitoring really leet stuff on your computer even if you don't know what it is)

3) Ask someone to make a script that randomly pops up an extra terminal window every 10-30 seconds, running some kind of leet looking code or program (like top, or a random file finding script, etc), and after it runs, make it look like its dumping the results to some place important (eg: "data dump complete...system online")

4) Ask someone else to script some random windows that pop-up with progress meters that run for X amount of time, with really cool verbiage on them, like "downloading mainframe...please stand by..." or "file crack in progress...". They're not actually doing anything, they're just progress bars that run for random amounts of time, then close the progress bar window when done. (This trick has been used on MS Windows before, usually by IT folks who want to make it seem like they're computer is really busy doing something when actually it's not.)

5) Get "brightside", which lets you use screen edges and corners to activate commands, and set it up so when you toss your mouse into the lower-right corner, it fires off all that bogus activity. Then, when friends are around that you want to impress, you just whip your mouse into the corner, and your computer goes into this flurry of activity like you're trying to crack the ultimate Black ICE from hell on the cyber-net. Or, you could have a "master" script that fires all that off from your desktop terminal screen, and when it's doing so, it just starts randomly spewing off "leet" sounding stuff with %'s filling up, or periods filling in "." to make it seem like it's some kind of master process orchestrating all the windows opening and closing EG:

tw1@tw1:~$ activate_operation_overkill

Scaling Resources....Done!
Initializing Process...100%
Orbiter......................Online
Scanning Mainframes...................................
Isolating DeltaX............................................
Attempting Aegis Protocol............................
Hostiles detected...................neutralizing...
Back-Door detected......................................

Of course, all the script would do is piece together random technical mumbo-jumbo, and come up with some random amount of time to wait to fill in the periods or increment the % meter.

This might fool some folks, but knowledgeable sorts will figure out that it's just a load of bunk you're doing to try to see important.

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Tundro, I love your Avy. It made me laugh really hard! :lol:

Back on topic, all these ideas are giving me ideas! :twisted:

I'll try not to disappoint when I get started, but I can't say it will be fantabulous, but decent enough. :P

Jesse~

Tundro Walker
May 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Here you go...stupidity in action...

Tundro Walker
May 24th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Here...this is what I was thinking of (http://www.seadvd.com/thread-22521-1-1.html) when I mentioned creating bogus progress bars that pop up randomly with random captions that go for random amounts of time.

I used it at one of my jobs one time to keep my ivory tower "mystique". I'm usually the most technical out of all the folks I work with (you know, the type that actually takes time to automate defrags, system restarts, etc). One of my co-workers couldn't believe I was able to compile reports so fast, so I decided to set up a little time-killer to make it look like it was taking 30 mins to do all kinds of stuff...while I cut out to get a cup of coffee or something.

The other great part...I scheduled it to start up with Task Scheduler at 7am every morning and last for about 2 hours. If I rolled in late, folks wouldn't say anything, because they'd see it going on my comp and think I was there early. Of course, I also had auto-running reports that would email folks at all hours of the day (including 5am...LOL!), so folks never really knew when I was or wasn't in the office.

Note that I had a project-oriented job, though, so what hours I worked really didn't matter...as long as the projects got done on time. (I'd sometimes work 20 hours during the week, then 24 on the weekends...it was really fun!)

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I mean to say, to make the WHOLE desktop look techy and stuff not to just use a terminal.

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Here is an example of Matrix laptop desktop.

http://images.insecure.org/nmap/images/matrix/DVD_Rip2.jpg

http://images.insecure.org/nmap/images/matrix/matrix-hack-screen3

Other computers in movies.
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_antitrust01.jpg
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_italian01.jpg
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_swordfish01.jpg
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_swordfish02.jpg
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_jurassic01.jpg

Darkhack
May 24th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I saw this on Digg a few days ago. Shows how to use the terminal for almost any task. There is even a program called Twin that allows you to have a window manager in the terminal so you can run multiple processes without Ctrl-Alt-Fing to a different terminal.

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/05/21/a-day-without-x/

Screenshot of Twin: http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/twin.jpg

Tundro Walker
May 24th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Ok, that image of the cyan blue screen...use openbox or fluxbox. Those are ideal for minimalist "techy-looking" stuff. You can get rid of your taskbars and just use the right-click menu on them. In fact, I bet you could find a pre-built matrix / techy theme for them. They have lots of folks doing themes.

EDIT:

Go to http://themes.freshmeat.net/ (http://themes.freshmeat.net/)

...they have tons of themes for fluxbox / openbox. Type in "matrix" in the search box, and you should find all kinds of matrix themes showing up, including some that are minimalist / movie-hacker style.

Now...getting and setting up fluxbox (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=371144&highlight=fluxbox)...you're on your own there...

Side Note, for more FluxBox how-to's...go to the "Tutorials & Tips" forum and search on "Fluxbox"...should get tons of stuff for it.

TheMono
May 24th, 2007, 04:08 AM
This thread is hilarious.

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Woohoo, I just installed Photoshop 7.0.1 onto Ubuntu and now I can start imaging again.

-love struck-

Thanks for the great info that Photoshop 7 works in Wine. I'm using it right now! :D

Jesse~

BOBSONATOR
May 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Make the progress bar to say

"now uploading pr0n to white house"

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Woohoo, I just installed Photoshop 7.0.1 onto Ubuntu and now I can start imaging again.

-love struck-

Thanks for the great info that Photoshop 7 works in Wine. I'm using it right now! :D

Jesse~

How did u do it? I tried before Photoshop 7 & CS and didn't work for me :( PS7 ran, with many bugs and was very very slow maybe 1/10 the speed of the actual program.

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
What are your system specs and what version of Wine were you using?

I just ran the install program, and once it finished, it ran smoothly. MUCH better than I had anticipated. It's best to get the latest version of Wine to make it work the best.

Only bugs I can say it has right now are that if you minimize it, the panels won't go with it, so before you do that, press Tab so that the workspace is cleared and you can have them moved out of your way until you press Tab again.

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Go there and follow the instructions to update your repositories and get the newest version. I like it since Photoshop is behaving quite nicely. Too bad they can't get GameGuard to work like that for my favorite game Flyff.

Sure, VMWare is the only option right now, but, that requires me to make a brand new Windows install since my current one is too big in size to fit into an image file, then onto my Ubuntu HDD.

Oh well, guess I'll just make the extra effort of doing that until it's ready for use in Wine...yargh. v.v;

Jesse~

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I also had bugs with the mini windows (layers) not showing up lower buttons untill I maximized and then resized them.

P4 1.6GHz
768 DDR RAM

I'm thinking maybe I should try Photoshop 5 instead, I used to use 5 forever. The only problem is that is has some PNG export problems thats why I had to upgrade.

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
It should run fine on your system. Also, Yeah, the panel things not showing lower buttons is something I get too. If things get too hairy, save your workspace after you start up and make sure to load it when things get very messy and so on. ;)

Jesse~

PrimoTurbo
May 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Okay Photoshop 5 installed fine on the second attempt, I ran it fine for about 10 minutes and was making a quick background. All of a sudden it just crashed and closed. Tried it again, same thing. Wine is garbage, I could never get anything working correctly. Starcraft, Photoshop, utorrent. Removing it now..

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Sorry to hear that. =/

I guess PS5 has problems with Wine or it's just that Wine is not simpatico with your system.

Jesse~

larsemil
May 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
with beryl you can get the matrix screensaver to run as desktop background. that is pretty h4xx0rish

marco123
May 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
The coolest looking screenshots of hacker-style wallpapers I've seen are on the Gentoo site and I'd love to be able to get my desktop to look like them.

http://www.gentoo.org/images/shots/desktop-cadaver138.png

http://www.gentoo.org/images/shots/godoisw.jpg

Could always just set the screenshots as wallpaper? lol

Nikron
May 25th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Make a cronjob that pops up with random traceroutes every few minutes.

BOBSONATOR
May 25th, 2007, 04:24 AM
slayer@1337~:
[ER1] You are being chased by the CIA
Would you like to slay them (y)?[
Slay Persued
==================>100%
Their base now belongs to you.
slayer@1337~: sh. ./insert_mainframe --add cheese
slayer@1337~: sh ./coldwar.sh

Mathiasdm
May 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I know, it's badly coded, I should have put my 'sleep function' in a seperate function :-p
I didn't use 'sleep', because I want the fan to turn on so the computer seems busy :-p

#include <time.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main(void) {
cout << "World domination -- Program Loading" << endl;
for(long i=0;i<110000000;i++) {
if(i%10000000 == 0) {
cout << (i/1000000) << " % complete..." << endl;
for(long j=0;j<10000*((long)rand());j++) {
j++;
for(long k=0;k<10000;k++) if(k==99) j--;
//Niks!
}
}
}
for(long i=0;i<(1+rand()%3)*100000000;i++) {
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << "3 possible intruders detected:" << endl;
cout << " Scanning intruder properties";
for(long i=0;i<(1+rand()%3)*30000000;i++) {
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << endl << "WARNING: weapons detected." << endl << "Eliminate intruders? (Y/N) ";
string s;
cin >> s;
char c = s.at(0);
if(c=='n' || c=='N') {
cout << endl << "Terminating program -- Please try our World Domination Express pack: only €99 for a world of fun!" << endl;
return 0;
}
else if(c!='y' && c!='Y') {
cout << endl << "Error: incorrect answer.\n Extermination started." << endl;
cout << c << endl;
return 0;
}
cout << "Intruders eliminated..." << endl;
cout << "Preparing particle beam accelerator NK3000" << endl;
for(long i=0;i<(1+rand()%3)*20000000;i++) {
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << "Targets selected:" << endl;
cout << " *New York" << endl;
cout << " *Washington" << endl;
cout << " *London" << endl;
cout << " *Paris" << endl;
cout << " *Moscow" << endl;
cout << " *Mumbai" << endl;
cout << " *Berlin" << endl;
cout << " *Venice" << endl << endl;
cout << "Pressing the red button..." << endl;
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << "Error: buffer overflow. Extra target: " << endl;
cout << " *you" << endl;
cout << "You will be assimilated. Resitance is futile." << endl;
cout << "ERROR: lost carrier." << endl;
return 0;
}

shearn89
June 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM
4) Ask someone else to script some random windows that pop-up with progress meters that run for X amount of time, with really cool verbiage on them, like "downloading mainframe...please stand by..." or "file crack in progress...". They're not actually doing anything, they're just progress bars that run for random amounts of time, then close the progress bar window when done.

genius.... Anyone written the script yet?

Edit: just looked up....

Mathiasdm
June 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
It just runs a single terminal window ;-)
I'm releasing it under the Do-Whatever-The-Hell-You-Want-With-It license, so feel free to alter ;)

shearn89
June 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
how do i make it run? I tried "chmod 755 worlddomination", and "chmod -x worlddomination"....

KIAaze
June 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
how do i make it run? I tried "chmod 755 worlddomination", and "chmod -x worlddomination"....

"chmod 755" is correct.
"chmod -x" is not, you should use "+x" if you want to make it executable.

However the code given by Mathiasdm is not a shellscript. It's a C++ program.
So you first have to compile it before you can run it:

g++ -o worlddomination worlddomination.cpp
./worlddomination

Have fun! :)

Tundro Walker
June 6th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Make the progress bar to say

"now uploading pr0n to white house"

I can't believe I'm doing this but...see the attached screenshot.

Ok, so the forum folks don't totally ban me for stupidity in action, I'll at least contribute how I did this, so I might be able to argue I was trying to do something educational.

I created it using the "dialog" program. It's used to create console pop-ups for console scripting. It makes ASCII-looking visuals, so it has that annoyingly creepy-looking retro look (you know, the one where you don't know if the program's about to blow up or not).

Dialog has tons of syntax options. I basically chose the "gauge" option to make a progress meter.

dialog --title "TW1 Infiltrate" --gauge "Uploading Pr0n to Whitehouse..." 6 50 72You read that as...

Dialog <options> <box type & box options>So, it'd be

Dialog --title "title" --gauge "gauge text" <box height> <box width> <optional percent already filled in on gauge> Yes folks, stupidity in action. If only my powers could be used for good instead of evil.

PS: I hear George really enjoyed what I sent him...LOL!

Mathiasdm
June 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Oooh, would be nice to have my C++ program pop up such a dialog :p
I'm afraid I don't know how to do that, so if anyone wants to give it a go... :D

shearn89
June 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
However the code given by Mathiasdm is not a shellscript. It's a C++ program.

ahh - i thought it didn't quite look like shell stuff... cheers.

shearn89
June 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
A new addition - I sort of took Mathiasdm's script, and converted it to make it look like its loading some sort of system - the "hack.net protocols"...

#include <time.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main(void) {
cout << "Preparing Hack.net Protocols - Please Wait." << endl;
for(long i=0;i<110000000;i++) {
if(i%10000000 == 0) {
cout << (i/1000000) << " % uploaded..." << endl;
for(long j=0;j<10000*((long)rand());j++) {
j++;
for(long k=0;k<10000;k++) if(k==99) j--;
}
}
}
for(long i=0;i<(1+rand()%3)*100000000;i++) {
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << "Data load complete: bringing systems online" << endl;
cout << " Systems online. Welcome, Agent bl4ckh4nd..";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << ".";
i++;
do {
i--;
}
while(false);
}
cout << "" << endl;
}

only a 5 minute job, but works alright... Hope you don't mind Mathiasdm!

edit: I'll post a screenshot once i've worked out how...
edit2: Got it!

KIAaze
June 8th, 2007, 06:33 PM
How did you make your terminal 100% transparent?
With Beryl or something else?

Looks cool. :)

shearn89
June 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
you just edit the terminal profile - right click anywhere in it, go edit profile, and i think its under effects or something. To remove the window frame around it i used devilspie.

See this howto:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202249

I just changed the terminal window size (the last line of the devilspie config file)

Tundro Walker
June 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Just wanted to drop a note saying I'm working on a console / script fake hacker thingy like this. I think it's about half-done. I'll post up the script files when I get done. I find this funny, because the end result will be a complete waste of time, but it's a funny reason to learn console scripting.

shearn89
June 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I find this funny, because the end result will be a complete waste of time, but it's a funny reason to learn console scripting.

Gotta be the best reason to learn anything... This post rocks!

Gargamella
June 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Could always just set the screenshots as wallpaper? lol

LOL that may be the easiest way :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:popcorn:

matthew
June 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Here...this is what I was thinking of (http://www.seadvd.com/thread-22521-1-1.html) when I mentioned creating bogus progress bars that pop up randomly with random captions that go for random amounts of time.

I used it at one of my jobs one time to keep my ivory tower "mystique". I'm usually the most technical out of all the folks I work with (you know, the type that actually takes time to automate defrags, system restarts, etc). One of my co-workers couldn't believe I was able to compile reports so fast, so I decided to set up a little time-killer to make it look like it was taking 30 mins to do all kinds of stuff...while I cut out to get a cup of coffee or something.
This is kind of a late reply...there is a little program in the repos that does this.

sudo apt-get install cappuccino

To run it, type cappuccino from the command line or create a shortcut...I made an icon and link in my panel.

Mathiasdm
June 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
only a 5 minute job, but works alright... Hope you don't mind Mathiasdm!

edit: I'll post a screenshot once i've worked out how...
edit2: Got it!

I don't mind at all, shearn! In fact, I'd like to encourage anyone to make something nice out of it (public domain, baby!).
I like what you did with it (looks pretty neat with the transparent terminal!).

shearn89
June 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
cheers! I'm going to do some messing about with a python version this afternoon, as I'm not that hot with c++. I'll post the results here.

Tundro Walker
June 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I got some bash script files done that basically emulate lots of 'leet haxor' junk going on, but the computer really isn't doing much other than spamming bogus messages to the console, sleeping while progress meters fill in, and spamming sub-consoles that run bogus messages, too.

I zipped up the stuff so everyone can check it out. The bogus action messages are generated by pulling in txt files with NOUN, VERB, ADJECTIVE lists, and then randomly piecing them together to dump to screen. So, you can get genius phrases like

Pwn Cracked Pr0n...

...which appears in the top-most sub-console of the screenshot (lol!) or...

Scanning Infinite-Improbability Hard Drive...

...lol!

Note even the sub-console windows (xterm windows, BTW) even have their own random, spoofed titles ("Loading Microsoft Operations"...hehe). And, before you ask "yes" the main script did spam all those little console windows.

When I was scripting this, I was using a faster progress meter rate, which let windows close down quickly (never had more then 3 or 4 open at once.) But when I slowed down some progress meter rates, it seems the sub-consoles spammed more than that. Plus, I thought parent windows halted operations while child windows processed. I was wrong. I had several sub-windows processing at once, and they were starting to spawn like tribbles. I'll need to work on the frequency of sub-console spawning to reduce this. (It's currently a 1 in 10 chance to happen, but then each sub-console has a chance to do a sub-console, etc...it can get out of control if the frequency isn't kept low, and it looks like I don't have it low enough yet.)

Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think. You can add words to the NOUN, VERB, ADJECTIVE lists, or, heck, delete them all and replace them with stupid things, so you can get phrases like "Breaking into Cragscleft Prison....100%" (for a Garret Thief theme...lol!)

Only useful purpose I see for this "program" would be if you wanted to fool your friends/family into thinking your some kind of 'leet haxor gangsta' type, or if you wanted to set it up to run as a sort of "screensaver" when you're away from your computer. (Well, it was also a usefully stupid idea to get me to learn bash scripting...lol!)

SIDE-NOTE ... There really isn't a "quit" command for this. You'll just need to go to the main console you fired off the main script from and CTRL+C to break/kill it. Or, you can close the terminal window. In fact, to kill off any sub-consoles, you have to click to close them each.

1Slater1
June 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
lol you dont have to do much to make Ubuntu resemble a hacking system mate, it's already that. :o ! Of course installing beryl along with emerald would help! This link guides you through the installation process, really easy ;)
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Feisty#How_to_install_Beryl_.28Nvidia.29
With some testing you should be able to get the desired result!!

SoulinEther
June 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I got some bash script files done that basically emulate lots of 'leet haxor' junk going on, but the computer really isn't doing much other than spamming bogus messages to the console, sleeping while progress meters fill in, and spamming sub-consoles that run bogus messages, too.

I zipped up the stuff so everyone can check it out. The bogus action messages are generated by pulling in txt files with NOUN, VERB, ADJECTIVE lists, and then randomly piecing them together to dump to screen. So, you can get genius phrases like

Pwn Cracked Pr0n...

...which appears in the top-most sub-console of the screenshot (lol!) or...

Scanning Infinite-Improbability Hard Drive...

...lol!

Note even the sub-console windows (xterm windows, BTW) even have their own random, spoofed titles ("Loading Microsoft Operations"...hehe). And, before you ask "yes" the main script did spam all those little console windows.

When I was scripting this, I was using a faster progress meter rate, which let windows close down quickly (never had more then 3 or 4 open at once.) But when I slowed down some progress meter rates, it seems the sub-consoles spammed more than that. Plus, I thought parent windows halted operations while child windows processed. I was wrong. I had several sub-windows processing at once, and they were starting to spawn like tribbles. I'll need to work on the frequency of sub-console spawning to reduce this. (It's currently a 1 in 10 chance to happen, but then each sub-console has a chance to do a sub-console, etc...it can get out of control if the frequency isn't kept low, and it looks like I don't have it low enough yet.)

Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think. You can add words to the NOUN, VERB, ADJECTIVE lists, or, heck, delete them all and replace them with stupid things, so you can get phrases like "Breaking into Cragscleft Prison....100%" (for a Garret Thief theme...lol!)

Only useful purpose I see for this "program" would be if you wanted to fool your friends/family into thinking your some kind of 'leet haxor gangsta' type, or if you wanted to set it up to run as a sort of "screensaver" when you're away from your computer. (Well, it was also a usefully stupid idea to get me to learn bash scripting...lol!)

SIDE-NOTE ... There really isn't a "quit" command for this. You'll just need to go to the main console you fired off the main script from and CTRL+C to break/kill it. Or, you can close the terminal window. In fact, to kill off any sub-consoles, you have to click to close them each.

ROFL! That slayed me!

Eric_Jardas
June 10th, 2007, 10:59 AM
#-o This has to be the stupidest thread I have ever seen.

bobbocanfly
June 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM
This thread is hilarious :D

Off Topic : Tundro your theme is soooo cool

Tundro Walker
June 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM
This thread is hilarious :D

Off Topic : Tundro your theme is soooo cool

I set my script to go off for 99 "actions" while I went to the grocery store, because I wanted to see, with all the sub-console pop-ups, how long it would take for the parent and all the children to run their course.

I monitored it for about an hour before I decided to head to the grocery store. When I got back, it had been running for at least 2 hours, and it was still cranking away. I finally killed it, and all 16 of the xterm CLI's it had spawned (!!!). However, I did get a few priceless screenshots out of it, like...

Pwning System Back-Door

...now THAT's what you'd EXPECT to do to a system back-door! ...and...

Build Microsoft Trojan

:o (!!!) :D

I'm gonna work on that zenity GUI progress meter stuff, and tone down how often these sub-CLI's spawn. I think it'll be a really cool "screensaver" to activate with BrightSide by mousing into a corner while I head out to do something. If only my computer at work used Linux...I could have all kinds of folks freaking out about this when they walk by. LOL!

PS: I checked out Cappuccino. It looked ok, and I liked how it spammed intricate sentences (using polygen, which I'm going to look into). But it basically takes up the entire screen (even covering panels!), and it's a pain to turn off (there's no exit button or command that I could figure out, even after looking at the man page for it). I like mine better, because it uses the consoles/terminals to give it more of a lean system 'haxor' feel. Cappuccino just looks like a GUI form that's front-ending random compiles (showing a process name, a sub-proc log, and a progress meter...meh)

KIAaze
June 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Here are two possible improvements of Tundro's script (because I like scripts with included usage instructions or default arguments ^^, and the useful shebang!):

If you want to have a default argument:
1)Replace the "$1" in the line "for (( i = 1 ; i < $1 ; i++ ))" with "nb_of_actions".
2)Add this at the beginning of "script_main.sh" (replace 47 with the default number you want):

#! /bin/bash
# Check if all parameters are present
# If no, set default parameter
if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
nb_of_actions=47
else
nb_of_actions=$1
fi

For included usage instructions:
Add this at the beginning of "script_main.sh":

#! /bin/bash
# Check if all parameters are present
# If no, exit
if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
echo
echo "usage :"
echo "$0 <number of actions>"
echo "This is a \"fake hacker\" script that tosses up random VERB + ADJECTIVE + NOUN \"action statements\" randomly to make it look like it's doing something, when actually it's not doing anything."
echo
exit 0
fi

Yes, I know this doesn't improve the hacker effect, but like I said, I like to have scripts with usage instructions. :p

And the shebang ("#! name_of_program_used_to_run_it") is pretty useful when you have perl, python or other non-bash scripts. Or if you use rare shells like csh, ksh, etc.

Other than that, the script works perfectly and is great! :D =D>
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

shearn89
June 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM
tundro - your script totally killed me! absolute genius! I managed to make a little python script to launch the "worlddomination" and "dataload" c++ programs posted earlier, but I'm struggling to find out how to compile it and make it executable....

Tundro Walker
June 11th, 2007, 03:58 AM
EDIT: Swapped out the .zip file with an updated version. Old version wasn't spamming sub-consoles very often (if at all). I simplified the code for it, and now it's doing it more, but still within tolerance (IE: isn't breeding 50 sub-consoles out of control).

Also, for anyone interested in this branch of the thread (IE: making the fakey computer operations stuff), there's a thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386) in the "Programming Talk" section about it.

PS: "oo" stands for "Operation Overkill", because that's what this is...overkill. LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, more tweaking, and...

1) got the zenity progress-meter GUI working. So, one of the random actions will be it tossing up a progress-meter that either pulses back-n-forth, or racks up progress while it spams sup-process chatter in it's display.

2) Added more verbs, nouns, adjectives to the lists...some realistic, some just plain stupid ...

"Goin Ninja on Global Hax0rs"...
"Pimping out Area-51 Pr0n"...
"oh noes!...FUBAR'ed Normality"......priceless!

3) Made the period progress meter end-phrases use a list file like the verb, noun, adjectives. So, you can load it up with stupid end-phrases that it'll randomly pick from when terminating a the period spam.

"Taking out FBI Firewalls......................PWNED"Period progress meter will also "wrap" to a new line without saying anything (used to say "please stand by", which was annoying.)

4) tweaked sub-consoles so they would do 1 to 10 actions instead of 5 to 10, which has helped decrease the "breeding population"...hehe

5) tweaked overall code so it'll spam faster. Was pretty slow and boring the way it used to be. Now it looks like it's feverishly at work hacking the world.

...probably various other tweaks, but can't remember.

See screen shot, download the .zip file (~140kb), and read the "readme" for instructions on running. Have fun!

KIAaze
June 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Fantastic work!

Breaking into slave Tundro Walker
:lolflag:

mjpolifka
December 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hey, don't know if anyone is still around on this thread (which is awesome btw), but have any of you used festival? It's a text-to-speech program that works decently. I was wondering if I could pass things to it from a C program instead of just a bash script. Then when you "logon" to one of these programs, it could say a message.

I plan to check out that bash script you have a little later, maybe I won't need to do anything in C after all.

alwiap
December 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
i always knew linux was full of wannabe communist hackers (http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/2007/08/18/ubuntu-%e2%80%93-why-it-is-wrong-for-america.aspx)

ericesque
December 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
What about a popup to the effect of:

Press 3 random keys to hack into the CIA's international terrorist database
and access your suspect's file-- displaying data and pictures in sync with
the natural flow of conversation.

<insert progress bar>

D-EJ915
December 7th, 2007, 05:00 AM
The window manager on that laptop kinda reminds me of PWM:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/pwm3.jpg

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 05:18 AM
EDIT: Swapped out the .zip file with an updated version. Old version wasn't spamming sub-consoles very often (if at all). I simplified the code for it, and now it's doing it more, but still within tolerance (IE: isn't breeding 50 sub-consoles out of control).

Also, for anyone interested in this branch of the thread (IE: making the fakey computer operations stuff), there's a thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386) in the "Programming Talk" section about it.

PS: "oo" stands for "Operation Overkill", because that's what this is...overkill. LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, more tweaking, and...

1) got the zenity progress-meter GUI working. So, one of the random actions will be it tossing up a progress-meter that either pulses back-n-forth, or racks up progress while it spams sup-process chatter in it's display.

2) Added more verbs, nouns, adjectives to the lists...some realistic, some just plain stupid ...

...priceless!

3) Made the period progress meter end-phrases use a list file like the verb, noun, adjectives. So, you can load it up with stupid end-phrases that it'll randomly pick from when terminating a the period spam.

Period progress meter will also "wrap" to a new line without saying anything (used to say "please stand by", which was annoying.)

4) tweaked sub-consoles so they would do 1 to 10 actions instead of 5 to 10, which has helped decrease the "breeding population"...hehe

5) tweaked overall code so it'll spam faster. Was pretty slow and boring the way it used to be. Now it looks like it's feverishly at work hacking the world.

...probably various other tweaks, but can't remember.

See screen shot, download the .zip file (~140kb), and read the "readme" for instructions on running. Have fun!
Wow!!! Amazing! Great stuff:guitar: Is this under GPL 'cause I would like to use it for a hacking movie my friend and I might do. 'Cause we need something like this.

crimesaucer
December 7th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Have you all seen this theme from Die Hard 4 yet?

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Die+Hard+4.0+-+Matthew+Farrel%27s+theme+(E?content=66714

http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=2&id=66714&file1=66714-1.png&file2=66714-2.jpg&file3=&name=Die+Hard+4.0+-+Matthew+Farrel%27s+theme+(E

n3tfury
December 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
i don't get the point of this. is the OP wanting to do this to make it look like he actually knows anything beyond script kiddie level "hacks"? that actually makes you look more like a noob than someone with the default wallpaper/theme.

svtfmook
December 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
uh... get a dumb terminal and run copics....

KIAaze
December 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Wow!!! Amazing! Great stuff:guitar: Is this under GPL 'cause I would like to use it for a hacking movie my friend and I might do. 'Cause we need something like this.

For those that arrived late on the thread:

Script by Mathiasdm (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2717308&postcount=29)
Released under the Do-Whatever-The-Hell-You-Want-With-It license (i.e. Public Domain). (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2761236&postcount=31) ^^

Biggest script coming from this and it's own thread:
Fake "Hax0r / Hacker Activity" bash script (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386)
No known license statement.

i don't get the point of this. is the OP wanting to do this to make it look like he actually knows anything beyond script kiddie level "hacks"? that actually makes you look more like a noob than someone with the default wallpaper/theme.
It's fun and if people want to use it for a movie, then it's even useful. :p
If people want to use it to look like noobs, then let them do it. Can't hurt. ^^

uh... get a dumb terminal and run copics....
What's copics?

sailor2001
December 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I set my script to go off for 99 "actions" while I went to the grocery store, because I wanted to see, with all the sub-console pop-ups, how long it would take for the parent and all the children to run their course.

I monitored it for about an hour before I decided to head to the grocery store. When I got back, it had been running for at least 2 hours, and it was still cranking away. I finally killed it, and all 16 of the xterm CLI's it had spawned (!!!). However, I did get a few priceless screenshots out of it, like...

...now THAT's what you'd EXPECT to do to a system back-door! ...and...

:o (!!!) :D

I'm gonna work on that zenity GUI progress meter stuff, and tone down how often these sub-CLI's spawn. I think it'll be a really cool "screensaver" to activate with BrightSide by mousing into a corner while I head out to do something. If only my computer at work used Linux...I could have all kinds of folks freaking out about this when they walk by. LOL!

PS: I checked out Cappuccino. It looked ok, and I liked how it spammed intricate sentences (using polygen, which I'm going to look into). But it basically takes up the entire screen (even covering panels!), and it's a pain to turn off (there's no exit button or command that I could figure out, even after looking at the man page for it). I like mine better, because it uses the consoles/terminals to give it more of a lean system 'haxor' feel. Cappuccino just looks like a GUI form that's front-ending random compiles (showing a process name, a sub-proc log, and a progress meter...meh)
for cappuccino, alt/f4

HousieMousie2
December 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Here you go...stupidity in action...

Tundro, thanks for the giggle! The War Games bit and Tribbles killed me.

Mud.Knee.Havoc
January 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
i don't get the point of this. is the OP wanting to do this to make it look like he actually knows anything beyond script kiddie level "hacks"?

Who cares what the point is? This thread is hilarious.

il-luzhin
January 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
tundro is well worthy of a thanks.

macogw
January 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Just use a dark Fluxbox (or Blackbox or Openbox) theme, and you'll look like a hacker. That's especially true if you don't set up your Fluxbox menu to be full of GUI configuration apps and instead do it all from the command line. Oh, and your command line should be black with white, grey, or green text, not white with black text (which just looks silly).

peabody
February 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hey, don't know if anyone is still around on this thread (which is awesome btw), but have any of you used festival? It's a text-to-speech program that works decently. I was wondering if I could pass things to it from a C program instead of just a bash script. Then when you "logon" to one of these programs, it could say a message.

Well, if you absolutely must do it in C, below is an example:

/* Copyright (C) 2008 Sam Peterson <peabodyenator@gmail.com> */

/** This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
* modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
* published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
* License, or (at your option) any later version.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
* WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
* General Public License for more details.
* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
* along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
* Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
FILE* output;
if ((output = popen("festival --tts >/dev/null 2>&1", "w")) == NULL)
{
perror("Opening pipe failed");
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

fprintf(output, "You are fail");
fflush(output);

pclose(output);

return 0;
} /* end main */

blithen
February 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Anyone get a python version done?
I can't really get a sense of how to set it up.
Can anyone get one started?
And I will finish it or something?

peabody
February 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
of what? Operation overkill?

blithen
February 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
of what? Operation overkill?

Yeah.
But not. Just needs to print random crap to the terminal. No GUI.
Like the phrases from Operation Overkill just printed to the terminal.

peabody
February 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
for phrase in phrases:
print phrase

Uhm?? Not really a hard thing. Of course you would have to construct the phrases; oo does that by having bags of subjects, objects, and verbs, but not a hard thing to do really. subjects = open('subjects').readlines(); objects = open('objects').readlines(); verbs = open('verbs').readlines()

If you want a progress bar of periods just

for i in xrange(cols - len(phrase)):
print '. '
time.sleep(1)

If you want zenity progress bars:

pipe = os.popen("zenity --progress", 'w')
for i in xrange(101):
pipe.write("%d\n" % i)
pipe.flush()
time.sleep(1)

Just to give you some ideas.

blithen
February 18th, 2008, 05:45 PM
For the first one what do I have to import?
It says cols is not defined.

peabody
February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
most of what I posted was psuedo code, it was implied that cols would be a variable you would define to be the number of columns in a terminal. A good number for this is 80. It was just a dumb way of generating a progress meter with periods.

for imports

import os,sys,time

bobbocanfly
February 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Was bored so knocked up a Python version of this. Couldnt be bothered messing about with Zenity s just made command line progress bars.

#"Operation Overkill" - Take ovar teh intarwebs
#Original script by Tundro Walker
#Python 'port' by David Futcher ('bobbo')
#GNU General Public License Version 2 or above
#Yes this is meant to be a joke

import sys, time, random

phrases = [ "Replacing The Man's Enhancement plus Piggy-backed Datasofts",
"Goin Pirate all over Surveillance Sci-Ops Download",
"Pwn Security Variables on PYTHON Code",
"Reseed Tundro's Bin despite Anonymous Counter-Intelligence!",
"Prevent id10t Command!",
"Snipe Unknown WOW Identity",
"Bugging Bio-Tech Macro like Microsoft Virus",
"SCREWED!...Compare Shaft-able Hax0r plus Bugged Libraries!",
"Increased Difficulty!...Llama's in ur Exception, Neutralize ur Protocols!!",
"im in ur Router, Streaming ur Replication!",
"Parsing Illegal Pr0n via MPAA Rules" ]

cols = 80 #Terminal columns
delay = random.randint(1, 5) #Seconds to delay between progress bar increase

#Print some 'init' messages
print """
################################################## ########
### ###
### OPERATION OVERKILL by Tundro Walker and Bobbo ###
### ###
### INITIALIZING BASH PIPE RUN SYSTEM........DONE ###
### ###
################################################## ########
"""

random.shuffle(phrases)

#Print the 1337 H4xXxXx0R phrases
for phrase in phrases:
sys.stdout.write(phrase + ' [')
for i in range(cols - len(phrase)):
sys.stdout.write('='); sys.stdout.flush()
time.sleep(1)
print '] .. Complete'

blithen
February 19th, 2008, 01:44 AM
DUDE! That rocks! Thanks a ton.

msferoz85
February 19th, 2008, 11:07 AM
My humble contribution. nothing dynamic, just a static JPEG image.
The green one is an attempt to be as close to the hacker/ FBI / Matrix thing, while the brown one is to be more aesthetically suitable with default Ubuntu desktop. Details can be found here (http://schakaib.cgsociety.org).

Feedback is more than welcome.

blithen
February 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
My humble contribution. nothing dynamic, just a static JPEG image.
The green one is an attempt to be as close to the hacker/ FBI / Matrix thing, while the brown one is to be more aesthetically suitable with default Ubuntu desktop. Details can be found here (http://schakaib.cgsociety.org).

Feedback is more than welcome.

Oh!!! I really like the green. /me steals it
BWAHAHA!!!!111one
I'm so l33t : P
Thanks for the wallpaper though seriously, good stuff.

msferoz85
February 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Oh!!! I really like the green. /me steals it
BWAHAHA!!!!111one
I'm so l33t : P
Thanks for the wallpaper though seriously, good stuff.

I'm glad I didn't disappoint you guys. Well, one of you guys, at least :P

No, seriously!! :) :)
(GIMP is pretty powerful, no??)

Well, I'd appreciate if you guys helped me out with this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=700201) problem too. I'm growing rather desperate about this one. Pleeeeeeezzzeee reply to that thread, and help me with my problem!!

blithen
April 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Did a simple update to Bobbo's script. Made it so it clears the terminal, and added a few phrases. And made it go a little faster.

herbster
April 17th, 2008, 06:40 PM
slayer@1337~:
[ER1] You are being chased by the CIA
Would you like to slay them (y)?[
Slay Persued
==================>100%
Their base now belongs to you.
slayer@1337~: sh. ./insert_mainframe --add cheese
slayer@1337~: sh ./coldwar.sh

Hahahaha, holy crap this thread is hilarious.

ZarathustraDK
April 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I lol'ed at the picture of that girl from Jurassic Park in front of a computer in the command-center.

What was it she said? Something like "it's a UNIX-system!" when she saw it, all googly-eyed and exhilerated. :D

macogw
April 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I lol'ed at the picture of that girl from Jurassic Park in front of a computer in the command-center.

What was it she said? Something like "it's a UNIX-system!" when she saw it, all googly-eyed and exhilerated. :D

I know this. This is UNIX!

I think...

emotionlovesyou
April 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I think it's totally rad how visuals like these in movies are becoming more accurate and realistic.

:popcorn:

uknowho008
April 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
It's easy. Make your gnome-terminal's background black and its text color green. (see screenshots below)

where can i get this black theme?

elmer_42
April 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM
For all you Ruby users out there, I made something similar to Operation Overkill.

# Operation Overkill
# Prints out a lot of seemingly amazing things, but does nothing
# By Elmer Smith
# Original code by Mathiasdm
verb = ['exploiting', 'exploring', 'scanning', 'processing', 'finding', 'accessing', 'activating', 'adding', 'anchoring', 'authenticating', 'cracking', 'decyphering', 'compiling', 'compromising', 'debugging', 'detecting']
noun = ['backdoor', 'accounts', 'applications', 'arrays', 'bandwidth', 'binaries', 'firewalls', 'computers', 'construct', 'core', 'CPU', 'database', 'daemon', 'domains', 'emails', 'dump']
adje = ['abstract', 'advanced', 'artificial', 'augmented', 'BASIC', 'binary', 'bio-feedback', 'controlled', 'denied', 'established', 'focused', 'generic', 'main', 'measured', 'OMNI', 'real-time']
op1 = ['black', 'red', 'no', 'dead', 'denied', 'measured', 'pandora']
op2 = ['today', 'tomorrow', 'angel', 'demon', 'satan']
rand(50).times do
print verb[rand(verb.length)].capitalize
print ' '
print adje[rand(adje.length)]
print ' '
print noun[rand(noun.length)]
print '..........'
sleep(rand(4))
print '
Done!
'
sleep(rand(8))
end
puts 'Operation ' + op1[rand(op1.length)].capitalize + ' ' + op2[rand(op2.length)].capitalize + ' Finished'
The sleep after the .......... doesn't work for me, but it does for some people on Freenode in #ruby.

cardinals_fan
April 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
For all you Ruby users out there, I made something similar to Operation Overkill.
[snip]
The sleep after the .......... doesn't work for me, but it does for some people on Freenode in #ruby.
Works fine for me. This is funny...

elmer_42
April 18th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I know! The people in Freenode were all saying that it worked for them.

-gabe-noob-
April 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hey gimp isn't hard to learn, look what I did (shameless thread advertising about my other thread where I want to make people backgrounds but no one is posting in)

Tundro Walker
April 18th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Holy crap, it's been a while since I've seen this thread pop up.

We've created a monster! :)

I was experimenting with a python version a while back, just got bored and never finished. But, I dl'ed Bobbo's and will check it out. I'm usually better at adding to things then creating from scratch.

I was also experimenting with Gambas to try for a GUI-style "program" that would pop up "hacker-like" windows and screens. It would give more control over how the windows look, colorize, etc. You could even have one cycling through fingerprint pictures as if it's looking for markers and such. I think the flexibility of a GUI-based program would be far greater (and funnier) to exploit than console only.

Unfortunately, I'm only really good at coding VB. But, I don't really like Gambas' interpretation of VB, so it's a catch 22. Hehe.

blithen
April 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I was experimenting with a python version a while back, just got bored and never finished. But, I dl'ed Bobbo's and will check it out. I'm usually better at adding to things then creating from scratch.

I was also experimenting with Gambas to try for a GUI-style "program" that would pop up "hacker-like" windows and screens. It would give more control over how the windows look, colorize, etc. You could even have one cycling through fingerprint pictures as if it's looking for markers and such. I think the flexibility of a GUI-based program would be far greater (and funnier) to exploit than console only.

Unfortunately, I'm only really good at coding VB. But, I don't really like Gambas' interpretation of VB, so it's a catch 22. Hehe.

Haha! sounds great. Good luck.

blithen
May 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Any update on this? (I love this whole idea waaay to much. xD)

swoll1980
May 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM
1) set desktop to black terminal, as Fenian suggested

2) get conky to run system specs in one of the corners of your desktop in some kind of matrix green or cyan/blue (so it looks like you're monitoring really leet stuff on your computer even if you don't know what it is)

3) Ask someone to make a script that randomly pops up an extra terminal window every 10-30 seconds, running some kind of leet looking code or program (like top, or a random file finding script, etc), and after it runs, make it look like its dumping the results to some place important (eg: "data dump complete...system online")

4) Ask someone else to script some random windows that pop-up with progress meters that run for X amount of time, with really cool verbiage on them, like "downloading mainframe...please stand by..." or "file crack in progress...". They're not actually doing anything, they're just progress bars that run for random amounts of time, then close the progress bar window when done. (This trick has been used on MS Windows before, usually by IT folks who want to make it seem like they're computer is really busy doing something when actually it's not.)

5) Get "brightside", which lets you use screen edges and corners to activate commands, and set it up so when you toss your mouse into the lower-right corner, it fires off all that bogus activity. Then, when friends are around that you want to impress, you just whip your mouse into the corner, and your computer goes into this flurry of activity like you're trying to crack the ultimate Black ICE from hell on the cyber-net. Or, you could have a "master" script that fires all that off from your desktop terminal screen, and when it's doing so, it just starts randomly spewing off "leet" sounding stuff with %'s filling up, or periods filling in "." to make it seem like it's some kind of master process orchestrating all the windows opening and closing EG:

tw1@tw1:~$ activate_operation_overkill

Scaling Resources....Done!
Initializing Process...100%
Orbiter......................Online
Scanning Mainframes...................................
Isolating DeltaX............................................
Attempting Aegis Protocol............................
Hostiles detected...................neutralizing...
Back-Door detected......................................

Of course, all the script would do is piece together random technical mumbo-jumbo, and come up with some random amount of time to wait to fill in the periods or increment the % meter.

This might fool some folks, but knowledgeable sorts will figure out that it's just a load of bunk you're doing to try to see important.

You should write a book on this

swoll1980
May 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hey gimp isn't hard to learn, look what I did (shameless thread advertising about my other thread where I want to make people backgrounds but no one is posting in)

nice wallpaper can I have one please? 1024x768 that would be sweet

KIAaze
May 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I noticed something interesting in the description of xscreensaver recently:

Any program which can be
invoked in such a way that it draws on the root window of the screen can
now be used as a screensaver without modification. The programs that
are being run as screensavers don't need to have any special knowledge
about what it means to be a screensaver.

So if anybody wants to run operation overkill as a screensaver... ;)

Note: Ubuntu uses gnome-screensaver by default, the thing which also removed all the screensaver settings you had available in xscreensaver. :/

andrek
May 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
This is so hilarious!
I'd love to see some colors in operation-overkill.py :lolflag:

PrimoTurbo
May 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Funny to find this thread again, anyways my original point of the thread was to find some cool hacker/movie like desktop but instead it turned into a thread about fake hacker scripts. Which is cool and all.

But anyways how cool would it be to completely scare your friends. Tell your friends to name a few of their favorite websites, they mention a bunch. Then you run a fake script and enter the websites. Then there is some fake processes and stuff, then when you show them their favorite site on your computer it is defaced with your input text and as input text you can put their name or phone number as a joke.

What actually happens is the site is saved and edited with a script then set to forward from a url to a local host location on your computer. So it only appears hacked from your computer, when you visit www.sitename.com in reality it's just a pointer to a file on your computer. This can all be reset by a single command.

Imagine how you can freak out your friends.

bobbocanfly
May 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
This is so hilarious!
I'd love to see some colors in operation-overkill.py :lolflag:

It'd probably be quite easy, just add them to the start of each phrase in phrases[]. Saying that i'm lazy so i'll probably leave it for someone else to do :P

shen-an-doah
May 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Imagine how you can freak out your friends.

http://ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

blithen
May 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
http://ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

blithen
May 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Mkay! Super updated python version using the actual Operation Overkill txt files! Enjoy.

KIAaze
May 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Operation Overkill, now with sound too. :D
It uses festival, so you'll have to install it first if you don't have it.

Next potential projects:
-Launch Operation Overkill as screensaver. :P
-Add festival support to TundroWalker's advanced operation overkill.

blithen
June 10th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Operation Overkill, now with sound too. :D
It uses festival, so you'll have to install it first if you don't have it.

Next potential projects:
-Launch Operation Overkill as screensaver. :P
-Add festival support to TundroWalker's advanced operation overkill.

WOW. That's awesome!!! I hope these others come up too.
By the way you need to install

sudo apt-get install festvox-kallpc16k festival

jamesnewby
November 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hey,

sorry to bother you leet guys but i am in desperate need of assistance from someone nothing short of a genius and looking at the sick skills some of you guys seem 2 have,

i was wondering could one of you help a full on noob/newby out hence newby is actually my second name (lol its a curse)
anyway life story this is not just gota set the scene, ok so I'm doing my CISCO ccna, and i have moderate skills in most area's of most stuff but. reality hurts and tbh I'm rubbish at this stuff but i wana impress my fellow cisco-ers and take away some of the embarrassment that goes along with running a Dell Inspiron 1300.
So I'm trying to get Mathiasdm's cool code thing to run as desktop background or something or screensaver maybe but i don't have any of the aforementioned programs in this thread or any idea how to run them....

yeah your right i just want to use other people's work to look like a leet hacker.. sorry

is there anyway of getting any of that cool stuff you've all done to run on XP just without that stuff or as an image that can be set as background or something ..anything help me plz???
sorry for been such a douch plz dont be too harsh if your insulted or anything at my extreme sucky-ness...

HyperHacker
November 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM
All I do to make my laptop look like a "hacker movie computer" is have a few Conky instances displaying things like uptime, running processes, etc with nonsense labels like "TRACE" and "RUN STATE", everything in caps. There are also several "fake" instances (static text in the background image that looks the same as the Conky text) that add to the look without using up any additional resources. Add Compiz and six unlabelled desktop icons in the centre, and there you go.

Unfortunately it's not working right now, and Xfce won't let me arrange the icons the way I want, but I'll post a screenshot when I get around to finishing it.

Also, someone should totally make a screen saver that displays a fake desktop with random terminals, progress bars, 3D DNA models etc popping up.

cardinals_fan
November 15th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Hey,

sorry to bother you leet guys but i am in desperate need of assistance from someone nothing short of a genius and looking at the sick skills some of you guys seem 2 have,

i was wondering could one of you help a full on noob/newby out hence newby is actually my second name (lol its a curse)
anyway life story this is not just gota set the scene, ok so I'm doing my CISCO ccna, and i have moderate skills in most area's of most stuff but. reality hurts and tbh I'm rubbish at this stuff but i wana impress my fellow cisco-ers and take away some of the embarrassment that goes along with running a Dell Inspiron 1300.
So I'm trying to get Mathiasdm's cool code thing to run as desktop background or something or screensaver maybe but i don't have any of the aforementioned programs in this thread or any idea how to run them....

yeah your right i just want to use other people's work to look like a leet hacker.. sorry

is there anyway of getting any of that cool stuff you've all done to run on XP just without that stuff or as an image that can be set as background or something ..anything help me plz???
sorry for been such a douch plz dont be too harsh if your insulted or anything at my extreme sucky-ness...
Your fellows at Cisco probably know enough to not be impressed by messages like "Scaling core corporate network" or "Preventing mergeable pre-processor". I would recommend focusing really hard on the certification work and seeking help if you don't get it. The best way to impress others is to actually know what you're doing.

jamesnewby
November 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Your fellows at Cisco probably know enough to not be impressed by messages like "Scaling core corporate network" or "Preventing mergeable pre-processor". I would recommend focusing really hard on the certification work and seeking help if you don't get it. The best way to impress others is to actually know what you're doing.

Nope they don't actually there are only a few guys who are at top of class and I'm one of them, that says rather a lot doesn't it... lol
anyway yeah its only the first year of CISCO Networking Academy CCNA Semester Two btw so we are nowhere near leet networking-ers...yet
But thanks for the input anyway i am working hard and passing with ease, so iv got time for some lighthearted fun and too make my laptop look slightly cooler !???

So can anybody help then plz ??

rudihawk
November 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I discovered this thread last night! Its brilliant!

markp1989
November 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
simple but effective bash script that gives out alot of crap, whilst looking like its doing somthing

#!/bin/bash
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null & ## to make the cpu work so it apperars that the computer is doing somthing
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Beginning sequence" 6 50
sleep 5
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 20 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 30 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 40 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 50 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 60 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 70 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 80 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 90 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scaling Resources" 6 50 100 &
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Initializion Complete " 6 50
sleep 2
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Orbiter Online" 6 50
sleep 2
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 20 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 30 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 40 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 50 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 60 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 70 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 80 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 90 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Scanning Mainframes" 6 50 100 &
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Mainframes Scan Complete" 6 50
sleep 2
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Isolating DeltaX" 6 50 40 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Isolating DeltaX" 6 50 60 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Isolating DeltaX" 6 50 80 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Isolating DeltaX" 6 50 100 &
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Attempting Aegis Protocol..........................." 6 50
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Back-Door Detected" 6 50
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Connection breached" 6 50
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "beggining Automatic Override" 6 50
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Override" 6 50 50 &
sleep 1
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --gauge "Override" 6 50 100 &
killall cat>/dev/null
dialog --title "operation_overkill" --infobox "Override Successfull" 6 50

I have only tested this on my arch install, It should work, but i would like some confirmation

earthpigg
November 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
<3 this thread

my contribution: open a terminal window (green text on a semi-transparent black background, of course).

sudo apt-get update

that'll blow plenty of minds.

Dr Small
November 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I just wasted my half-hour writing this game, all because I found this thread...

I'll be letting my cousin play it, when he comes down :D

EDIT:
I tarred it with the -z option (gzip) for all you gzip users. It should extract correctly now.

Joeb454
November 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
simple but effective bash script that gives out alot of crap, whilst looking like its doing somthing

<snipped code>

I have only tested this on my arch install, It should work, but i would like some confirmation

It works, you may have to run
sudo apt-get install dialog It seems that the dialog package (apt://dialog) isn't installed by default.

damis648
November 25th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I just wasted my half-hour writing this game, all because I found this thread...

I cannot extract it, it gives the error that it is not in gzip format.

Ozor Mox
November 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I want to play :(

Jackelope
November 25th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Mkay! Super updated python version using the actual Operation Overkill txt files! Enjoy.

Not to sound like a complete noob, but I have no idea how to make this work...what am I missing?

FuturePilot
November 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I cannot extract it, it gives the error that it is not in gzip format.

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I want to play :(

Apparently it's only a .tar file. Somehow .gz got added onto it. Just remove the .gz extension.

BLTicklemonster
November 25th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Apparently it's only a .tar file. Somehow .gz got added onto it. Just remove the .gz extension.

Every time I see a .tar.gz file, I immediately remove the .gz extension from it.

pretty neat, do I have to put it in /bin or /usr/local/bin for it to work right?

loomsen
November 25th, 2008, 04:05 AM
<3 this thread

my contribution: open a terminal window (green text on a semi-transparent black background, of course).

sudo apt-get update

that'll blow plenty of minds.
:lolflag:

http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/557904/1/62589511.a248k7Nr.roflcopter.gif

Dr Small
November 25th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Every time I see a .tar.gz file, I immediately remove the .gz extension from it.

pretty neat, do I have to put it in /bin or /usr/local/bin for it to work right?
It doesn't matter where you put it, so long as both programs are in the $PATH. bar is just an extra I threw in there to make the progress bars work that I found off of another site.

As for the extration errors, don't look at me. I use tar.

tar xvf dodgame.tar.gz
It works every time for me...

I guess from now on, I need to run the -z option through tar :|

By the way, it's a lame game. Nothing to get excited over. It bores me after the second time. :-k

loomsen
November 25th, 2008, 04:09 AM

So, you're obv removing READMEs as well huh?

Drop both bar and dod in your $PATH
and then execute dod. This can be
in ~/bin or /usr/local/bin. Whichever
suits for fancy.

Flying caveman
November 25th, 2008, 05:35 AM
don't forget the splash and login window. http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/FBI+Splash?content=49545

aschwerin.moses
November 25th, 2008, 05:47 AM
well, does this look like one...

2hot6ft2
November 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Y'all are too funny...lmao

Keep it alive I would like to see the end result of this.:lolflag:

KIAaze
November 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM

This is a stupid thing to do.
The ".gz" extension means it's compressed using gzip, so if you want to extract it with "tar", you have to use the "-z" option.

Of course, if you use file-roller, it will do so automatically.
But for the sake of command-line users, please don't remove .gz unless you know it's not gzipped. ;)

@aschwerin.moses:
How did you do this?
It looks pretty cool.

Considering all the contributions this thread is starting to get, it may be necessary to create a projet for it. :lolflag:

aschwerin.moses
November 26th, 2008, 04:29 AM
The ".gz" extension means it's compressed using gzip, so if you want to extract it with "tar", you have to use the "-z" option.

But for the sake of command-line users, please don't remove .gz unless you know it's not gzipped. ;)

@aschwerin.moses:
How did you do this?
It looks pretty cool.

Considering all the contributions this thread is starting to get, it may be necessary to create a projet for it. :lolflag:
Oh.. its really easy..
- install screenlets, use the terminal screenlet
- Arranged all terminal screenlets on the desktop.. made the terminal look transparent and changed the font colour and font
- The top left one is the TERMINAL
- Top right one is midnight commanger (sudo apt-get install mc)
- Bottom right is finch (sudo apt-get install finch)
- Bottom center one is CPLAY (sudo apt-get install cplay)
- Bottom left one is CMATRIX screensaver (sudo apt-get install cmatrix)

just tweek them accordingly.. and u get this...

poetstorm
November 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, what a cool thread. Makes we want to play around with GIMP and Photoshop again. I used the matrix screen once, you know the one with the vertical green text. I did a radial zoom and made it blue. It looks awesome in my opinion but now I want to see if I can design somethnig better. :)

BLTicklemonster
November 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
So, you're obv removing READMEs as well huh?

Um... why would I do that? Why would you assume I did? There's a readme file in the stuff I extracted, and I read it. I just have no earthly idea what he means when he says path. If I'd removed the readme, why would I have asked him the question I asked him?

BLTicklemonster
November 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM

It's not a stupid thing to do, get off your horse. I found a way to circumvent a problem I ran into without coming in here and bothering anyone with a thread asking how it's done. Yes, I did search the forums back when I first encountered the problem, no I found no help on the topic.

lukjad
November 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Suscribing to this thread. :p

Raynman37
December 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, if you want a CIA login screen, I made one to download here:

http://raynman37.deviantart.com/art/CIA-GDM-Theme-107470282

Also, if anyone is really good at making GDM themes, I'd love to talk to you to see what kind of things a login screen can do.

jdm2
January 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the login screen.

foo_bar
January 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I just finished this setup today. I was going for a hacker-y futuristic look.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6691/finalby2.th.gif (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalby2.gif)

deandude1196
January 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm a NOOB to Ubuntu. I want to get a FBI Hack type screen that when I move my mouse to a corner and hit the ___ key then I want it to come up and look like im hacking the FBI. NOOB to computers (UBUNTU) Easy directions plz??

cardinals_fan
January 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a NOOB to Ubuntu. I want to get a FBI Hack type screen that when I move my mouse to a corner and hit the ___ key then I want it to come up and look like im hacking the FBI. NOOB to computers (UBUNTU) Easy directions plz??
What?

jimi_hendrix
January 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

gives directions on on the first page...the guy with the halokitty avatar gives them...you will need to ask someone about the scripts though...

lukjad
January 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Gotta love this thread.

KIAaze
January 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM

1)Install brightside:

sudo apt-get install brightside

->Mission difficulty: easy

2)Configure brightside to launch one of the many "hacking simulators" available in this thread or this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386

->Mission difficulty: medium

3)Optional mission: Play Uplink (http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/). :)

deandude1196
January 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
1)install brightside:

->mission difficulty: Easy

2)configure brightside to launch one of the many "hacking simulators" available in this thread or this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386

->mission difficulty: Medium

3)optional mission: Play uplink (http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/). :)

what???

jimi_hendrix
January 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
what do you not understand?

deandude1196
January 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
1)Install brightside:

->Mission difficulty: easy

2)Configure brightside to launch one of the many "hacking simulators" available in this thread or this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386

->Mission difficulty: medium

3)Optional mission: Play Uplink (http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/). :)

where does brightside save to??

cardinals_fan
January 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM
where does right side save to??
Brightside is an application. I've never used it, but I imagine that it can be launched with "brightside" in the Alt-F2 run box or from a command line.

deandude1196
January 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Brightside is an application. I've never used it, but I imagine that it can be launched with "brightside" in the Alt-F2 run box or from a command line.

Wont run

cardinals_fan
January 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Wont run
Do you get an error message?

aschwerin.moses
January 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6691/finalby2.th.gif (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalby2.gif)

more details please...

deandude1196
January 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Do you get an error message?

No my computer just does nothing

jimi_hendrix
January 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
its working...it just runs in the background...you need to find out how to configure it

crazyness003
January 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM

as *.moses said: moar info plz.

Also, i've been playig around with all the scripts ('cept for the ruby one) and I gotta say: :lolflag:
I still wanna make my own. But Im too busy not doing it.

KIAaze
January 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
No my computer just does nothing

Brightside is just an application to be able to run specifioc applications when you move your mouse into a corner:
http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-linux-download/add-screen-actions-with-brightside-263508.php
http://ubuntu-8-1.blogspot.com/2008/07/install-brightside-mouse-effects-in.html

Be careful about conflicts with desktop effects shortcuts.

Look in System>Preferences for the configuration GUI.

The idea is to launch one of the hacker simulation scripts by moving a mouse to the edge of the screen.

what???
As for the "mission" stuff, I was just having some fun converting a howto into uplink-style missions. :)
(altough if I had wanted to use uplink mission difficulty terms, it would have been Uber-Skilled, Experienced, etc)

If you have problems getting one of the scripts to work, just ask.

Here's a detailed howto for the first script:
1) Download oo.zip from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470386
2)

unzip oo.zip
cd oo
./script_main.sh 10

Replace "10" with the number of operations you want to run.

From the readme:

./script_main.sh <number of actions>

The <number of actions> argument is how many bogus "actions" you want the script to dump out. This can be from 1 to (whatever). I tested it with 99, and it takes from 30min to an hour to run its course, since it opens sub-consoles and progress meters that also take additional time to do things. So, with that in mind, you can scale the action count up or down as you see fit.

NOTE ... There really isn't a "quit" command, so you'll just have to go to the main console/terminal you kicked it off in and CTRL+C to manually break it. Then, manually click the close button on each sub-console (any progress gui's will auto-kill themselves).

Thelasko
January 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
http://images.gideontech.com/img/top_10_worst_tech_in_film_jurassic01.jpg
You know the program shown in this image actually exists. It's called fsn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn) and it has an open source clone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_System_Visualizer). Unfortunately, it looks like it hasn't been maintained in almost 10 years.

sha-
March 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I just got fsn to work, it is really cool actually...
Totally useless though, but you can really impress your windows-using friends

k2t0f12d
March 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
This is UNIX...I know this...

jimi_hendrix
March 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
This is UNIX...I know this...

that is only tied by a line in one tv crime show (CSI i think) where a character says something about making some program to find a criminal in VB

BLTicklemonster
March 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM

Going to drive myself crazy trying to install it on a 64 bit machine later. Been a while since I have been in the "room", so yeah, I guess trying to install that ought to do it...

Thelasko
March 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM

Mind walking us through the process?

BLTicklemonster
March 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I found tdfsb and checked it out.

sudo aptitude install tdfsb

then run it with

tdfsb

press h for help once in screen so you see what buttons do what.

f brings it to full screen.

Arrow buttons work well to navigate.

Then there's that confusing as all get out looking glass ...

Thelasko
March 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

I know what I'm doing later. :D

BLTicklemonster
March 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I know what I'm doing later. :D

:) it's a bit tricky, not useful, but it's an interesting diversion nonetheless. If you have you mouse dpi set with locomo or whatever, you need to be slow and methodical. Use the mouse to look around, and the arrows to navigate. If you go into a directory that has many images in it, wait a while for tdfsb to "warp", then check out the images. It's pretty cool. For some reason, though, it comes up on the back of the images, you'll need to "walk" around to the other side of your directory...

DraikX
May 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
that is only tied by a line in one tv crime show (CSI i think) where a character says something about making some program to find a criminal in VB

Yep, and here is the YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to create GUIs for TTY with GIMP.

zeller
May 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yep, and here is the YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to create GUIs for TTY with GIMP.

And the result would apparently look something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GD4ehJ25o&feature=related

Hilarious!

Sealbhach
May 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM

then run it with

tdfsb

press h for help once in screen so you see what buttons do what.

f brings it to full screen.

Arrow buttons work well to navigate.

Wow!!! Just tried this out, it's amazing! It's a weird Tron-like experience. If you fly into one of the whiter spheres it brings you into the folder it reperesents. You see stuff like this:

http://garbledzombie.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/snapshot1.png

Warpnow
May 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
You guys overcomplicated this, all you need is a simple bash script with echos and sleeps set to run on a cron.

#!/bin/bash

clear
echo "tw1@tw1:~$ activate_operation_overkill"
sleep 1
echo "Scaling Resources....Done!"
sleep 1
echo "Initializing Process...100%"
sleep 1
echo "Orbiter......................Online"
sleep 1
echo "Scanning Mainframes..................................."
sleep 1
echo "Isolating DeltaX............................................"
sleep 1
echo "Attempting Aegis Protocol............................"
sleep 1
echo "Hostiles detected...................neutralizing..."
sleep 3
echo "Back-Door detected......................................"

PurposeOfReason
May 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Lol at the picture of the matrix (post 1). Who really keeps port 22 open for ssh? If you do you deserve to be attacked.

KIAaze
May 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Lol at the picture of the matrix (post 1). Who really keeps port 22 open for ssh? If you do you deserve to be attacked.
You need to be able to ssh into the real-world PC from within the matrix to get out of it.

If the robots had left port 22 closed, Neo would never have gotten out of the matrix. :P

Thelasko
May 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Wow!!! Just tried this out, it's amazing! It's a weird Tron-like experience. If you fly into one of the whiter spheres it brings you into the folder it reperesents. You see stuff like this:

I'm really impressed at how small and fast that program is.

Raynman37
June 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
That was a really surreal experience using tdfsb. I've never been able to tell someone "Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you."

HeadHunter00
November 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
This thread is hilarious.
LOL, I know eh! You can find some techi style themes on gnome-looks.org

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I wrote some python scripts to run random matrix looking stuff in my console. I mostly did it to plat a joke on my friend. All it does is display text with the illusion of intelligence. When I finish them, I will display them for review if desired.

dragos240
November 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You could get into a terminal with ctrl + alt + F1 - F6 (Unless your on fedora, in which, you'll have F2 - F6. If you use BASH (You haven't changed the default), you can do this:

setterm -foreground green -background black

markp1989
November 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You guys overcomplicated this, all you need is a simple bash script with echos and sleeps set to run on a cron.

#!/bin/bash

clear
echo "tw1@tw1:~$ activate_operation_overkill"
sleep 1
echo "Scaling Resources....Done!"
sleep 1
echo "Initializing Process...100%"
sleep 1
echo "Orbiter......................Online"
sleep 1
echo "Scanning Mainframes..................................."
sleep 1
echo "Isolating DeltaX............................................"
sleep 1
echo "Attempting Aegis Protocol............................"
sleep 1
echo "Hostiles detected...................neutralizing..."
sleep 3
echo "Back-Door detected......................................"

thats all i did in post 111 http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6245227&postcount=111 simple but looks affective.

dragos240
November 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
You could get into a terminal with ctrl + alt + F1 - F6 (Unless your on fedora, in which, you'll have F2 - F6. If you use BASH (You haven't changed the default), you can do this:

setterm -foreground green -background black

Silly repost.

KIAaze
November 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Since this thread has been brought up again, here's another user interface alternative:
http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/index.html

Link to the other one for those who missed it:
http://www.determinate.net/webdata/seg/tdfsb.html

Silly repost.
What was the purpose of this?

NightwishFan
December 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
That looks like the weird UNIX interface on the Jurassic park movie.

earthpigg
December 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
That looks like the weird UNIX interface on the Jurassic park movie.

i take it you haven't been following the discussion? :D :D

NightwishFan
December 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
You took it.

earthpigg
December 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM
want it back, or can i keep it?

Thelasko
January 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Slashdot (http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/10/01/24/1821248/Designing-the-Computer-UIs-In-Movies) has an article related to this topic.

Junkieman
January 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
This thread is great, read it from the OP :lolflag:

A tiling window manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_window_manager#X_Window_System) would be pretty ideal for displaying scripts, Awesome (http://awesome.naquadah.org/) is one I tried before, very neat.

Takes a little getting used to tiling WM's, but the best for ultimate window positioning :)

HACKER1993
July 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM
one I made does nothing malicious but does download folders so make of it what you will :D

#/bin/sh

echo "Beginning Trace"
echo "Now Tracing"
sleep 1
(echo "10" ; sleep 1
echo "# Checking For Dial Tone" ; sleep 1
echo "20" ; sleep 1
echo "# Authenticating DNS Server" ; sleep 1
echo "50" ; sleep 1
echo "# Rerouting IP Address" ; sleep 1
echo "75" ; sleep 1
echo "# Configuring Tools" ; sleep 1
echo "100" ; sleep 1
) |
# taking the messages and piping them to zenity to progress bar
zenity --progress --auto-close
sleep 2
zenity --info --text "Trace Complete"
sleep 5
echo "Acquiring Target"
# all connected ip to this computer and there hops and route to get here
ip route
sleep 30
echo "Scaning Ports"
# scans curent connections to this machine
route
sleep 20
#changes to Desktop to ensure that files are oin plain view of the user
cd Desktop
#googles logo history page
echo "Downloading Payload"
wget --recursive \
--quiet \
--page-requisites \
--html-extension \
--convert-links \
--restrict-file-names=windows \
--domains website.org \
--no-parent \
http://www.google.com/logos/
# fake SQL Message
echo "Injecting SQL Control Code"
echo "01001000" "01000001" "01000011" "01001011" "01000101" "01000100"
sleep 30
#rm'ing the www.google.com folder from desktop
echo "Cleaning Up Used Files"
sleep 10
rm -r www.google.com
echo "Now Exit"

Script Warlock
November 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM
hehehe im making fun of oo scripts.. nice one.