PDA

View Full Version : Some question about :Ubuntu:

overcast
June 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I don't know if all the questions are answerable here or not,But i m keeping my fingers crossed that i can get my answers here.

Q.1] HI there i m new to ubuntu i requested for the Ubuntu CD,(last 3 days.i.e.Sunday) i dont know status of my request.i know it will take 2-3 week for shipping.but is there any way i can understand if i m listed within there shipping list.How can i find the stats?where can i contact for the CD's?

Q.2] I m good at Graphic design & Music composing.If you want i can show some of stuff on the web.I want to contribute to Ubuntu.How can i become member and how can send my stuff to ubuntu.i have seen it is hard to contribute to gnome.org or kde.org there is also very little help provided for newbies to get involved into community.Where i can ask for improvements,suggestions?

Q.3] I have not got my Ubuntu CD yet,Also my computer is not conected to internet.So i can't download ISO.So is there any way i can check that Ubuntu distro have Kdevelop package in it.Since i learned QT,it is very hard to live without Kdevelop.I really hate that Mepis distro is not packed for any develp package,Only python,tcl-tk & Some non-regular stuff is there.I think ubuntu is also having affinity towards python right.If Ubuntu is also loose with developers side then pls tell the package maintainers to include QT designer kit & Kedevelop in thier archieve.Pls tell me if ubuntu carries Kdevelop.

Q.4]You know Contributing/Joining open source comunities are really like walking on alone stree cause Most of the time if you ask questionover lists forums,You will get insulted or Being ignored.This happens with most of the leading distros.I dont how i m being treated here.but is ubuntu care for newbies,New Developers or users?

CoriolisSTORM
June 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Well, this is a great forum for answering all your questions. They will try their hardest to work with you and help your problems, being new here myself, it is quite an open community. However, I dont know enough about it to answer your questions. And there are some periods in the day where this forum is not too active, but dont take that as being ignored. Again, welcome.

Kvark
June 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Q.2] I m good at Graphic design & Music composing.If you want i can show some of stuff on the web.I want to contribute to Ubuntu.How can i become member and how can send my stuff to ubuntu.i have seen it is hard to contribute to gnome.org or kde.org there is also very little help provided for newbies to get involved into community.Where i can ask for improvements,suggestions?

My plan is to start with answering questions here in this forum, when you are semi new to ubuntu then you can help people who are entirely new (so people see you are helpful). Then join ubuntu related irc channels to answer questions there. And to talk to people higher up the foodchain (who have seen you help people and generally be a nice guy). Eventually maybe some work will come my way.

Q.3] I have not got my Ubuntu CD yet,Also my computer is not conected to internet.So i can't download ISO.

Ubuntu comes with only 1 CD, which means you are expected to download most of the packages you want. A distro that comes with as many CDs as possible is probably better if you don't have broadband. You could get the DVD or download packages somewhere else and burn on a CD.

You won't get far with just the install CD. Everything works right out of the box and all the major programs (openoffice etc) are there but some programs you want will be missing from the inital install.

Q.4]You know Contributing/Joining open source comunities are really like walking on alone stree cause Most of the time if you ask questionover lists forums,You will get insulted or Being ignored.This happens with most of the leading distros.I dont how i m being treated here.but is ubuntu care for newbies,New Developers or users?

Take a look in the Absolute Beginner Talk (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73) section and judge for yourself how newbies are treated here.

UbuWu
June 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Q.3] I have not got my Ubuntu CD yet,Also my computer is not conected to internet.So i can't download ISO.So is there any way i can check that Ubuntu distro have Kdevelop package in it.Since i learned QT,it is very hard to live without Kdevelop.I really hate that Mepis distro is not packed for any develp package,Only python,tcl-tk & Some non-regular stuff is there.I think ubuntu is also having affinity towards python right.If Ubuntu is also loose with developers side then pls tell the package maintainers to include QT designer kit & Kedevelop in thier archieve.Pls tell me if ubuntu carries Kdevelop.

Kdevelop and QT designer are not included on the cd or dvd. They can be downloaded from the repositories, but that can be difficult if you don't have an internet connection.

Big Venus
June 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
And from what I have seen over the few weeks that I was just scoping out the forums and all, the people are really helpful in most situations...

poofyhairguy
June 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM
First let me say welcome.

Well...for creative types this forum was made:

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/

We definately have it. But...well....like most of our software its in the online repo. I might get put in my place for being so frank...but Ubuntu is kinda a broadband OS. Read this here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=211139&postcount=3

Well...we try to be really nice around here. We are building a repuation as a nice community. I personally help out new users all day.

As far as Ubuntu's target market....I would say intermediate computer user. You have to set up some things yourself at first, but there isn't the continuous editing of config files like in Gentoo. Its harder than Linspire, but easier than plain Debian. We like to have developers, but unlike other Linux's we don't have development tools (even a compiler) installed out of the box- you have to download these things.

I hope I have given you honest and helpful answers, and I hope you enjoy your stay here.