PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Postal Service took my Ubuntu cds.

Eddie Wilson
May 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
My heart has been broken. I had ordered some 7.04 cds from Shipit and waited for weeks for them. While I was waiting I picked up 7.04 from my ISP so I could go ahead and use it. The Shipit cds were mainly for people wanting to try out Ubuntu. The package came the other day and it was empty. It had been opened and then taped up. It was stamped, "Damaged by US Postal Service" and "Contents not Delivered". No letter or anything came from the postal service. I hope Shipit will let me order some more. I think the postal service wanted to keep them for themselves.
Have a Nice Day,
Eddie

FuturePilot
May 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
That's horrible. Sorry to hear about this. Maybe they thought they were pirated versions of Windows :lolflag:
Or maybe they like Ubuntu too:p

Omnios
May 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Try ordering some more as a custom order and make a comment that the previos package came damaged and empty.

PriceChild
May 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Try ordering some more as a custom order and make a comment that the previos package came damaged and empty.That'd definitely the best plan.

If I were you I would also get in contact with your postal service and start a ruckus! How would they know it was damaged unless they looked inside in the first place? The postal service isn't customs.

saulgoode
May 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
If I were you I would also get in contact with your postal service and start a ruckus! How would they know it was damaged unless they looked inside in the first place? The postal service isn't customs.

The CDs were probably shipped as Media Mail (which is significantly cheaper than First Class) and Media Mail is subject to inspection by the USPS. Of course, the inspection should not result in loss of the contents (it is really just intended to verify that the contents are indeed some form of media) and an inquiry into the occurrence is certainly warranted.

Sunflower1970
May 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
On the plus side, at least no money was spent on these. But, as already mentioned, contact the post office, and get in touch with a supervisor/manager and raise a stink. Imagine if that had been something you had bought and had found the package empty.

PriceChild
May 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
On the plus side, at least no money was spent on these.Nothing's free in this world. Canonical paid for it.

Sunflower1970
May 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Nothing's free in this world. Canonical paid for it.

Yes, but the OP didn't spend any money on it, which is what I was referring to :)

Ebuntor
May 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
I think the postal service wanted to keep them for themselves.

Very understandable, got to keep a close eye on those Ubuntu cd's nowadays, I mean who wouldn't want one?
Now I think about it I usually carry a few in my backpack, better watch my back from now on. ;)

Eddie Wilson
May 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the posts. I do think that some kind of answer to what happened is warranted. Also I will order some more from Shipit using custom order and state the problems I had with with the last shipment.
Thanks,
Eddie

UbLnoy
May 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
It just got damaged in the machines. You may be able to file a claim.

EdThaSlayer
May 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Sue them. Always works.

MontanaMax
May 23rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
I suspect that an accident happened with one of the automated mail processing machines that ripped open the package and the contents were lost inside the machine or in shipping between destinations. As soon as a worker notices the package was opened or jammed in a machine, they would have taken it aside, taped it up, and stamped it like you received it. These folks are very serious about their mail security, but sometimes accidents happen.

smoker
May 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I suspect that an accident happened with one of the automated mail processing machines that ripped open the package and the contents were lost inside the machine

do these machines use a windows OS by any chance?:-)

Shay Stephens
May 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM

Oohhhhh a conspiracy of epic proportions hehehe

smoker
May 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE][Oohhhhh a conspiracy of epic proportions hehehe/QUOTE]

could be a new form of DRM (destroy, rip, & mangle)! :-)

MontanaMax
May 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Umm... some of them do - there are probably 7 or 8 different OS's running around on various systems - including some RedHat - not sure about any other Linux's

Eddie Wilson
May 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE][Oohhhhh a conspiracy of epic proportions hehehe/QUOTE]

could be a new form of DRM (destroy, rip, & mangle)! :-)

Oh God!!! I love that.=D>

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I say go to your local post office and create a fracas until they download and burn a live CD for you.