PDA

View Full Version : The Laptop dilemma

nocturn
June 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
<rant>
I'm going crazy trying to find a laptop to replace my desktop. I have spend one month searching and selecting machines and either the hardware/support is no good or it does not Work with Linux (or is just way to expensive).

Then I finally select one that looks perfect, a HP Pavilion zv5474EA (marginally withing budget, Amd64, 15.4", Nvidia card). I mail the store that has it on their site to place my order....
No longer available, replaced with the zv6000 series which is faster and cheaper, but comes with an ATI card (and is reported to not work with Linux).

I never expected it would be that difficult to find a lappy that is penguin friendly (apart from getting an MS license shoved). I have been running Linux for 8 years, exclusively for 6 and I never had much problems with hardware.
</rant>

Disclaimer: I'm not blaming Linux for this, I just wish that vendors would make some effort to make their stuff work with Linux. Nvidia cards would go a long way for now.
I'm also limited to suppliers in my own country (Belgium) because we have a unique kind of Azerty keyboard (be2-azerty).

sapo
June 29th, 2005, 01:24 PM
here we have a neighbour country called paraguay you all know wich country is it..

Every piece of hardware that i have came from there.. withou taxes :roll:

So.. here we dont depend on stores.. we just ask somebody to bring anything from there :grin:

nocturn
June 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
So.. here we dont depend on stores.. we just ask somebody to bring anything from there :grin:

If it wasn't for the silly Belgian keyboard, I could go to the Netherlands (only 15km from my home). But they use Qwerty. I can get used to Qwerty pretty easy (I used to work there), but at work, I have Azerty and switching is a pain.

Takis
June 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere on these forums that HP was actually shipping a customised version of Ubuntu to work with some of its products...

Maybe you should contact HP and see what they recommend? I'm always very impressed at their enthusiasm for OSS support.

Edit: You know what is possibly an idea as well - if a bit of extra effort, though - buy a QWERTY-based laptop and attach one of your regional keyboards to it. Not sure how well it'd work but if all else fails...

nocturn
June 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere on these forums that HP was actually shipping a customised version of Ubuntu to work with some of its products...

Maybe you should contact HP and see what they recommend? I'm always very impressed at their enthusiasm for OSS support.

I mailed them about that, this is coming but there is no timeline whatsoever, and the systems are from their professional line (aimed at companies). So no widescreen, lower video cards etc at rather high prices.

Edit: You know what is possibly an idea as well - if a bit of extra effort, though - buy a QWERTY-based laptop and attach one of your regional keyboards to it. Not sure how well it'd work but if all else fails...

Yeah, I'm actually considering this too (I have a nice wireless keyboard at home).

WildTangent
June 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I'm actually considering this too (I have a nice wireless keyboard at home).
i think what he meant was to take the laptops keyboard out, and replace it with a regional one. fairly easy to do, you just need to get the regional keyboard for whichever laptop you get

-Wild

poofyhairguy
June 29th, 2005, 09:37 PM

Sounds like a good idea. My US Toshibas kick ass for their Linux support.

nocturn
June 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I've been looking in the Netherlands too, and no dice. I think it's gone.

Why do all those brands go for ATI cards instead of Nvidia (even as an option)?

Takis
July 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
i think what he meant was to take the laptops keyboard out, and replace it with a regional one. fairly easy to do, you just need to get the regional keyboard for whichever laptop you get

-Wild
Nah dude I actually meant plugging one in (or using a wireless, whatever). The two keyboards are likely to send different signals for the same symbol (e.g. a UK keyboard interpreter reads '~' when you hit '#' on a US keyboard) so there's potentially a lot of trouble involved with that.

nocturn
July 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I'm holding my breath now.

I found one store (out of the 20-30 I contacted) who says they can get it.
They are ordering it from another store on the other side of my country that still has 1 unit left...

I'm paying 200 € over my original budget, but I think this machine will play nice with Ubuntu...

minio
July 5th, 2005, 12:16 AM
What was your original budget? There is asus A6K with amd64 and nvidia card around 1100 €, which looks like it should be compatible with linux and also some acer's around or under the same price should work with linux (but not with 64-bit linux version)

nocturn
July 5th, 2005, 07:35 AM
What was your original budget? There is asus A6K with amd64 and nvidia card around 1100 €, which looks like it should be compatible with linux and also some acer's around or under the same price should work with linux (but not with 64-bit linux version)

My budget was 1200 €.
The Acer was on my list (Aspire 152x), but Acer support in the Benelux seems horrible, even with the extended warranty.

I saw a couple of Asus machines, but none with Nvidia cards (they are on the Asus site, but not in the stores over here). I'm also very hesitant to by Asus from former experience (http://unixmafia.port5.com/news/00211001.html)

nocturn
August 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
To end this thread, I got my machine!

It is working very well. I have a few issues (the backlight not turning off and hibernate does not work), but overall it is doing great. Most hardware worked out of the box, except the wireless (needed ndiswrapper) and the cardreader (not functional).

Now, If I'd get the backlight turned of on DPMS and hibernate working, I'll be extremely happy :-)