PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot

Gaerrent
May 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Do you dual boot, and if, why?

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I m curious to see what answer you have.

(And since Im asking, then I also should answer my own question. So, no I dont. One of the main reasons I use ubuntu is to get rid of the Microsoft monopoly.)

koshatnik
May 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
On my works laptop yes, because I need filemaker.

On my home laptop, no. Its just linux.

shinythings
May 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
I have XP next to Feisty on my personal laptop for Europa Universalis, Football Manager and stats packages (Lisrel, SPSS, etc). Haven't seen it in weeks though, no time for games at the moment.

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
I have two computers, one with Vista, one with Ubuntu. The Vista computer needed its box, which was better than Ubuntu's. Since Ubuntu was better on a lesser machine, I really wanted it with my other computer, so I removed the hard drive and installed it on my other computer. So I have two computers, one with two hard drives, Ubuntu as master, and Vista as slave. (Don't you like the terms?)

The other computer is still useful and on the KVM switch. I use many operating systems with it, primarily Knoppix on a USB Flash Drive. I find it also more useful than Vista, interesting.

AndyCooll
May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
No, I don't dual-boot

The only reason I needed to dual-boot was for Football Manager. Since it isn't a graphics intensive game I was then able to move my copy of XP over to a VMware image and play it in that. However, a few months ago I finally worked out how to get it running under Wine. Yey!

:cool:

karellen
May 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
yes, because of:
- yahoo messenger;
- google talk;
- office 2007;
- dreamweaver;
- paint.net;

Cloudedbrains
May 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I use XP alongside Ubuntu as I have games and applications that wont run on Ubuntu ;)