PDA

View Full Version : Why Epiphany Can't Replace Firefox (For Me)

mrgnash
May 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
1. It has a bug which is a hold-over from the FF 1.5 days, where attempting to save a picture you have already opened (and cached) in the browser to your desktop or some other location results in the picture being downloaded all over again.

2. Tab states are erratic. Sometimes they are restored from the previous session, sometimes they aren't -- I haven't been able to discern any logical pattern behind this. The default behaviour of FF to only restore tab states when the application closes unexpectedly is annoying, but at least a little tweaking of the about:config allows the user to specify a more sensible behaviour; if that is also possible with regard to Epiphany, I am unaware of the solution.

3. Opening links in a new window. This one really frustrates me because I have a thing about lots of windows cluttering up the place... I just want to close them, rather than giving their contents the attention they deserve :P Once again, FF's default behaviour in this regard is ludicrous, but can be corrected (at least in current versions) through a simple foray into the appropriate configuration dialogue. This is not so in Epiphany.

Now I wish it were otherwise, because I do like a lot of things about Epiphany -- the fact that it's written in GTK2, its resistance to crashing, integration with the Gnome Desktop, etc. etc. But until these flaws are addressed, I'll be sticking with the flaming vermin :(

prizrak
May 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
The biggest reason Epiphany can't replace FF for me is the fact that it won't %*%*ing start for the past month. Well I uninstalled it already.

Once again, FF's default behaviour in this regard is ludicrous, but can be corrected (at least in current versions) through a simple foray into the appropriate configuration dialogue. This is not so in Epiphany.

Dude HOW? Despite having chosen to open all links in new tabs instead of new windows FF STILL opens it in new windows. It doesn't just suck because of the clatter but I get the "black window" bug :(

Dragonbite
May 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Epiphany's alright for me, though I don't see any real difference between it and Firefox except I put all of the extensions into Firefox.

Galeon, though, I found very unstable. At least after it crashes, when you go back it asks if you want to resume the sessions before it crashed.

mrgnash
May 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
The biggest reason Epiphany can't replace FF for me is the fact that it won't %*%*ing start for the past month. Well I uninstalled it already.

Dude HOW? Despite having chosen to open all links in new tabs instead of new windows FF STILL opens it in new windows. It doesn't just suck because of the clatter but I get the "black window" bug :(

I feel your pain on this one actually, Firefox always used to do that for me as well, until the version that came with Feisty. Before that, I had to use Gran Paradiso (FF3) in order to get it to behave itself in this respect. I still use Gran Paradiso now, but for different reasons.... uhhh, so other than recommending that to you, I don't know.

zugu
May 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
3. Opening links in a new window. This one really frustrates me because I have a thing about lots of windows cluttering up the place... I find it amazing that no fanboi hurried to let you know "that's why you have multiple desktops in GNOME/KDE" :)

I really know how annoying is this specific "feature" of Epiphany can be.

Mateo
May 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I recently started using Epiphany full time. None of the problems you had are important to me. The one problem I don't like is this:

1) If your internet is down and you then start epiphany, it locks up. In Firefox it simply unsuccessfully tries to load your homepage. You can then use the browser to get into your router. but with Epiphany it simply locks up.

Mateo
May 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Epiphany's alright for me, though I don't see any real difference between it and Firefox except I put all of the extensions into Firefox.

Galeon, though, I found very unstable. At least after it crashes, when you go back it asks if you want to resume the sessions before it crashed.

when epiphany crashes it asks if you want to restore the session.

Mateo
May 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
I find it amazing that no fanboi hurried to let you know "that's why you have multiple desktops in GNOME/KDE" :)

I really know how annoying is this specific "feature" of Epiphany can be.

I didn't understand this one. What do you mean? Links don't open in new windows for me...

Ptero-4
May 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
AFAIK. links open in new windows when the target in the link is set to open in new window. Since this is a JS specific behavior, it will show up in stock firefox as well as in epiphany. Only with the appropiate extension it gets fixed.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
AFAIK. links open in new windows when the target in the link is set to open in new window. Since this is a JS specific behavior, it will show up in stock firefox as well as in epiphany. Only with the appropiate extension it gets fixed.
Tab Mix Plus works for me.

prizrak
May 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM

There is an option in Firefox where you can choose whether you want a link that is supposed to open in a new window to open in a new tab instead. This used to work very well for me in 1.5 and below but in Feisty's 2.0 it does not.

Mateo
May 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Ohh I see. Does it stop you from right clicking and choosing open in new tab for these special links?

prizrak
May 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Ohh I see. Does it stop you from right clicking and choosing open in new tab for these special links?

Not at all, middle clicking will also open them in a tab. It's just an annoyance really, mostly because it worked well previously.