PDA

View Full Version : new to linux

kaosrave
May 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
hello,
im new to the whole Linux, and i wanted to try ubuntu. I may be a noob at this so theres no need to bash me. I'm just curious about some issues before i actually install ubuntu. I am a gamer so i was jsut wondering if the many online gamews i play will work on ubunutu, and the many diffferent software i use as well. How different is Ubuntu from XP?

benanzo
May 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Welcome!
(Don't worry about people bashing you for being new, we all started somewhere. If you get bashed, it's their problem, not yours.)

Onto your questions:

First, games. This is, unfortunately, a sore spot for Linux/Mac in general. Not very many commercial game developers make the effort to develop cross-platform. While this excludes them from accessing Linux/Mac marketshare, this offers other developers who are willing a good opportunity to innovate in whatever direction they see fit. Over the years we have seen some impressive titles come to Linux built on various open-source engines.

For specific titles and projects, I'd refer you to http://icculus.org/

There is also the possibility of running some commercial games for Windows in emulation via WINE http://www.winehq.org/

This is a very common method of playing popular games.

As to the overall similarities/differences between Linux (specifically Ubuntu) and Windows XP...

There are many of both. First, it is in your best interest to approach Ubuntu as something entirely different than Windows. A major problem many newcomers to the Linux world come across is that they perceive Linux (Ubuntu) to be a cheap Windows. This is not the case. If you want Windows, then stay with Windows. Ubuntu is it's own diamond/beast. It differs from Windows firstly by it's price. Ubuntu is free. It is different in many ways, most of which you'll realize when you install and start using it. It does things differently that you might be used to. A major area is the process of installing/uninstalling software. We use "repositories" from which we can query and automatically install literally thousands of applications. Most people can't live without this system once they get used to it.

Good Luck!

WalmartSniperLX
May 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
I would have to say benanzo gave the best answer for you so Im not going to direct my post to your questions. However I do want to say Welcome to Linux and Welcome to Ubuntu. :D If you need help with anything always feel free to post it. Everyone here is always willing to help a newcomer.

Spr0k3t
May 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Well, since noone has stepped up to the plate of bashing this newb... looks like I have to.

Bash is a terminal of sorts... great for scripting and other functionality of the whole Linux environment.

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask any question you may have... it's the fastest way to learn.

reclusivemonkey
May 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
My advice; keep your Windows partition for games. Try Ubuntu for everything else. This way you have the best of both worlds.

aroch1
May 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
I like it Spr0k3t!

Flump5000
May 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Frozen Bubble is a pretty cool game:

copy-paste this into terminal: apt-get install frozen-bubble

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I am a gamer so i was [sic] jsut wondering if the many [sic]online gamews i play will work on ubunutu...

Online games will run much easier, if you have problems, search the forum for the specific game, you'll find more information

...and the many [sic]diffferent software i use as well.

By different software, do you mean the specific software, or the software's function. Linux has thousands of free programs, and makes most commercial software useless.

Common apps: For Office needs, OpenOffice.org, my experience is that it is superior to everything else, it comes with Ubuntu, for Internet browsing, Firefox, comes with Ubuntu

How different is Ubuntu from XP?

Ubuntu and Linux in general can be very close to XP and very different. Linux is more stable, and more secure, and I find it much better once you get used to it. Linux is its own entirely independent operating system. It is NOT Windows.

Linux can be close to Windows, http://www.linux-xp.com/ has such a distro, if you want xpishness. (Like that word? I just made it up:) )

You can use many distros live, so you can test them without installing.

If you are concerned with bashing, I wouldn't worry. People come here new all the time, I came in recently myself. I never saw bashing in any significant form, if you do see it, report the post. (Windows seems to take most of the bashing, but try to keep that to a minimum)

mips
May 23rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
To the OP,

Your question is very vague.

1. List the games you play ?
2. List the applications you use ?

When you tell us the above we would be able to give you more information on what will work & what will not work, for those that don't work we can suggest alternatives.

tcpip4lyfe
May 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Frozen Bubble is a pretty cool game:

copy-paste this into terminal: apt-get install frozen-bubble

So addicting.