PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Advice

parradux
May 23rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
I need to buy a new laptop, and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've narrowed down my choices between the new santa rosa chipsets, these being the: d630, d830, and or T61. I'am not an avid gamer, and do like the idea of a longer battery life so an integrated graphics card is a would be a preferred choice, but I would also like to be able to run SC2 (permitting I can emulate it using cedega).

Now some vital information. I will be taking this thing to be to school every single day, along with a couple of hardcover textbooks, so I need it to be durable. I am also willing to spend up to 1800 CAD with tax.

So if you guys can help me make an informed decision on my next purchase, I would be greatful.

syxbit
May 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
you don't make sense
you say you want integrated gf, but want to play SC2 (which I assume is Starcraft 2)
you'll want at least a low end dedicated for that

parradux
May 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
The graphics card is preferred, however, it doesnt have to be integrated. The reason I wanted it was to have a longer battery life.

I've looked at some of the benchmarks of the new x3100 from Intel, and it doesnt seem that bad, thats the only reason I suggested it. How does it compare to the NVS 140 in terms of power?

mips
May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
The graphics card is preferred, however, it doesnt have to be integrated. The reason I wanted it was to have a longer battery life.

I've looked at some of the benchmarks of the new x3100 from Intel, and it doesnt seem that bad, thats the only reason I suggested it. How does it compare to the NVS 140 in terms of power?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=443904

If you want "robust/durable" then get the Thinkpad, cannot beat them for durability.

The above link has some links to benchmarks. The nvs140 is much more powerfull than the x3100 although the x3100 will run most things just fine.

FRuMMaGe
May 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I need to buy a new laptop, and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've narrowed down my choices between the new santa rosa chipsets, these being the: d630, d830, and or T61. I'am not an avid gamer, and do like the idea of a longer battery life so an integrated graphics card is a would be a preferred choice, but I would also like to be able to run SC2 (permitting I can emulate it using cedega).

Now some vital information. I will be taking this thing to be to school every single day, along with a couple of hardcover textbooks, so I need it to be durable. I am also willing to spend up to 1800 CAD with tax.

So if you guys can help me make an informed decision on my next purchase, I would be greatful.

If you dont mind not having windows, try and get a No-OS laptop. This generally cuts about $200 off of the price.

reidbold
May 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yo, I just got a T61. You can get one for right at 1800 cdn w/tax and shipping. First impressions are:
+amazing looking screen, no imperfections
+sturdy case
-tons of vista crap that is taking me hours to clean up

I'm just sort of assuming ubuntu will work fine :P but I haven't had a chance to try yet. So far the vista partition resizer is only giving me 40 gb of linux space out of 105 gb. Vista alone takes up 17 gb, after uninstalling a bunch of stuff.

mips
May 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Yo, I just got a T61.

Did you get the one with the Intel X3100 or nVidia NV140 GFX ???

Could you please provide some LINUX benchmark figures on the gfx if you get a chance, especially if it is the X3100.

Overall impression once you have Ubuntu installed ould also be nice.

maniacmusician
May 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Did you get the one with the Intel X3100 or nVidia NV140 GFX ???

Could you please provide some LINUX benchmark figures on the gfx if you get a chance, especially if it is the X3100.

Overall impression once you have Ubuntu installed ould also be nice.
+1000

reidbold
May 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Went with the nvs. I tried two livecd's, 6.04 installed, but no networking (hard or wireless). 7.04 crashes with that

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) _

error. So I installed gentoo instead. :p With the 2007.0 cd hard networking works. I'm having problems getting x running, ah fun with gentoo.

The beta nvidia drivers don't seem to support my card yet :(

gus6464
May 26th, 2007, 03:41 AM
You should have gone with the X3100 graphics and intel wireless card. The dell wireless cards come with broadcom chipsets which are harder to set up. The NVS 140 isnt that greater of a performer than the X3100. Plus intel has new drivers coming out in june for the X3100 that will enable new features and better speed.

reidbold
May 26th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I got the intel n wireless.

For games, the x3100 will be a slouch, and produce much worse visuals in comparison nvs.

About the yet to come drivers, yes the will actually have vertex shading, a first for intel! nvidia has had this for years. I'll stick with the proven guns this time.. Perhaps time will prove me wrong.

RAV TUX
May 26th, 2007, 05:48 AM

If you buy a laptop, don't cut corners, I am going to buy the Fujitsu LifeBook T4215. (http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4215)

After seeing how nice my wifes Fujitsu LifeBook T4210 is I realize there should be no compromise in quality. If price is not an option and you can afford the best I highly recommend a Fujitsu LifeBook T4215 (http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4215).

Model
T4215

Key Specifications
Processor
IntelŪ Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
IntelŪ Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
IntelŪCore™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2 GHz , 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
IntelŪ Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16 GHz , 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Chipset
IntelŪ 945GM
Memory
Two DIMM slots; max 4 GB, 200-pin SO-DIMM, DDR2 667 MHz with dual channel support
Display
LCD
12.1" XGA TFT indoor (Transmissive) display with wide viewing angles;
12.1" XGA TFT indoor/outdoor (Transmissive) display with wide viewing angles;
12.1" SXGA+ TFT indoor (Transmissive) display
Video Controller
IntelŪ Graphics Media Accelerator 950; Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) responds to application requirements and efficiently allocates the proper amount of system memory (up to 224 MB) for optimal graphics and system performance.
Resolution
Maximum internal display resolution: 1024x768, 16M colors;
External monitor resolution: 1600x1200, 16M colors;
Simultaneous display resolution: 1024 x 768
Digitzer
Electromagnetic (Active)
Hard Drive2 120 GB, 100 GB, 80 GB, 60 GB, or 40 GB; 5400 rpm; Serial-ATA 150; shock-mounted; two-level password protection; Shock Sensor Utility locks the hard drive when detecting sudden impact, freefall, or vibration (must install this application from the included CD)
Optical Drive Options include:
Modular Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer
2.4x DVD-R/+R DL, 8x DVD-R/+R, 4x DVD-RW/+RW, 3x DVD-RAM, 8x DVD-ROM, 24x CD-R, 10x CD-RW, 24x CD-ROM or
Modular DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
8x DVD-ROM, 10x CD-RW, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-ROM or
Modular DVD-ROM Drive
8x DVD-ROM, 24x CD-ROM Audio
SigmaTel STAC9228X5T AC’97-compliant codec with 20-bit audio; built-in dual array digital microphones with IntelliSonic™ noise cancellation and echo suppression software Communication
Multinational3 56K4 V.90 modem; 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Communication

IntelŪ PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (Tri-mode 802.11a/b/g) or
Atheros Super AGŪ Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g); Wi-FiŪ certified; dual diversity antennas.
Optional Bluetooth (v2.0) Personal Area Network (PAN) for file transfer and data synchronization with other Bluetooth devices
User Interfaces
82-key keyboard, spill-resistant; touch pad with left, right, and scroll buttons

Ports
Three USB 2.0, Infrared port (IrDA 1.1-compatible, 4 Mbps), External monitor/VGA, modem (RJ-11), Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45), SD/Memory Stick PRO slot, docking connector, headphone/line-out/optical digital (SPDIF) jack, and microphone/line-in jack Card Slots
One Type I/II PCMCIA slot, 32-bit PC CardBus architecture;
One Smart Card slot;
One shared slot for Memory StickŪ, Memory Stick PRO™, or Secure Digital (SD) card
Security LifeBook Application/Security panel
AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor with TruePrint Technology; 15cm/sec slide speed
Trusted Platform Module (TPM), TCG 1.2-compliant
Dedicated Smart Card slot
Hard drive and BIOS passwords
BIOS support for Computrace/LoJack Theft recovery system (Service required)
Security lock slot
Battery Life5
Main battery: Lithium ion (6-cell, 10.8V, 5200 mAh, 56.16 WHr)
Modular Bay battery: Lithium ion (6-cell, 10.8V, 3800 mAh, 41 WHr)
Bridge battery for warm swapping of primary battery
XGA model: up to 6 hrs with main battery; up to 10 hrs using both main and modular bay battery
AC Adapter
Autosensing 100-240V AC, 80W, supplying 19V DC, 3.15A
Dimensions and Weight
11.5" x 9.3" x 1.1/1.4"; approx. 4.3 lbs. with weight saver Operating Temperature 41°F to 95°F / 5°C to 35°C (ambient temperature); 20% to 85% relative humidity, non-condensing Non-operating Temperature 5°F to 140°F/-15°C to 60°C, 8% to 85% relative humidity; non-condensing

Key Accessories Port Replicator: Power/Suspend/Resume button, four USB 2.0, external video, DVI-D, modem (RJ-11), Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45), docking connector, audio line-out
For a full list of accessories, visit www.shopfujitsu.com (http://www.shopfujitsu.com/) or call 1-800-FUJITSU Compliance & Service Information
Compliance
FCC Part 15B Class B and FCC Part 15C; IC ICES-003 Class B and RSS-210
UL-cUL Listed
FCC Part 68; IC CS-03
CE Marking
ENERGY STARŪ
Warranty6 One-or three-year International Limited Warranty on select corporate configurations; 24/7 technical support; Fujitsu extended service plans available.http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/www/products_notebooks.shtml?products/notebooks/tech_specs/t4215V_ts

See the gallery of Fujitsu LifeBook T4215 pictures:
http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/www/products_notebooks.shtml?products/notebooks/photo_gal/gal_t4215#

Compare all Fujitsu LifeBooks Here:
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/xbproductcompare.do

parradux
May 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Whats the consensus on wither the x3100 will be able to handle any upcoming games on mediocre graphic settings? I'm liking the 1+ battery hour increase with the x3100 rather then with the NVS 140.

If the x3100 wont be able to handle anything, i'd get the nvs 140 and just buy another battery later if I really need it.

reidbold
May 27th, 2007, 03:07 AM
For me, battery life was less important than graphics, so I went with the nvs. It was also $150 cheaper, so it made the decision easier. But also, the x3100 could prove to be faster, some day.

So I got 7.04 running! I had to set the SATA to a compatibility setting in the bios. Also a correction, the beta drivers to support my card, I was looking at the wrong drivers.