PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Ubuntu

Phlosten
May 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Howdy all,

I am sitting here considering reinstalling Ubuntu on my machines after I ditched it a little while back due to being annoyed with Feisty problems and a little annoyed at the direction that i thought Ubuntu development was taking.

When I ditched I went to Debian as I didnt really like anything else. I want something that just works but I felt like Ubuntu was running so fast that it was tripping over it's own feet, but Debian is sort of in the opposite direction in slowly plodding along. Debian is great for servers, but when it comes to desktops and needing some newer apps that fix problems that are not considered 'bugs' then it becomes painful. So I feel like I am stuck between both ends of the spectrum.

My dilemma is whether I am ready to take on Feisty again, or should I just go back to Edgy or Dapper and wait for the next Ubuntu in hope that it becomes more aligned with what I had in mind? Or is there something else that can be suggested from peoples out there?

Am I the only one concerned with the direction of Ubuntu? ie the jam packed full of extras, but at the expense of some useful stability?

juxtaposed
May 23rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I want something that just works but I felt like Ubuntu was running so fast that it was tripping over it's own feet, but Debian is sort of in the opposite direction in slowly plodding along.

FIrst time i've heard that one.

I'm on debian and I find it to be better then ubuntu for speed, though ubuntu is better for new users to linux.

My dilemma is whether I am ready to take on Feisty again, or should I just go back to Edgy or Dapper and wait for the next Ubuntu in hope that it becomes more aligned with what I had in mind? Or is there something else that can be suggested from peoples out there?

I have only used Hoary, Breezy, and Feisty (so I know little about dapper and edgy), but I thought feisty was pretty good (big improvements since breezy).

I wonder what the general reception of dapper was. I think I remember there being alot of excitement before it came out.

Am I the only one concerned with the direction of Ubuntu? ie the jam packed full of extras, but at the expense of some useful stability?

I've never had problems with ubuntu's stability, I think the main thing people don't like about jamming it packed full of extras is the loss of speed.

Phlosten
May 23rd, 2007, 02:59 AM
but Debian is sort of in the opposite direction in slowly plodding along.

That was more directed at the slow pace of development (ie as in time between releases, the usual), rather than the speed at which it runs. The speed is one of the reasons why I like Debian so. I do tend to prefer the build it up approach rather than the here have it all, get rid of what you dont want approach.

I expected to see some more response to my post *shrug*. I just fixed a little niggly problem with my Debian install which increased some performance aspects so it looks like Debian will be staying for a little while longer now. I still recommend Ubuntu for new users though.