PDA

View Full Version : The Dell - Ubuntu PC website

cyberkoa
May 23rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Dell has launched a web page for this

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It seems like Dell is still "grouping" Ubuntu with FreeDos as an open source series of product , instead of putting as an option in the Operating System to allow users to choose.

Hopefully, ubuntu will be an option beside Windows , when customer online order the model in near future

maniacmusician
May 23rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
It seems like Dell is still "grouping" Ubuntu with FreeDos as an open source series of product , instead of putting as an option in the Operating System to allow users to choose.

Am I missing something? Where does it say that?

cyberkoa
May 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Am I missing something? Where does it say that?

sorry .., I forget to mention that I got this link after using "Ubuntu" as keyword to search at dell.com homepage, and it "was" 1 of the 2 "Recommended Link" . In the recommended link, this link has the description sounds "Dell Open source series with preinstalled Ubuntu & FreeDos ..." , that y I concluded that.

However, today I do the same search it does not appear as recommended link anymore ! No more in the search result !?

Could it be the MS's OEM strategy that "allow" OEM to sell presintalled Linux but not "help to promote" Linux ?

:evil:

DoctorMO
May 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
The internal memos at Microsoft advise OEMs to meet Linux demand but to never encourage it.

Ocxic
May 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
i went to the link and it has a big picture of a computer with the ubuntu logo on the screen and big letter beside it saying "coming soon by popular demand."

Cows
May 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Same thing for me but I did check the Available OS for a desktop PC and it only shows Windows :(.

ndefontenay
May 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah me too.

But I saw this picture last month already.

The only difference is that there was no enrollment button below the last time I went there.

Flump5000
May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
I heard from digg that there wont be as many ubuntu pc's available as the windows pc's, but the ubuntu ones will cost a lot less. kind of stupid since id probably pay more for ubuntu than vista or xp. I also read that the CEO (or president idk) of Dell uses ubuntu on his own pc.

Cows
May 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
LMFAO!! how ironic? but don't tell dell that man :). The lower and better the computer cost the more people will buy it :P, plus i might even buy a dell computer in the future, but thats unlikely since i usually like to make my own PC.