PDA

View Full Version : Debian KDE vs Net Install

Sand Lee
May 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Does anyone know the differences between intalling the Debian KDE offered on the Debian site and just using Net Install to install KDE?

Pobega
May 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Debian KDE install installs the newest KDE when the .iso file was put together. So it may be a bit outdated (I know KDE is being updated in Debian Sid pretty soon, within the next week probably).

If you net install KDE you'll get the newest version. So you can burn the CD today, and install in a year, and it will pull in the newest package instead of the one on the CD.

juxtaposed
May 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
(I know KDE is being updated in Debian Sid pretty soon, within the next week probably).

To my knowledge, KDE on Sid is 3.5.7, and KDE on Lenny is 3.5.5.

plb
May 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
yep, sid has 3.5.7 for a couple of days now. :D Oh pobego sorry I missed the meeting it was my gf's bday on the 21st...I forgot to tell you..how was it?

Pobega
May 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
yep, sid has 3.5.7 for a couple of days now. :D Oh pobego sorry I missed the meeting it was my gf's bday on the 21st...I forgot to tell you..how was it?

Nobody showed up but me, my friend Nick, and John. I think the next meeting is the 25th or 28th of next month, I forget. Just e-mail John and tell him to add you to the list, I'll e-mail you John's e-mail address.

webmonkey44
June 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
The KDE cd is better because one can install a working install first then update.

kerry_s
June 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
i would keep 1 of each, i use the net installer most of the time. i run a lenny/sid system so there's always a chance something can go wrong, like the update today, so i use the installcd, xfce4 version in my case, to revert back should a update screw something. the installcd has the debs, which saves from having to download.

webmonkey44
June 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
i would keep 1 of each, i use the net installer most of the time. i run a lenny/sid system so there's always a chance something can go wrong, like the update today, so i use the installcd, xfce4 version in my case, to revert back should a update screw something. the installcd has the debs, which saves from having to download.

good idea.