PDA

View Full Version : System76 Gazelle Performance VS Apple MacBook 2GHz

user1397
May 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
If you compare these two computers, and match them up with roughly the same specifications, the gazelle performance is actually MORE expensive than the macbook.

This particularly amazes me, because apple is known for selling "high quality" products for much more than they're worth, and yet here it is cheaper than a computer with a free operating system.

I do understand that small vendors can't compete with the crazy low deals that huge companies like dell and hp have on the computers, because of all the software that companies put on their systems make the price lower...

But not being able to compete with apple on pricing? C'mon! As far as I know, neither system 76 nor apple sell their computers with trial programs and the like.

Try it yourself (try to customize the gazelle to the same specs as the macbook):

Gazelle performance: http://system76.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/192

Macbook: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=520F94DC&node=home/macbook/macbook

To note: I chose the gazelle performance because it is the only one with a built-in camera option. As the macbook naturally has a built-in camera, I thought this was the correct course to take.

Also to note: This post is just kinda a heads up type thing...take it as a news item.
i.e. don't start a flame war.

Rhox
May 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Before anyone says something really stupid: notice that you need to customize the System76 computer before you can compare.

user1397
May 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Before anyone says something really stupid: notice that you need to customize the System76 computer before you can compare.Ah yes, thanks for noting that, I'll add it at the top.

Mathiasdm
May 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
The reason is actually quite simple: System76 is small, while Apple is large.

Volume drives down prices... a LOT!

use a name
May 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
The reason is actually quite simple: System76 is small, while Apple is large.

Volume drives down prices... a LOT!

The Macbook is smaller and weights less. The battery of the Macbook is said to work twice as long as well. So, I don't get it either.

Mathiasdm
May 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not talking about the size of the computer, I'm talking about the size of the companies :p ;)

use a name
May 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not talking about the size of the computer, I'm talking about the size of the companies :p ;)
Ah, well, I could have figured.. LOL

Syke
May 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Shortly after being added to our product line, our 17" laptop became our biggest seller. Now we're ready to expand to a 14" model. It will be finalized in the next week or two. Here's a preview of one possible configuration, similar to the machines listed above:

Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz)
2 GB ram (DDR2-667)
160 GB Hard Drive (5400 rpm)
14" LCD (1440x900)
Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 with 128MB ram
CD-RW / DVD-RW

$1336

What do you think?

saulgoode
May 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Before anyone says something really stupid: notice that you need to customize the System76 computer before you can compare.

Would it be considered really stupid to note that the System 76 computer offers the option to customize? The MacBook Pro is competitive price-wise if its capabilities provide a precise fit to your needs. However, if you in some areas can get by with less or in others require more then you quickly run into a situation where you are paying for functionality you do not want.

For example, 'tis my understanding that the Intel Core2 Duo processor in the MacBook Pro is soldered directly to the PCB. And while it is indeed currently a top-of-line Intel offering and Apple is probably able to pass on a volume discount of $50-100 by not offering alternatives, some more conscientious buyers might prefer the option of one of the Intel models offering different capabilities... perhaps applying the $500 saved towards enhancements that are more beneficial to their usage demands (more memory, faster or larger harddrive, better peripherals). A wise buyer might consider that a year or two from now, they could pick up a Merom processor for much less than its current $700 price tag; or perhaps upgrade to whatever leading-edge processor Intel offers at that time. I would presume that, unlike the MacBook Pro, the System 76 does offer this option of upgrading your computer in a manner that takes advantage of market trends.

There is a similar lack of choice provided for other components in Apple's offerings; and though Apple may be competitive when compared with matching systems of other providers, the risk remains that the buyer will be forced to purchase functionality he neither wants nor needs.

Adamant1988
May 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
If you compare these two computers, and match them up with roughly the same specifications, the gazelle performance is actually MORE expensive than the macbook.

This particularly amazes me, because apple is known for selling "high quality" products for much more than they're worth, and yet here it is cheaper than a computer with a free operating system.

I do understand that small vendors can't compete with the crazy low deals that huge companies like dell and hp have on the computers, because of all the software that companies put on their systems make the price lower...

But not being able to compete with apple on pricing? C'mon! As far as I know, neither system 76 nor apple sell their computers with trial programs and the like.

Try it yourself (try to customize the gazelle to the same specs as the macbook):

Gazelle performance: http://system76.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/192

Macbook: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=520F94DC&node=home/macbook/macbook

To note: I chose the gazelle performance because it is the only one with a built-in camera option. As the macbook naturally has a built-in camera, I thought this was the correct course to take.

Also to note: This post is just kinda a heads up type thing...take it as a news item.
i.e. don't start a flame war.
Actually, sir, MacBook pricing is very competitive with your typical brands... a comparable laptop to what you get instead of Apple's MackBook would be roughly the same price or MORE. This is true with their desktop systems too... find a system with the exact same specs for a lesser price- you won't.

mips
May 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
System76 has never been cheap, they are actually friggin expensive if you ask me.

arbulus
May 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
I agree that system76 is pretty expensive. Not that I don't give them a great deal of respect for what they do, because I think it's wonderful, and I'm reallly glad that there's a company out there doing what they do. But price-wise, they're fairly steep. I've customized machines there and compared a comparably spec'd machine at other sites like Dell, Apple, etc., and have always found system76 to be considerably higher.

But like was pointed out before, volume of sales probably has a lot to do with the prices.

dca
May 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Volume has everything to do with price.

Look at it this way, there really is no interchangability (I made that one up and patenting it!) in components on an Apple system. It is built to spec w/ each component rigourously tested. With that kind of volume, we only buy one or two types of wireless cards, only offer mobos with a few variations of processors. All these factors come into play. Not to mention, when you're riding high on the share prices because of the iPod success...

EdThaSlayer
May 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
The System76 Gazelle sounds pretty cool. I would buy it over a Apple laptop anyday. The problem is that it can only be bought in the US and not Europe.

AusIV4
May 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Actually, sir, MacBook pricing is very competitive with your typical brands... a comparable laptop to what you get instead of Apple's MackBook would be roughly the same price or MORE. This is true with their desktop systems too... find a system with the exact same specs for a lesser price- you won't.

It's true that Apple computers are inexpensive for the quality of the components you get, but I find that with Apple, you get more than you need. For example, the lowest processor you can get in a MacBook is a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. The smallest hard drive is 80 GB. The minimal RAM is 1.0 GB. They all come with DVI ports - if you want to use it with typical monitor, you need another adapter. Every Mac (with the possible exception of the MacPro) comes with a Media Remote. I believe they also all come with Bluetooth.

For lots of people, that's overkill. I bought the most basic System76 Gazelle for $649. It had a 1.6 Ghz Celeron M, 512 GB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, a VGA port, no Bluetooth and no remote. That's all I needed. If I'd needed a computer with the specs of a Macbook, that probably would have been the cheapest option, but for lots of people it's severe overkill.

Yes, Macs are competitively priced, but in order to say they aren't expensive there would need to be some lower end models.

spockrock
May 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
I would like to point out that the system76 has a larger screen 14" vs 13" and you get a nvidia 7300Go vs Intel GMA 950, which would cost more...... Though apples notebooks are really well priced.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
I would like to point out that the system76 has a larger screen 14" vs 13" and you get a nvidia 7300Go vs Intel GMA 950, which would cost more...... Though apples notebooks are really well priced.
Don't smaller screens usually cost more (for whatever strange reason)?

user1397
May 24th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Don't smaller screens usually cost more (for whatever strange reason)?The only plausible reason I can think of is more "portability"

user1397
May 24th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Hmm, yea looking around, I guess you're right. But I think it's just the fact that apple is pushing all this new hardware on their new generations of macs, that they have all these really fair prices.

At least as I remember it, the macbooks used to be more expensive than their respective counter parts (like back when it still had a core duo processor

jperez
May 24th, 2007, 01:20 AM
The only plausible reason I can think of is more "portability"

Good answer. I don't think the S76 stuff is that expensive when compared to other manufactures prices, but I'll probably never need one. I've got the know how to build my own system (desktop/laptop) and install Ubuntu with it, so I'm good...now if I only had the money for the parts. >_>

Jesse~

Adamant1988
May 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM
It's true that Apple computers are inexpensive for the quality of the components you get, but I find that with Apple, you get more than you need. For example, the lowest processor you can get in a MacBook is a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. The smallest hard drive is 80 GB. The minimal RAM is 1.0 GB. They all come with DVI ports - if you want to use it with typical monitor, you need another adapter. Every Mac (with the possible exception of the MacPro) comes with a Media Remote. I believe they also all come with Bluetooth.

For lots of people, that's overkill. I bought the most basic System76 Gazelle for $649. It had a 1.6 Ghz Celeron M, 512 GB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, a VGA port, no Bluetooth and no remote. That's all I needed. If I'd needed a computer with the specs of a Macbook, that probably would have been the cheapest option, but for lots of people it's severe overkill.

Yes, Macs are competitively priced, but in order to say they aren't expensive there would need to be some lower end models.

Now, this is absolutely true. The pricing is competitive, but the average user may not want or need such horsepower behind their desktop. However, media creators and tech fans all flock to systems with high-end specs like those Apple systems. We just don't see that in Linux communities because often times we don't add extra to our systems... we're just happy the basics work.