PDA

View Full Version : I Had No Idea KDE Could Look This Good

Happy_Man
May 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession. I have completely fallen in love with KDE - or rather, what KDE can do. I am typing this from a PCLinuxOS LiveCD, and let me tell you, it's one of the most beautiful KDE desktops I've seen. Ever. Never mind that this distro doesn't have sudo, never mind that I can't install anything as easily as I could before with a simple apt-get command, never mind that I have to relearn what little I know of a terminal, I'm gonna install this anyway. Because it's slick. It's smooth. And it looks damn good.

Kubuntu is left in the dust compared to this. No, even lower than dust; the mud. I haven't tried SuSE or Fedora, or one of those other big KDE distros, (and mind you, I probably will after this), but I think I'll stay with PCLinuxOS. Kubuntu has the default K icon, the default icon theme, the default everything except the name. That's pathetic. If this is what a REAL KDE desktop looks like, I'm staying with KDE forever. Because, comapred to GNOME, KDE is god. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is where it's at, but I think I'll leave for a bit, take a journey, see more of the world of Linux. So, goodbye, for now, Ubuntu. We'll meet again, someday.

Most likely when I break something important.

Iarwain ben-adar
May 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Screenie? :D

Iarwain

karellen
May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
congratulations. seems you've find the holy grail in a theme...
I guess we can be called a happy man
;)

PrimoTurbo
May 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah I heard is another distro very newbie friendly, did you get PCLinuxOS 2007 Final? I'm downloading it now also to test.

Post a screenshot.

juxtaposed
May 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
. Kubuntu has the default K icon, the default icon theme, the default everything except the name.

Someone on the debian forums critisized kubuntu for customizing the desktop too much, and not giving the default KDE look, oddly enough.

I recently switched to KDE. I don't like the look of the windows and stuff (plus i've found less good themes for it), but it loads everything faster and seems to just go faster.

awakatanka
May 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
never mind that I can't install anything as easily as I could before with a simple apt-get command,

In beta the apt-get was working with RPM, is it out pclinuxos now?

Mateo
May 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/v/pclos2007b2/

:shrug: looks like typical KDE to me.

ep2011
May 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
... You do know you can change how Kubuntu looks?

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession. I have completely fallen in love with KDE - or rather, what KDE can do. I am typing this from a PCLinuxOS LiveCD, and let me tell you, it's one of the most beautiful KDE desktops I've seen. Ever. Never mind that this distro doesn't have sudo, never mind that I can't install anything as easily as I could before with a simple apt-get command, never mind that I have to relearn what little I know of a terminal, I'm gonna install this anyway. Because it's slick. It's smooth. And it looks damn good.

Kubuntu is left in the dust compared to this. No, even lower than dust; the mud. I haven't tried SuSE or Fedora, or one of those other big KDE distros, (and mind you, I probably will after this), but I think I'll stay with PCLinuxOS. Kubuntu has the default K icon, the default icon theme, the default everything except the name. That's pathetic. If this is what a REAL KDE desktop looks like, I'm staying with KDE forever. Because, comapred to GNOME, KDE is god. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is where it's at, but I think I'll leave for a bit, take a journey, see more of the world of Linux. So, goodbye, for now, Ubuntu. We'll meet again, someday.

Most likely when I break something important.
I'm happy for you :)

but just so you know, kubuntu can be made to look that way as well. Personally, I agree that Kubuntu should have a better look by default; but I'm no artist when it comes to stuff like computer graphics, so I can't really help with that.

I use it because it's the most convenient and I just love apt.

lzfy
May 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well PCLS looks good by default but Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, with all the advantages of lot's of available packages and community supoort. Plus you can make Kubuntu or any KDE distro look the way you want it. And yeah I agree with you, KDE RocKs! : )

Happy_Man
May 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah... I like PCLinuxOS, but until I can figure out why my sound card won't work, back to Ubuntu for me! Besides, Beryl wouldn't work either... yet it does just fine here. :confused:

@awakatanka
Hmmm... I'm not sure, haven't really tested CLI package management...using Synaptic for now.

Maybe I'll post a screenshot later, once I improve this theme, add some customizations, etc.

jeffc313
May 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
looks smooth, nothing that i would use if my soundcard doesnt work, though. All I can say is that for eyecandy, nothing beats e17. try out elive and you wont be gloating about PCLinuxOS

Ebuntor
May 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Maybe I'll post a screenshot later, once I improve this theme, add some customizations, etc.

I'm looking forward to it. :) Looking at the screens Mateo provided it doesn't look very special. In fact my Gnome desktop looks almost identical at the moment (including Beryl).

Anyway congrats with finding your perfect desktop. :D

ThinkBuntu
May 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
If by looking good, you mean looking like windows...

I'll pass.

Luggy
May 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/v/pclos2007b2/

:shrug: looks like typical KDE to me.

I agree. Typical ugly KDE.

P_Badger
May 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I've not been a fan of how ms windows looks, so I'm not too enthused by how pclinuxos looks, either.

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
I hate it when people start spewing crap about how KDE is/looks like windows. Just because the default setup has a single panel at the bottom with some similarly placed buttons, that means absolutely nothing. It's a breeze to change and it takes all of 5 minutes to get an alternate, good looking setup.

For example, this is what I had a couple of months ago. Since then I've changed the themes and wallpaper, but the panel placement is basically the same: http://www.cutlersoftware.com/UnderstandingUbuntu/images/stl/STL_scrn_desktop.jpg (all my panels are on autohide so they take up no space at all unless I need them)

How much like Windows does that look? The default KDE only looks the way it does is because that's how it was originally created. It's hardly a big deal to move some panels around and add stuff that you want. I'm serious; it doesn't even take 5 minutes.

Luggy
May 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
I hate it when people start spewing crap about how KDE is/looks like windows. Just because the default setup has a single panel at the bottom with some similarly placed buttons, that means absolutely nothing. It's a breeze to change and it takes all of 5 minutes to get an alternate, good looking setup.

For example, this is what I had a couple of months ago. Since then I've changed the themes and wallpaper, but the panel placement is basically the same: http://www.cutlersoftware.com/UnderstandingUbuntu/images/stl/STL_scrn_desktop.jpg (all my panels are on autohide so they take up no space at all unless I need them)

How much like Windows does that look? The default KDE only looks the way it does is because that's how it was originally created. It's hardly a big deal to move some panels around and add stuff that you want. I'm serious; it doesn't even take 5 minutes.

Still looks like typical ugly KDE.:p

P_Badger
May 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
I hate it when people start spewing crap about how KDE is/looks like windows.

Hey, don't get angry, and congrats on changing the look of your kde, etc.

OP was creaming his pants over how awesome pclos looks NOW, and was dumping on ubuntu/kubuntu, and the point is that it REALLY looks like ms windows. If he posted going on about how his os looks like, say, YOUR desktop, I'd be all like, "WOW!! That sure looks NOTHING like ms windows!" (Well, probably not, but I wouldn't say it looks like windows.)

Ebuntor
May 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM

maniacmusician, those cpu monitors, temperature monitors and that weather panel, do all those come standard in KDE?

maniacmusician
May 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Hey, don't get angry, and congrats on changing the look of your kde, etc.

OP was creaming his pants over how awesome pclos looks NOW, and was dumping on ubuntu/kubuntu, and the point is that it REALLY looks like ms windows. If he posted going on about how his os looks like, say, YOUR desktop, I'd be all like, "WOW!! That sure looks NOTHING like ms windows!" (Well, probably not, but I wouldn't say it looks like windows.)
Sorry, the 'KDE looks like Windows' comments get a bit frustrating after a while. KDE looks like whatever you want it to look like; same with gnome.

maniacmusician, those cpu monitors, temperature monitors and that weather panel, do all those come standard in KDE?
no, they're called Karambas. To use them, you install superkaramba from the repos (sudo apt-get install superkaramba) and you can download the actual applets from http://www.kde-look.org . you just download them and open them in Superkarmba, and that's it. no messy installations or anything.

My favorite part about them is that they have very easy to read XML settings files (I'd never read one before and I figured it out pretty quickly) that you can mess around with to change the look of the applet and the information it displays.

Ebuntor
May 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
no, they're called Karambas. To use them, you install superkaramba from the repos (sudo apt-get install superkaramba) and you can download the actual applets from http://www.kde-look.org . you just download them and open them in Superkarmba, and that's it. no messy installations or anything.

My favorite part about them is that they have very easy to read XML settings files (I'd never read one before and I figured it out pretty quickly) that you can mess around with to change the look of the applet and the information it displays.

Sounds like an improved version of gDesklets. I used it for quite some time but you have to "build" those panels yourself from small parts, I always hated that. And once you wanted to move a panel it was an absolute nightmare. :?

This program sounds and looks way better. Real eyecandy.

ceelo
May 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
I actually like the Kubuntu look. That is, the Polyester style and Crystal windeco. PCLOS does look nice, but GNOME really beats KDE hands down in the looks department, IMO. Way more themes and icons to choose from (based on the respective *-look.org sites).

juxtaposed
May 23rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
I've not been a fan of how ms windows looks, so I'm not too enthused by how pclinuxos looks, either.

I don't think any DE/WM look like windows, unless you try to make it (except IceWM).

It's a breeze to change and it takes all of 5 minutes to get an alternate, good looking setup.

I don't think the default setup looks like windows. I'm using the default (for now) and it looks good, and to me, has the distinct linux desktop look (gnome to me seems more professional, maybe to be used at work or something).

Way more themes and icons to choose from (based on the respective *-look.org sites).

I certainly think gnome beats KDE in terms of customizing the window manager, theme, icons, etc.

KDE is almost always some Crystal type theme (which does look good though :P).

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I actually like the Kubuntu look. That is, the Polyester style and Crystal windeco. PCLOS does look nice, but GNOME really beats KDE hands down in the looks department, IMO. Way more themes and icons to choose from (based on the respective *-look.org sites).
No, there are actually far far fewer. Most GNOME themes are not actually separate themes, they are just different color schemes on the same theme engine. KDE lets you manipulate color separately. This is also responsible for the myth that GNOME themes are easier to install since they just require you download them. In fact, that will only work if the theme engine it uses is already installed, i.e. you are just applying a new color scheme. To get the number of "themes" in the gnome sense of the word which exist for KDE, take the number of theme engines and multiply it by the number of color schemes. One thing KDE has always had for it is a huge community of developers and artists. A far larger percentage contribute.

P.S. Looking at PCLinuxOS screenshots I see nothing special about the look. The modifications to the default KDE look and feel are worth about 5 minutes of work.

ThinkBuntu
May 23rd, 2007, 01:25 AM

Apparently, you've never seen PCLOS' default theme. I'm a big fan of KDE and have never considered it to be like Windows.

mrgnash
May 23rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
Still looks witheringly ugly to me.

Anthem
May 23rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Sounds like an improved version of gDesklets. I used it for quite some time but you have to "build" those panels yourself from small parts, I always hated that. And once you wanted to move a panel it was an absolute nightmare. :?

This program sounds and looks way better. Real eyecandy.
SuperKaramba was around a LONG time before gDesklets.

It's also integrated into KDE4, so applets are a built-in part of the desktop experience.

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
SuperKaramba was around a LONG time before gDesklets.

It's also integrated into KDE4, so applets are a built-in part of the desktop experience.
It's integrated into KDE right now, as a part of the kdeutils package. In KDE 4 it is being replaced with Plasma, which unifies the functionality of Kicker, KDesktop, KMenu, and SuperKaramba.

maniacmusician
May 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
It's integrated into KDE right now, as a part of the kdeutils package. In KDE 4 it is being replaced with Plasma, which unifies the functionality of Kicker, KDesktop, KMenu, and SuperKaramba.
which aaron has just started to put more work into. Can't wait to see what comes of it and the other KDE4 components.

konungursvia
May 23rd, 2007, 03:13 AM
De gustibus non est discutandum. To each his own taste, there is no arguing about it. I like OSX Aqua, Gnome, Murrine, but I also like minimal Fluxbox and stuff like that. No point arguing. KDE looks good, looks efficient and clever, but I'm not used to it. So I stick with gnome.

H.E. Pennypacker
May 23rd, 2007, 03:23 AM
If this is what a REAL KDE desktop looks like, I'm staying with KDE forever. Because, comapred to GNOME, KDE is god.

I am so uncomfortable with KDE's GUI that I had to flee Mepis. I could not STAND KDE. It's Qt toolkit drives me absolutely nuts. KDE, for the short time I used it, appeared to be great in certain ways, but as long as it continues to look like KDE, and as long as it continues to use Qt, I am staying away from it, even if it is to my detriment (e.g. lack of efficiency).

I love GTK. I am more comfortable with GTK than Windows' desktop environment, and I'd probably prefer the GTK appearance over OSX, but I can't be totally sure, because I've never seen OSX in person.

ComplexNumber
May 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM

Most likely when I break something important.i thought that PCLinux is probably the best kde distro out there. its definitely got thebest default look of all kde distros. i've been telling people this for a while now.

btw it does have sudo, but you have to set it up yourself. assuming that your username is HappyMan, just put in 'su /usr/sbin/visudo' into the terminal, press 'E', then add the following line immediately beneath where it says something like 'root....ALL=(ALL) ALL':
HappyMan......ALL=(ALL) ALL

then type ':w' o write the file. i think they are the commands anyway.

its also got a very comprehensive set of admin tools....something that ubuntu/kubuntu is sadly lacking.

btw you'll be back after you've used it day in day out and reality starts to set in. kde crashes all too often. it'll tire you out after a while.

Mateo
May 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
I don't get it. What's so different. it looks just like default KDE. What's different? Different wallpaper, different Start button... what else?

awakatanka
May 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
its also got a very comprehensive set of admin tools....something that ubuntu/kubuntu is sadly lacking.

btw you'll be back after you've used it day in day out and reality starts to set in. kde crashes all too often. it'll tire you out after a while.
Those tools are from Mandriva, pclinux is based on mandriva. Think also mandriva looks better. but with the so called "windows panel". http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/spring/explore

Really still dunno why you get so much crashes, because after almost 2 years of using it it didn't crash much. In gnome i have the same kind of crashes but i don't use it as much as kde. I must say that kubuntu has it a bit more then the other kde distro's i used. Mepis and pclinuxos are the most stable one's. Slackware based distro's where the fastest for me but they lack lots of packages.

ThinkBuntu
May 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yes, this is all opinion, but I think the best-looking KDE (regardless of who's focusing) is put out by openSUSE. This is the only distro that looks so good that I actually weigh its default theme as something that could get me to convert to it (much like OS X). However, difficult/slow/possibly broken package management in addition to running relatively slow on my computer has kept me away.

ceelo
May 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
No, there are actually far far fewer. Most GNOME themes are not actually separate themes, they are just different color schemes on the same theme engine. KDE lets you manipulate color separately. This is also responsible for the myth that GNOME themes are easier to install since they just require you download them. In fact, that will only work if the theme engine it uses is already installed, i.e. you are just applying a new color scheme. To get the number of "themes" in the gnome sense of the word which exist for KDE, take the number of theme engines and multiply it by the number of color schemes. One thing KDE has always had for it is a huge community of developers and artists. A far larger percentage contribute.

P.S. Looking at PCLinuxOS screenshots I see nothing special about the look. The modifications to the default KDE look and feel are worth about 5 minutes of work.

Most of the themes I get for GNOME are based on engines that are already installed. The only GTK engine I've ever had to install is Murrine. Meanwhile I had to install Domino, QT Curve and Polyester to get any themes for KDE. Most of the good looking themes are based on these. I generally just stick with Polyester.

davtaine
May 23rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
kde crashes all too often.

KDE crashes? ;) you funny little...:)

spockrock
May 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
gah sorry but kde is hideous.

luca.b
May 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
De gustibus non est discutandum.

Sorry to be a Latin Nazi, but it's De gustibus non est disputandum. 8P

tajmox
May 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Let me remind you of how Ubuntu can look when you put 10 minutes into it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?c=6

Mazza558
May 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I like Gnome, but its performance on my PC is hideous. Switched over to KDE and all that is over. Sure, KDE is more complicated, but IMO it looks gorgeous.

Happy_Man
May 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I like Gnome, but its performance on my PC is hideous. Switched over to KDE and all that is over. Sure, KDE is more complicated, but IMO it looks gorgeous.

Same here.

Erunno
May 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Downloaded the latest PCLinuxOS version to get a quick look at it and I must be one of the few persons who thinks that the default theme is pretty ugly, even compared to Kubuntu which doesn't win prizes in the good looks department either. But what was apparant to me even on the LiveCD is that it seems to run way faster than Kubuntu. I had the subjective feeling that working with windows felt much "snappier", applications came up quicker and redrawing didn't take as long as on Kubuntu.

Sometimes I wonder what tthe Kubuntu maintainers do to KDE... :-?

hanzomon4
May 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I lkie my sabayon setup quiet a bit. Getting use to kde isn't all that bad and it has some nice apps.

j.miller565
May 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I actually like KDE so much compared to GNOME. I especially like the default KDE theme for SUSE. All I can say is that it is just so beautiful!

floke
May 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
i started out with Gnome (ubuntu), then got into KDE after a couple of months, and couldn't understand why anyone would want to use Gnome. Then, out of curiosity, went back to Gnome and couldn't understand why anyone would use KDE! A few weeks ago, after setting up Kubuntu for my dad (converting from Win****), decided to give KDE a try; and now realise that I love them both!

PCLOS is great - haven't managed to get the HD install working right yet though. Am currently writing this on MCNLive, which I think looks great. And my default ATM is the vanilla Ubuntu human theme (fresh install a few days ago after botched PCLOS install), which I also think looks great.

I guess I'm just a happy guy :p

Happy_Man
May 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Sorry, the 'KDE looks like Windows' comments get a bit frustrating after a while. KDE looks like whatever you want it to look like; same with gnome.

Where are the config files?

maniacmusician
May 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Where are the config files?
I don't know if all Karambas have them, but when I downloaded them, I remember that I could extract them to a folder, and edit the files...hmm, I haven't done this in a while. I'll go check again.

edit: just checked again, and karambas do come in .tar.gz format. You just extract the files and edit away.

There are .theme files and .skz files, and those are the ones that are run directly by superkaramba. Don't think you can edit those. But in the folder that you extracted to, there should be other files, some of them text files which you can edit.

Happy_Man
May 25th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cool... Thanks!

mills
May 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
just booted my pclinux live cd .....very impressed!!!

i gotta say i wasnt really that impressed by ubuntu when i 1st got it (way too much brown and orange) but this would have impressed the pants of me, kde looks quality aswell (my first time with kde)

seeing as i've had to revert to edgy because of the freezes i gotta install this

its been fun guys, see ya when gutsy comes out:D

au revoir et merci

kamaboko
May 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Apparently I don't spend as much time "ewwwing and ahhhhing" over what my desktop looks like. Actually, I could care less. I'm not looking at it when I'm typing documents, watching a video, surfing the net, etc. Ubuntu is simple, runs dependably, and has enough apps to keep me going. What else matters?

siimo
May 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM
KDE is an eyesore for me! I'd rather use windows than put up with the K Desktop Environment. *ducks*

brim4brim
May 26th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have to say I agree with siimo. I use royale theme in Windows and it looks good.

KDE has always looked kind of amateur to me for some reason. Something about the edges of everything in the OS. It just doesn't seem like it fits together well.

Gnome on the other hand is perfect as far as I'm concerned and I pretty much prefer everything about the Gnome approach to desktop development look and feel over KDE, Windows and even OSX.

modestmelody
May 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM
For what it's worth, that doesn't look all that different from my GNOME setup...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/494458081_7aba85dc95_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/494457299_ed7a28fdae_b.jpg

j.miller565
May 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM
man that looks real sweet

Happy_Man
May 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Dude... your wallpaper is sweet. Where'd you get it?

hanzomon4
May 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM
i started out with Gnome (ubuntu), then got into KDE after a couple of months, and couldn't understand why anyone would want to use Gnome. Then, out of curiosity, went back to Gnome and couldn't understand why anyone would use KDE! A few weeks ago, after setting up Kubuntu for my dad (converting from Win****), decided to give KDE a try; and now realise that I love them both!

PCLOS is great - haven't managed to get the HD install working right yet though. Am currently writing this on MCNLive, which I think looks great. And my default ATM is the vanilla Ubuntu human theme (fresh install a few days ago after botched PCLOS install), which I also think looks great.

I guess I'm just a happy guy :p

Me too, happy as can be...

modestmelody
May 26th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Dude... your wallpaper is sweet. Where'd you get it?

Honestly, I don't remember. It is for dual monitors (2560x1024). PM me and I'll email you June 5th or 6th with it (I'm at my parents house until then, so I'm on my laptop not desktop).

thisllub
May 26th, 2007, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=modestmelody;2721521]For what it's worth, that doesn't look all that different from my GNOME setup...

That would be really ugly if you were replying to a thread on Open Jam.
The Amp forum is acceptable.

I am sticking with Enlightenment.

modestmelody
May 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=modestmelody;2721521]For what it's worth, that doesn't look all that different from my GNOME setup...

That would be really ugly if you were replying to a thread on Open Jam.
The Amp forum is acceptable.

I am sticking with Enlightenment.

I'm an HCAF junkie... over 8k posts...

anshuljain
June 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've used PCLinuxOS as well as Kubuntu, and for me...Kubuntu Feisty is by far the best looking distro. I don't quite like the font rendering of PCLinuxOS, the entire package lists and menu system is ripped off from Mandriva.

In Kubuntu the packages are customized, yes...try installing Kopete without installing the dreaded kdenetwork metapackage in PCLinuxOS/Mandriva..you can't. You're gonna have to install the kdenetwork metapackage which includes all kinds of crap like Korn(or is it Kron?), Kpp, Kwifi etc. I like the *extremely* sensible package selections made in Kubuntu...ranging from Kopete, Konversation, digiKam, Gwenview and of course Amarok without which any KDE (and also Linux) distro is incomplete.

One tweak i'd recommend is using mlind's font rendering package. It really is something magical and gives an awesome look to the entire screen.

-Anshul

Happy_Man
June 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
What font rendering package is this?

anshuljain
June 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
The packages are at:-

deb http://www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/ feisty fonts
deb-src http://www.telemail.fi/mlind/ubuntu/ feisty fonts

Keys:-

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 937215FF

gpg --export --armor 937215FF | sudo apt-key add -

After installing, reboot to see the effect. I use Bitstream Vera Sans with font size of 9, anti-aliasing enabled. Attached is a screenshot. Enjoy :)

visionaire
June 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
I actually use both Gnome and KDE, some weeks i use pclos and some other ubuntu
and as my GF told me to KDE, "your windows looks like comics", yeap kde looks like a bit "cartoonish" to her, i don't know if that word exists, but in spanish is "caricatura" :P

greymongrey
June 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
KDE is an eyesore for me! I'd rather use windows than put up with the K Desktop Environment. *ducks*

Gnome and KDE can be configured to look any way you want it to. The question, to me, is not how it looks but how it performs. KDE blows Gnome away for me because of Konqueror. And of course, most of the default Gnome apps, like totem and rhythm box, suck when compared to the Kaffeine and Amarok. Just my opinion, anyway.

AdamWill
June 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
In Kubuntu the packages are customized, yes...try installing Kopete without installing the dreaded kdenetwork metapackage in PCLinuxOS/Mandriva..you can't.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct.

Testing on my system:

[root@lenovo SPECS]# rpm -qa | grep kde
[root@lenovo SPECS]#

(so no KDE stuff at all is currently installed)

[root@lenovo SPECS]# urpmi kdenetwork-kopete
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
arts-1.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
discovery-kde-config-2007.1-25mdv2007.1.noarch
ia_ora-kde-kwin-1.0-17mdv2007.1.i586
jasper-1.900.1-2mdv2008.0.i586
kdebase-common-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
kdebase-ksysguardd-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
kdebase-progs-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
kdebase-servicemenu-2007-3mdv2007.0.noarch
kdebase-session-plugins-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
kdelibs-common-3.5.7-5mdv2008.0.i586
kdenetwork-common-3.5.7-3mdv2008.0.i586
kdenetwork-kopete-3.5.7-3mdv2008.0.i586
krootwarning-2007-1mdv2007.0.i586
ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-6mdv2007.1.i586
libOpenEXR4-1.4.0-2mdv2008.0.i586
libavahi-qt3_1-0.6.19-1mdv2008.0.i586
libdbus-qt-1_1-0.70-1mdv2007.1.i586
libgsmlib1-1.11-0.3mdv2007.1.i586
libkdebase4-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
libkdebase4-kate-3.5.7-2mdv2008.0.i586
libkdecore4-3.5.7-5mdv2008.0.i586
libkdenetwork2-common-3.5.7-3mdv2008.0.i586
libkdenetwork2-kopete-3.5.7-3mdv2008.0.i586
liblazy0-0.1.1-3mdv2008.0.i586
libsasl2-plug-plain-2.1.22-21mdv2007.1.i586
mandriva-kde-config-common-2007.1-25mdv2007.1.noarch
mandriva-kde-icons-1.0.4-3mdv2007.1.noarch
mdklaunchhelp-2007-1mdv2007.0.i586
Proceed with the installation of the 28 packages? (120 MB) (Y/n)

No kdenetwork metapackage: just kdenetwork-common (which contains stuff kopete *does* need) and kdenetwork-kopete. No korn, kppp, kwifi etc.

linux4909
August 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Looks like a typical KDE with a theme. And the theme sucks because it looks too much like windows, hence, pc in the distro title. why get linux to make it look like windows. pointless, IMO.

mehaga
August 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I used Ubuntu and Gnome for couple of years and although I never really liked Gnome, I learned to live with it only because I liked Ubuntu. But I kept looking for a good KDE based distro, which, sadly, KUbuntu never came to be. I heard about PCLinuxOS, but it won't install on my hardware and their release cycles suck. I tried Opensuse 10.x couple of times and ended up being disappointed every time. Until OpenSuse 11 came out...
I use KDE 4.1 which is still a bit buggy, but works for me most of the time.
Apart from E17, which isn't functional enough for me, this is the best looking desktop I've had so far. Simple, bright and easy to use.

Screenshots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32671838@N00/2796174546/

if you don't mind it looking like XP, see this one too. It's my favorite :p:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32671838@N00/2795325865/

mehaga
August 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM
OMG, I just realized I replied to a 1 year old topic :D
Damn you, linux4909 :p

mips
August 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Necromancer!