PDA

View Full Version : Expecting pricing of Dell Ubuntu desktops and laptops?

prince_alfie
May 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I was wondering what the projected price is on Dell desktops and laptops preloaded with Ubuntu. I was thinking that it would shave off $100 off the regular Windows versions?

LaRoza
May 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
I do not know for sure, but I think it will not change the price that much. I doubt Dell pays a lot for putting Windows on computers, Microsoft needs that! If people knew they had a choice, Windows would not be so widespread.

jr6676
May 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Dell said they were doing it as response to consumer requests not as a cost savings. You can order notebooks without windows now, it only saves something like $20 off the cost. So I wouldnt expect to see any price change.

prince_alfie
May 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hmm... that's too bad... I thought that windows was more akin to price gouging? :)

DR_K13
May 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
No one knows how much Dell, HP, Etc pay for windows per computer. It might be in the $10-$25 range. But microsuck will not release that info.:popcorn:

Ender Black
May 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
i would be very interested in the pricing. Not that I am going to get one, my HP Pavilion dv9000t is "teh roxxorz" but I would not be surprised if they cost the same or maybe even a little higher than a Windows box. The reason I wouldn't be surprised is there is no "Crapware" installed which allows the computer OEMs to sell their boxes for cheaper through subsidizing the manufacturing price and allowing crapware distributors a captive audience.

Notice I didn't say I expect the boxes to be more expensive with Ubuntu. I would not be surprised.

steven8
May 23rd, 2007, 04:26 AM
Hmm... that's too bad... I thought that windows was more akin to price gouging? :)

To the individual user who buys the OS boxed off the shelf. . .yes. When pre-installed, they just want as many people locked in to them as they can, so they give big companies like Dell really cheap deals to get it out there.

prince_alfie
May 23rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
To the individual user who buys the OS boxed off the shelf. . .yes. When pre-installed, they just want as many people locked in to them as they can, so they give big companies like Dell really cheap deals to get it out there.

Wow, sounds like more like hooking people into drugs than OS'es :D

bigken
May 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
ye they only pay £15 per license thats why you never get the cd's only ghost images on the hdd a pal of mine just got me windows vista ulitmate 64 and 32 bit from microsoft for
£28 its still in the box and I very much doubt it will ever leave the box