PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone Experiences ?

bored2k
June 29th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Has anyone here used this? What's your experience/opinion on it? I'm a french student who likes to find new ways to get involved with the langue. I'm not planning on starting from scratch using the Rosetta French version (I'm just 3 months away from graduating from L'Alliance Française), I just want something to practice french with. On the other hand, I am completely green on Japanese, and I've decided to start the Rosetta plan before I join a real Japanese teaching academy (One course left + Advanced french courses before I even think of starting any other language).

I will probably start using this software in about three weeks (once I'm done with this college trimester), but I'm just anxious to know what others think of this. Yesterday I played for about 10 minutes with the Japanese version and I guess it was Ok (I still remember the words onnanoko, otokonoko, zoo, eku and booru so I guess it kind of works :D !).

By the way for the people that don't know about Rosetta, they have supposedly the best technique for learning any foreign language (immersion). Rosetta has been used by millions of people on more than a 100 countries (even NASA uses this).
http://www.rosettastone.com/home

Brunellus
June 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
the only Japanese I know is stuff to do with besboru , and even that's not really Japanese.

Although I have taken to saying "sayonara homuran" instead of "walk-off homer,"* if only because the Japanese sounds so much better for the same situation.

--
*for those who don't know baseball: the home team gets to bat last in a game if they're behind. if they score the winning run, they win and the game is over. Hence, "walk-off" or "sayonara"

bored2k
June 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM
So no one here has used Rosetta ? Wow. I'm one of the few interested in foreign languages I guess.

weekend warrior
June 29th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I absolutely love learning languages, but prefer the old fashioned way - finding someone to teach me and talk to, even if it's online. I think the idea of CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) is great but for me at least there's nothing better than the personal touch.

Right now, I'd like to pick up some German because of my interest in Kanotix.

bored2k
June 29th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I absolutely love learning languages, but prefer the old fashioned way - finding someone to teach me and talk to, even if it's online. I think the idea of CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) is great but for me at least there's nothing better than the personal touch.

Right now, I'd like to pick up some German because of my interest in Kanotix.
Yes I like that too, but I'm planning on using Rosetta has a secondary learning tool. I will (If God wants, taht is) join the japanese institute once I'm done with french.