PDA

View Full Version : Dell shipping out Ubuntu, bad idea?

bitdefuser
May 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
I think Dell is going to make a huge mistake! The phone service will be overloaded and people will ask where Microsoft Word is. :p
They won't know how to do a thing.
But, that's where the customer service team makes money. :D
Linux is too complicated for most people since it requires some type of coding knowledge.
Anyways, vote on the poll and share your opinions.

Edit: It won't be soon but, sometime in the future.

akudewan
May 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I don't think its a bad idea. The first thing people will do is click on that thing that looks a bit like the "Start menu", go to Office, and select OpenOffice Word processor. :)

Sure, Dell will have to cope with the extra load in the call-centers, but that's bad for them, not us...

smoker
May 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Linux is too complicated for most people since it requires some type of coding knowledge.

my seventy year old mother is using linux! i have friends that find it difficult to tie their shoe laces, but can use linux!

and good luck to dell, i hope it is a success for them, and other pc makers follow suit, complicated or not!:-)

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
my seventy year old mother is using linux! i have friends that find it difficult to tie their shoe laces, but can use linux!

and good luck to dell, i hope it is a success for them, and other pc makers follow suit, complicated or not!:-)

Linux may be a bit hard to use when coming from Windows, but a recent study actually shows that it's much easier to start from "scratch" with Linux than it is with Windows. I remember I read that somewhere, not exactly where though.

I voted no, of course - It's 100% positive that huge companies like Dell gets their eyes up for Linux!:KS

Dragonbite
May 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think Dell is going to make a huge mistake! The phone service will be overloaded and people will ask where Microsoft Word is. :p

Their phone service will not be overloaded because people aren't going to buy it in such large droves as to make a major impact and once (if) such volume does go to those levels there will be so many articles, books and publications for the lay-man that they won't NEED to call Dell.
They as in the phone support? Highly doubt they will not be knowledgable on how to do things, even if they are going to need to take time to research... Customers? see above.
If they are going to go into this to make money, they will be using money, talent and hard workers (and probably not-too-little Linux community support) to accomplish this
I've been able to perform my tasks CLI-free (at least, the part that wasn't CLI-free wasn't DOS-free in Windows either). Also the people who are going to adopt a Dell Linux for the first few years will be either Linux-users or Power-users looking to switch, and not the "Where is Word?" crowd for a while.
I think Dell is doing a good move, and nobody said it would be easy. If it were easy, I would really worry.
Also, don't forget that kids are becoming more computer savvy. All those jokes about kids fixing or telling the parents how to use the computer and what things mean... the joke is that in many cases IT'S TRUE!

Plus, it all comes down to willingness to learn, and if Jr. gets a Linux computer from Mom and Dad because they don't want to worry about virus', malware, spyware, etc. then guess what? Jr.'s going to learn Linux (and probably a little hacking on the side ;) )!!

MOS95B
May 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
They're not forcing anyone into buying a Ubuntu laptop. it will be an option. So, most people will probably stick with what they know

P_Badger
May 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Stop spreading FUD, op, you know that's a pure lie.

jacquesvn
May 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
I think its fantastic, this may be the beginning of a new era.

Lets just hope there support teams deal with all the queries in a professional way so as not to get bad publicity. Invariably it will be "UBUNTU thats the culprit" if this happens.

But all in all a good thing ... my two cents worth ;)

BarfBag
May 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think Dell should ship a small book with each PC showing where the basics are.

newlinux
May 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
It's not like dell is known for having stellar support for the current machines and OS... If you are dell why not see how it goes? Building some good will with Linux users will probably be a good thing long term.

arbulus
May 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
No, because the people buying the Ubuntu machines will probably already be familar with the platform. Sure, a few new users are going to buy them, but they wouldn't do so if they weren't up for the change. Just like switching from Windows PC to a Mac. You accept that things will be different because it's a different OS and you prepare yourself to learn how to do things differently in the new system.

I think it's a wonderful idea to help get Linux out there on the mainstream desktop.

Sepp1
May 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Linux Is easier than windows, but i don't think that will be relevant. People are going to buy a machine with whatever OS they had on their old.
Switching OS is typically something done on an older machine, or as dual boot.
Nobody wants to buy a 1000$ computer only to find that they cant use it.................

Oh wait thats wrong. I bought a dell with Vista a month ago. Sob:(

juxtaposed
May 22nd, 2007, 03:15 PM

I know nothing about any form of coding (except a very small ammount of visual basic that isn't useful) and I get along fine in linux.

I don't see how hard it is to click Applications, then choose what you want to do. Or the other menues in gnome for settings and stuff...

I think Dell should ship a small book with each PC showing where the basics are.

That would be a good idea, just in case.

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
This is a great thing and no, Any user will be able to use it, why? Because Dell is going to install it and ensure that everything works. That's the difference between windows and linux, up until now we have had to do all of the configuring(which is dead easy now) ourselves. I just did a Virtualbox windows install and it reminded me of the Anaconda installer. Also Windows Media Player couldn't play DVDs, I had to install VLC. I never had to do this when I bought my computer from Dell because they took care of it.

Dell has said that they won't install CS codecs but Feisty makes this so easy and streaming media now works most of the time. Dell also has stated that they plan on lobbying for more hardware driver support for hardware that has crappy or non-existent linux support. This is all good as long as they deliver

ragadanga63
May 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

Obviously, this guy is not a LInux user. Duuhhh...most of the people i introduced Linux to, found it easy to use and had no trouble doing the things they do. I didn't vote on the poll, simply because the original poster is stupid and ignorant.

Barrius
May 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

Dell shipping Ubuntu is a GREAT idea!

The phones will not be overloaded - Ubuntu is not that hard to use/learn.

Dell will sell more computers - why? Because they'll be cheaper without MS Windows. They'll be easier to use (no constant barrage of prompts for permission to open some program even when you're logged in as administrator). Instead of using an OS that supports thousands of costly programs Ubuntu users can download thousands of FREE ones that are superior with few exceptions. Even on the Windows side, I've used open-source packages for years that beat 99% of the $$$$ products, and the companies are usually far more responsive.

One can use Ubuntu straight out of the box, with support for documents, spreadsheets, music and myriad other activities. With MS Windows on has to install the OS, download security updates, install anti-virus, defragmenter, anti-malware, word processing/office suite etc. If I reinstall MS too many times (according to them) then I have to call them to get permission to use software I paid for - how insane!

I can be using Ubuntu in less than an hour, a typical MS install for work takes 3-5. Now I can order machines with Ubuntu pre-installed, ready to use? Fantastic!!!! - I'll save about $600 PER PC (OS, anti-virus, office suite, license fee for client etc).

Bring 'em on Dell!

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Obviously, this guy is not a LInux user. Duuhhh...most of the people i introduced Linux to, found it easy to use and had no trouble doing the things they do. I didn't vote on the poll, simply because the original poster is stupid and ignorant.

Are you saying that the topic starter is stupid and ignorant because he expresses his own opinion?

No, it's you who are the stupid and ignorant one, my friend ;)

tehbeermang
May 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Programming?

I haven't compiled anything yet that wasn't my own creation.

If you mean editing configuration files, I'll take that over regedit any day of the week.

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I know nothing about any form of coding (except a very small ammount of visual basic that isn't useful) and I get along fine in linux.

I don't see how hard it is to click Applications, then choose what you want to do. Or the other menues in gnome for settings and stuff...

That would be a good idea, just in case.

Dell is going to have their own Wiki, especially developed for Ubuntu on Dell systems.

Read this thread; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=451388

wbsorsby
May 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Plus, it all comes down to willingness to learn, and if Jr. gets a Linux computer from Mom and Dad because they don't want to worry about virus', malware, spyware, etc. then guess what? Jr.'s going to learn Linux (and probably a little hacking on the side ;) )!!
LOL!!! I installed Ubuntu on my two teenage daughters' computers several weeks ago and haven't had a single complaint yet. The fourteen year-old couldn't wait to get it, because her machine had slowed to a crawl under Windows (the result of spy-ware). The next day after I installed Ubuntu she had already rearranged her desktop and had a new theme on it as well. I didn't even have to explain Open Office to them, they just started using it.

I also installed Beryl on both of their machines. They think it's great!

Other than taking me a few days to get the printer (old Minolta color laser) set up and operating properly, I've been amazed at just how trouble-free the transition has been. I really expected to be helping them with it constantly for a while, but NOPE. They immediately accepted Ubuntu Linux, and the OS has been operating problem free ever since.

BTW, I'm a newbie myself, having just converted over in early April of this year.

ComplexNumber
May 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Linux may be a bit hard to use when coming from Windows, but a recent study actually shows that it's much easier to start from "scratch" with Linux than it is with Windows. I remember I read that somewhere, not exactly where though.

if you ever remember, i wouldn't mind seeing that link so i can bookmark it. it may well come in useful.
i voted "no". choice is always a good thing.

Condoulo
May 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
I don't know if you realize this or not, but Ubuntu is the easiest non-commercial Linux dsitro out there. I mean yeah, the command line is used, but people will end up copying and pasting commands anyway, so does it matter? Dell is doing a great thing by bringing Linux so the masses.

newlinux
May 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
And you can get away with doing almost everything the average user does without using the commandline.

I'd like to see this link too...

chocbar31
May 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM
It's not like dell is known for having stellar support for the current machines and OS... If you are dell why not see how it goes? Building some good will with Linux users will probably be a good thing long term.

The stellar support is here. UbuntuForums is pretty much inevitable if you use Ubuntu. Dell will have the same type of forum for its product....but I say they will come here anyways, cause there is no other forum in the world as helpful, informative, and down-right interesting to visit daily.

:D

hobieone
May 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

not sure wher you got this idea from! niether me nor my wife know any coding knowledge and we use ubuntu perfectly fine. for everything and the setup and configuring thing for the most part is not that difficult.

aysiu
May 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure what the OP means by "coding knowledge," but I do think some customers who buy Ubuntu desktops might get a little frustrated if their screen resolutions aren't properly detected, and then they end up having to add the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

/etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst (the other two most commonly-edited config files by newcomers) should be non-issues, since Ubuntu will come preinstalled and preconfigured.

And the /etc/X11/xorg.conf should also be a non-issue for laptops that come preinstalled and preconfigured.

chocbar31
May 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
LOL!!! I installed Ubuntu on my two teenage daughters' computers several weeks ago and haven't had a single complaint yet. The fourteen year-old couldn't wait to get it, because her machine had slowed to a crawl under Windows (the result of spy-ware). The next day after I installed Ubuntu she had already rearranged her desktop and had a new theme on it as well. I didn't even have to explain Open Office to them, they just started using it.

I also installed Beryl on both of their machines. They think it's great!

Other than taking me a few days to get the printer (old Minolta color laser) set up and operating properly, I've been amazed at just how trouble-free the transition has been. I really expected to be helping them with it constantly for a while, but NOPE. They immediately accepted Ubuntu Linux, and the OS has been operating problem free ever since.

BTW, I'm a newbie myself, having just converted over in early April of this year.

IMO, it has been my experience to get myself into trouble as a professional, as opposed to novice users who "Just uses a computer".

I am a gamer, so I (need?) to tweak for better perfomance - breakage!
I am desktop support and love automating/scripting (Cut-N-Paste) - breakage!
I love tweaking apps to perform flawlessly - breakage!

I break my system all the time, this not limited to Ubuntu, as this is Global to me.

On-the-other hand...my wife only knows how to surf, edit MySpace, email, use Yahoo, and sift through craigslist. - Never breakage!

arvevans
May 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
My Barber uses Linux.
My Dentist uses Linux.
My Doctor uses Linux.
The 13 year old who lives across the street uses Linux.

The risk would seem to be that soon you may not have the choice of a non-Posix based operating system for your computer. When Microsoft is gone, all the remaining operating systems will be UNIX derivatives. OS-X, Linux, Minix, BSD, BSD-Lite, Solaris, HP-UX, etc. are all UNIX derivatives or were written directly from the Posix standards document. BeOS is apparently dead and other DOS based Windows clones all seem to have been killed off by Microsoft.

;)

Arv
_._

aysiu
May 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
I think these "my _______ uses Ubuntu and has no problems" posts are well-intentioned but also miss the fact that the most likely purchasers of Ubuntu computers at Dell are the same people who currently install Ubuntu themselves:

1. Those who already have Ubuntu and/or Linux experience
2. Those who are Windows power users and are curious about Ubuntu and/or Linux

The second group has peculiar computing needs (PC gaming, other specialized Windows-only software) and desires (Beryl and other beta software). They are not typically the email/surf web/play solitaire/word process/listen to music crowd. So they may either have to or be told to drop to the command-line at some point.

That said, I think the problem the OP mentions is exaggerated. If anything, things will be a lot better than they are now in terms of support. Right now, on the forums (and the support is coming from the forums, not Dell) we constantly have to deal with people encountering installation and hardware compatibility problems. If Ubuntu is preinstalled and preconfigured by Dell, more than half of the beginner questions we currently get will be go away (at least from the Dell-Ubuntu customers).

newlinux
May 22nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
The stellar support is here. UbuntuForums is pretty much inevitable if you use Ubuntu. Dell will have the same type of forum for its product....but I say they will come here anyways, cause there is no other forum in the world as helpful, informative, and down-right interesting to visit daily.

:D

My point was that the support issue (poor support) hasn't stopped them before... So I don't think it will be the defining issue for Ubuntu machines.

If they are new users just trying linux, many of them won't come here initially, althoug I agree -- here is where they will get "stellar" support. I know a few ubuntu users who never use the forums (as much as I tell them to come here).

Tomosaur
May 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM

Wrong. I never needed to code anything to get Ubuntu working - or indeed any flavour of Linux. If you're talking about 'using the command line', then yes, sometimes it's much easier than figuring out how to do such and such through the GUI. Command lines aren't codes however, and I wish there'd be more of a drive to educate people about this. As soon as they hear 'You have to code on Linux' they think 'uh oh', but what they actually should be hearing is 'Linux has an amazingly powerful command line, if you're that way inclined'.

You very rarely NEED to use the terminal - it's just a very handy tool to have.

aysiu
May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Even that can be misleading, as the few times you need to use the terminal, you can usually copy and paste (through point and click) commands instead of retyping them.

jcconnor
May 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I was under the impression that Canonical's support team would be handling the support calls for Ubuntu / and or providing Dell with their 2nd or 3rd level support? So I don't see the tech support thing being an issue.

bitdefuser
May 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM

I am a Linux user... -.-
It's a little hard to get used to it but, I was thinking about the other people. :p

Condoulo
May 23rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
I am a Linux user... -.-
It's a little hard to get used to it but, I was thinking about the other people.

You know the reason Ubuntu is the most used distribution, cause it is the easiest to use Non-commercial Linux distribution.