PDA

View Full Version : kde 3.5.7 is now released !

brazzmonkey
May 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.7.php
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-357.php

maagimies
May 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.7.php
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-357.phpI've already been running it for a while on Arch, works nicely.

Kobalt
May 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Downloading now, we'll see...

juxtaposed
May 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
And I'm still running 3.5.5 :P

KDE 3.5.7

Debian
Install from Debian Unstable

Great :/ Maybe I should just go to unstable...

brazzmonkey
May 22nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
running fine here

Ruthenium
May 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Works great and now I can finally watch youtube video in akregator when there's a link in a feed ^^

ThinkBuntu
May 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Wake us up when 4 comes out...

lyceum
May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
I sware, just reading about it gives me a headake! Why does everything have to start with "K"? I hope they fix THAT bug by KDE 4.0

igknighted
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I sware, just reading about it gives me a headake! Why does everything have to start with "K"? I hope they fix THAT bug by KDE 4.0

and all the gnome stuff that starts with a 'g' (gnumeric, GIMP, gedit etc...), oh dear! Sure its not on the same level, but there are a lot. Honestly, if you are picking apps due to the name and not merit, you should rethink some things.

juxtaposed
May 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM

That is annoying. K isn't even a cool letter (unlike X)

and all the gnome stuff that starts with a 'g' (gnumeric, GIMP, gedit etc...), oh dear! Sure its not on the same level, but there are a lot. Honestly, if you are picking apps due to the name and not merit, you should rethink some things.

Much much less gnome stuff starts with g :P

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Is this available through apt, or do I have to compile it myself to set it up?

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
it's not available in the repos. It'll be the default for Gutsy, of course. Gutsy may also have KDE4.0 beta.

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
What's the easiest way for me to test 5.4.7, then?

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hey, wait. Just grabbed the 'kde' package from synaptic, and it shows the installed version as '5:47'. Sweet, I'll see if it actually is the newest version.

Edit; Nope - still 4.6

lyceum
May 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM

In Ubuntu everything does not start with "g" so I guess I never realized...

brazzmonkey
May 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
if you'd followed the kubuntu link i provide in my first post, you'd get an answer to your question.

Kingsley
May 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
I just upgraded and now I'm getting frequent program crashes. Back to 3.5.6 I go.

I wasn't thinking and forgot to log in and out. KDE 3.5.7 is working just fine now.

loathsome
May 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
if you'd followed the kubuntu link i provide in my first post, you'd get an answer to your question.

Yes, figured that out.

Anyway, I tested it out and it's still as bad as the old version. MAN I hate KDE! Plus it made a huge mess in GNOME (yes, GNOME). Every time I launched Gaim the stupid "Knotify crash" thing popped up.

I tried to do a
apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop but no, apt said that it was not installed. WTF?!
Any ideas what the hell could've happened? I didn't do anything .. out of the ordinary. Just surfed and messed around with theme settings etc.

Another thing that REALLY bothers me is this; K!! WHY DOES every damn app have to start with a K?

Yeah, back to a fresh Feisty install with GNOME - the best of the best:KS

juxtaposed
May 23rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Anyway, I tested it out and it's still as bad as the old version. MAN I hate KDE! Plus it made a huge mess in GNOME (yes, GNOME). Every time I launched Gaim the stupid "Knotify crash" thing popped up.

Well, I don't know about that crash, but the thing that used to annoy me was all the KDE programs that came with it that I didn't need.

So, I just installed either kdebase or kde-core (not sure which one...).

Another thing that REALLY bothers me is this; K!! WHY DOES every damn app have to start with a K?

It's even worse when they try and force it into a word. If something starts with a C, then putting a K wouldn't be bad. But where you said something about Knotify... Thats overdoing it.

Detonate
May 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I just upgrade to it, and have only been using 3.5.7 for a few minutes now, but everything seems to be working smoothly, and things seem faster.

plb
May 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Generally speaking, I'd say the majority of KDE apps are much more advanced than anything of Gnomes. I'm not even a KDE fanboy but it is a FACT that QT is technically superior to GTK+

brazzmonkey
May 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
i didn't mean to start a troll nor a kde/gnome discussion. i just wanted kde users to be aware of this update. so please folks don't waste your time arguing.

qazwsx
May 23rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Coooooool!!!!
Konqueror now tells you if hyperlink under your cursor is going to open in new tab/window. NICE!!!!
Just a tiny thing but it is extremely usefull. Just like in 3.5.6 stop/reload button.

Thanks for information.

awakatanka
May 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM

Like gmenu editor,gedit,gnormalize,Gajim ( has a new name),Glipper,gPodder,gFTP,gimp and zillions of other names.

It was done so people could easly see if it was for kde or gnome.

Thxs for link will try a distro that has it ready.

Ateo
May 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Gutsy may also have KDE4.0 beta.

While I eagerly wait for KDE4, I hope Gusty isn't released with it.

BTW, does 3.5.7 seem more responsive? I find that my apps launch quicker now.

Ateo
May 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Probably for the same reason many Gnome apps start with a G. Hmm. Amarok doesn't start with a K.